Sign in to follow this  
magneto

Manchester United F.C. vs Liverpool F.C. 24 February, 14:05

Nothing was said either about Bobby not getting to the back pass before DeGea. Could have been at least a penno if he was first to the ball.

Odd to say that the game's most important moment was in the first minute but in this case it's probably true. If Firmino doesn't pull out of that then a variety of scenarios all become possible.

Having had a day to think about the match, I do think the pressure is getting into the team and its affecting everyone. Maybe we are not ready to win the premiership but the way we played yesterday looked like we often chose the safer option, rather than threading the balls into dangerous areas. When we did thread those balls, Salah couldnt hold the ball to save his life, while Mane received it, only to miscommunicate with a team mate and hand the ball back to the opposition. It didnt matter whether we play against the second string - with the way Man Utd sets itself up, you dont really need good players. They would try passing out from the back, fail at it and Young would just lump it down the touchline for Rashford or someone else to run it down. Rashford only needs to hold the ball, cut it back to his team-mate, who then crosses it to the farpost and hope the ball drops in a dangerous area long enough for someone to latch onto it. Rise and repeat. 

With us, everyone wanted to receive the ball near the halfway line. When we passed it, our front three (or two) couldnt hold onto it long enough. You start realizing maybe its not their day so what happens? You play it safe. Or as it happened, you send it down the wings to Milner and Robertson, let them cross it and hope for the best. Unfortunately, that's not the way we score goals, and made worse by Firmino's injury. 

I actually thought we defended well and the midfield did well too. Football's a funny game, but I thought Gini and Fab played well contrary to most people's views. I struggle to think what would happen if Fab didnt play - he made a good number of crucial interceptions and tackles. 

I also dont think Smalling could have connected with that header even if he tried, its definitely further than it looks. 

what's really bugging me about the Sturridge sub is that everyone agrees it was a terrible sub, everyone anticipated it to be so and the reaction in the ground wasn't very optimistic either

but our manager thought it was a good idea

so what's going on?

what's really bugging me about the Sturridge sub is that everyone agrees it was a terrible sub, everyone anticipated it to be so and the reaction in the ground wasn't very optimistic either

but our manager thought it was a good idea

so what's going on?

Presumably he's scoring for fun/playing well in training?

Or Klopp's thinking he might score a worldie like the goal against Chelsea at some point in the future.

Sadly neither seems to have a bearing on recent performances in competitive games

Edited by TommoK

Presumably he's scoring for fun/playing well in training?

Or Klopp's thinking he might score a worldie like the goal against Chelsea at some point in the future.

Sadly neither seems to have a bearing on recent performances in competitive games

Think it was about keeping the same shape and mentality

theres a real stigma about subbing a sub. if sturridge had started klopp would have hauled him off on 60.

I don’t care. Rafa and Houllier both did it when it needed doing.

Anyone got a good reason why De Gea shouldn’t have been sent off when he gave us that free kick?

Decided it’s absolutely ridiculous he wasn’t sent off and that our reward for being denied a goalscoring opportunity was an indirect f***ing free kick.

Anyone got a good reason why De Gea shouldn’t have been sent off when he gave us that free kick?

Decided it’s absolutely ridiculous he wasn’t sent off and that our reward for being denied a goalscoring opportunity was an indirect f***ing free kick.

He gave the free kick for a back pass didn’t he? Firmino didn’t touch it. If he does de gea gets sent.

I thought Oliver was boss to be honest. One of the reasons our performance was so disappointing.

Yeah, but why’s it not a red? It’s denying a goalscoring opportunity. He’s handballed it to stop us scoring. It’s mad how it’s a free kick and not a penalty anyway.

It isn’t a criticism of the ref cos he’s done nothing wrong, football just has stupid laws.

Edited by Hightown Phil

Yeah no qualms with the ref at all

Was all on us being gutless across the team. Not even close to 50% of how we know we can play. Doing our best to throw away an incredible opportunity... So many points clear and we mess up... Three significant players injured and taken off the pitch in a match that could sway things in our favour and we go and f*** up the opportunity in that fashion...

Need to make amends and fast. Being out of the cup matches and fewer games hasn't led to us taking any kind of advantage over others with the extra games... The opposite if anything.