By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Dogs

Tobes Rafa

Everyone knows dog owners love to talk about their dogs yet a quick search found a thread on pet insurance and surprisingly chickens.

I've never had a dog in my life yet we as a family are now considering getting one as a little friend for my adopted daughter who has FASD. I only mention this as a support dog for this would normally be a retriever but being new to the whole thing I think we'd prefer to start with something a little smaller.

I think a Cavalier King Charles is topping the list at the moment due to their personality but I'd love an English bulldog which are equally as friendly and good with kids from what I've read. Also sturdy enough that she couldn't swing it around my the lead.

So, tell me about your dogs, whether they're suitable for my needs or not, im enjoying the research. If you've any suggestions for other family dogs for first time owners, please fire ahead.

Cheers

I have a Shetland Sheepdog (small version of Lassie).

Great family pets. Really good with kids. Easy to train. Love to play, funny & full of personality. Only downside is they shed hair - but if your daughter likes brushing hair then that’s no problem.

We did Jimbo cheers. They were all a little too lively there to be honest. Checking all the websites and Facebook pages as we will probably opt for a rescue rather than buying a puppy.

Cheers all, lots to consider. I love the big dogs proper dogs like rotties, boxers, staffies, bulldogs but other than the English bulldog they're not really suitable for the young'uns, or at least that's my wife's view.

We know some people with cockapoos who say the same so they're definitely an option. I really don't want a yappy dog though.

Edited by Tobes Rafa

I’ve got a black Lab, fantastic dog, so loving and gentle who someday will obey a command.

Don’t go for a bulldog, they all suffer breathing problems and are also a magnet for dognappers.

A fantastic dog to start with for a child would be a Bichon Frise.

When we went to the rescue place we were told we couldn’t have one cos my son was too young.

Basically they can’t guarantee the safety of the kids cos they don’t know the history of the dog. Which is kinda fair enough.

We did Jimbo cheers. They were all a little too lively there to be honest. Checking all the websites and Facebook pages as we will probably opt for a rescue rather than buying a puppy.

Cheers all, lots to consider. I love the big dogs proper dogs like rotties, boxers, staffies, bulldogs but other than the English bulldog they're not really suitable for the young'uns, or at least that's my wife's view.

We know some people with cockapoos who say the same so they're definitely an option. I really don't want a yappy dog though.

Ours isn't a yapper, does a bit of wolf howling now and again and the usual barking at the postman etc.

Black Lab. I've had a few of them. Great, great dogs. They love kids.

However, my wife cares for guide dogs, so we have a revolving door of dogs at our house. She's been bringing home Labrador/Golden Retriever mixes. They are the gentlest, most loving dogs imaginable. Have a look at them.

Red2Core -- how is that JackPat? I would have to imagine that he'd be a wild little bugger. Is he? 

Golden Retrievers are beautiful, devoted and completely stupid, everything a dog should be.

I prefer clever dogs. I've always had border collies. Too clever by half sometimes and they need a lot of exercise but always full of cocky character.

Retrievers and labradors are lovely dogs though.

Edited by Redwire