Extreme weather

Glad our place is protected by the side of a small valley - the wind's ripping right through at the moment.

Apparently a BA plane did JFK to Heathrow in sub-5 hours today the winds were so strong. Fastest sub-sonic flight on that route ever

Imagine the turbulence.........

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That along with a palm tree having its leaves blasted and some corrugated iron getting ripped up and the stage will be set for a game of bulls*** Bingo - weather edition.

Temperature here is currently minus 4 Fahrenheit. With the wind chill it's minus 24. For some unknown reason, school has not been cancelled or delayed. I'm not long back from taking my neighbor's kids to school so they wouldn't have to stand outside waiting for their bus. Binmen/trash collectors are working through this cold, poor b*****ds.

Edited by Nebraska Red

South Wales got a right kicking from Dennis yesterday. Pretty much every river in South Wales hit record levels overnight. We're 50m from the Taff but fortunately we're on the side of a hill leading down to it so no damage to ours - loads of flooding to the south of us though. It's a mess.

Edited by Gethin
  • 2 months later...

So is this weather coincidental or what? 

I can't recall an April like this, with warm weather for this length of time - not one day of typical April showers. 

Lack of air traffic in the jet stream? 

7 minutes ago, Earl Hafler said:

I can't recall an April like this, with warm weather for this length of time - not one day of typical April showers. 

It was hotter this time last year iirc. Its been a good dry spell tho, must be having an effect, that and reduced road traffic.

21 minutes ago, Earl Hafler said:

This is pretty much identical to April 17 - had a good few weeks of gorgeous weather like this.

The lines between seasons are already very blurred

I think that October to the end of February was one of the wettest spells ever recorded in this country. We then follow it up with no rain for months. Climate breakdown, eh?

32 minutes ago, Gethin said:

This is pretty much identical to April 17 - had a good few weeks of gorgeous weather like this.

The lines between seasons are already very blurred

Was that the high pressure from the East? There was a cold spell and then weeks later a similar pattern brought mild weather? We didn't get it as much in the South West as London and East Anglia. 

Because of the short distance between the coasts there's usually a band of cumulus clouds visible along one of them during mild Spring or Autumn weather ( often shifts coasts with the turn of the tide) and yet there's been nothing, or just whispy stratus like stuff. 

3 minutes ago, Earl Hafler said:

Was that the high pressure from the East? There was a cold spell and then weeks later a similar pattern brought mild weather? We didn't get it as much in the South West as London and East Anglia. 

Because of the short distance between the coasts there's usually a band of cumulus clouds visible along one of them during mild Spring or Autumn weather ( often shifts coasts with the turn of the tide) and yet there's been nothing, or just whispy stratus like stuff. 

Well we're in the Brecon Beacons and I remember it being lovely - mainly because we had a rush of last minute bookings from people wanting to come cycle in the area without any rain :)

• 3 months later...

Having recently moved to a city not too far from the north Atlantic Coast  of Florida, we will experience our first major storm tomorrow. Fingers crossed it's not too bad. The neighbors don't seem particularly worried, and the weather today is spectacular.  The beach was great this morning and there  may  well be a trip to the  pool later.

On 01/08/2020 at 18:26, Nebraska Red said:

Having recently moved to a city not too far from the north Atlantic Coast  of Florida, we will experience our first major storm tomorrow. Fingers crossed it's not too bad. The neighbors don't seem particularly worried, and the weather today is spectacular.  The beach was great this morning and there  may  well be a trip to the  pool later.

Good luck, hope the storm is/was not too wild, be interested to hear how it went. I  haven't been caught in any particularly stormy weather, apart from tropical rains in various parts of Asia.

4 hours ago, DonRafa said:

Good luck, hope the storm is/was not too wild, be interested to hear how it went. I  haven't been caught in any particularly stormy weather, apart from tropical rains in various parts of Asia.

So far, so good. Just some rain. Might get a bit more  turbulent overnight, but not expected to be as bad as first predicted a few days back.

Glad to hear it.  I guess Florida is one of the coastal states most affected by turbulent weather in the hurricane season, so you'll no doubt be in for some 'interesting' times. 

This latest storm ended up as a bit of a non event for us, where we are in Florida. It may have more impact as it heads up the coast. However, there will be more to come. Hopefully, we get our stand by generator installed before the really big ones show up.

We got absolutely battered by this storm that came through today. The worst since Sandy. Tree landed on my wife’s car as she was driving. She’s ok but the car is f*cked. She really got lucky. One second later and she would have been dead. Masses of trees down everywhere and power outages. 

On 04/08/2020 at 23:16, New York Red said:

We got absolutely battered by this storm that came through today. The worst since Sandy. Tree landed on my wife’s car as she was driving. She’s ok but the car is f*cked. She really got lucky. One second later and she would have been dead. Masses of trees down everywhere and power outages. 

Blimey.

Look after yourselves