By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

West Ham Utd v Liverpool Football Club - Monday, 8pm

Case

you just said that the league wont be decided by a player playing a handful of games in the last 6months, what about Origi, what about Macheda etc... yeah it matters whether you would like to admit it or not is irrelevant.

how do you know he wont? he is a brilliant defensive fullback much better defensively than Trent.

How many qualifiers did you want me to put? The difference between first striker off the bench and 3rd choice right back is pretty self-evident.

As for Clyne's defensive talents - we seem to have done pretty well without him. 

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this might be a fairly comfortable win for us - three or four goals minimum.

They've lost their last three but they're at home to the best side in the country, so whilst they'll probably try to keep it tight for the first 20 minutes, one of two things should happen :

1 ) They'll fail, as their defence is porous and confidence is fragile. We'll score early and they'll buckle.

2 ) It will remain 0-0 but their indiscipline will begin to force them to push out, mistakenly believing they can get a result.

We'll react positively to the Leicester result, we have quality players retuning to full fitness and it's possible City will drop more points at home to Arsenal

1 point against Leicester is disappointing, but 4 pts against Leicester and West Ham and extending our lead over City...marvellous

I propose that we stop going on about Clyne and concentrate on this post instead. I'm pretty optimistic we will have a positive reaction and bladder West Ham everywhere. Not so sure about Arsenal.

How many qualifiers did you want me to put? The difference between first striker off the bench and 3rd choice right back is pretty self-evident.

As for Clyne's defensive talents - we seem to have done pretty well without him. 

as many as it takes to make your argument valid i suppose. The difference is there s no difference, we had a need and he came in and filled it and did a great job and he would still be doing a great job now in place of slow midfielders getting skinned by pacey wingers and costing us points. You realize scoring goals and winning us point is no different than preventing us from conceding goals which also wins us points.

as many as it takes to make your argument valid i suppose. The difference is there s no difference, we had a need and he came in and filled it and did a great job and he would still be doing a great job now in place of slow midfielders getting skinned by pacey wingers and costing us points. You realize scoring goals and winning us point is no different than preventing us from conceding goals which also wins us points.

Are you his agent?

And he's comfortably worse at attacking than all of them. How many top sides can you think of who's full backs have 'defending' as their biggest strength?

It's defending first for a fullback then attacking, if you cant defend then it doesn't matter how good you are going forward, ie.. Moreno. I dont know how many have defense as their biggest strength, how many of our midfielders playing as fullback have attacking as their main strength?

Are you his agent?

anything else to add or is this the limit of your ability to back up your point?

Edited by Farmer's Tan

It's defending first for a fullback then attacking, if you cant defend then it doesn't matter how good you are going forward, ie.. Moreno. I dont know how many have defense as their biggest strength, how many of our midfielders playing as fullback have attacking as their main strength?

It might well be in your opinion but I think that quite clearly in the opinion of the managers of the best football sides on earth that it isn't the case in football today. Which top sides have defensive full backs? 

Our first choice right back is a converted central midfielder, our second choice this season has been an actual centre back who is a much better defender than he is attacker and people don't want him anywhere near the right back position. Granted that's mostly because they want him at centre back, but it's also because he's offering considerably less than Trent. We scored a fantastic goal at City the other week that involved one full back playing a 40 yard cross field ball to the other one with his wrong foot. Full backs at top sides play further up and are involved more than is suitable for Clyne's game. He's a perfectly fine Premier League full back. Just not for a team who has 60% possession and spends their time on the front foot.

It might well be in your opinion but I think that quite clearly in the opinion of the managers of the best football sides on earth that it isn't the case in football today. Which top sides have defensive full backs? 

Our first choice right back is a converted central midfielder, our second choice this season has been an actual centre back who is a much better defender than he is attacker and people don't want him anywhere near the right back position. Granted that's mostly because they want him at centre back, but it's also because he's offering considerably less than Trent. We scored a fantastic goal at City the other week that involved one full back playing a 40 yard cross field ball to the other one with his wrong foot. Full backs at top sides play further up and are involved more than is suitable for Clyne's game. He's a perfectly fine Premier League full back. Just not for a team who has 60% possession and spends their time on the front foot.

It depends on the style of football the team is playing doesn't it ? Mourinho plays using wingers as full backs but their main tactic is defense first,  i doubt you would see either Valencia or that other little s***, Young getting forward as much as Robertson. so suggesting that every top fullback has to full on attacking isn't accurate it just depends on the style of the team they are playing in.

Edited by Farmer's Tan

anything else to add or is this the limit of your ability to back up your point?

You’re arguing semantics and being needlessly obtuse for the sake of a guy who has barely played, wanted to leave and wouldn’t have made a difference. It’s not like we decided to loan out Baresi when our next best defender is a cactus is it?

It depends on the style of football the team is playing doesn't it ? Mourinho plays using wingers as full backs but their main tactic is defense first,  i doubt you would see either Valencia or that other little s***, Young getting forward as much as Robertson. so suggesting that every top fullback has to full on attacking isn't accurate it just depends on the style of the team they are playing in.

Antonio Valencia and Ashley Young are converted wingers!

I propose that we stop going on about Clyne and concentrate on this post instead. I'm pretty optimistic we will have a positive reaction and bladder West Ham everywhere. Not so sure about Arsenal.

I'm thinking 3-3. I can't see Arsenal keeping a clean sheet - particularly with injuries in defence -  but they're very capable of scoring a couple against City.

[Klopp] confirmed Trent Alexander-Arnold and Joe Gomez will not be back from injury in time for Monday’s trip to West Ham, with the latter unlikely to return before the Champions League tie with Bayern Munich on 19 February. Klopp said: “I don’t think it would be a realistic target for Bayern. After that, any time, you will see.”

Seems like we have beaten them easily at their place of late but every game now seems like a potential banana peel. Thank God Kloppo and the boys take every game as they come and hopefully we will have too much for a team that looks pretty poor of late.

Edited by Bootle Buck