Sign in to follow this  
cymrococh

Kevin Keegan

You're preaching to the choir. He was a bit before my time but I remember watching that series "Match of the 70s" which was an hour of each season, and really seeing how important ad brilliant he was. 

Kenny was better but KK was f***ing great. Him & Tosh...

Tosh made him. Of course.

That’ll do it.

Keegan's also on some documetary refusing a photo opportunity with Thatcher, something he presumably changed his mind about afterwards.

I held that against him far more than leaving LFC to go to Hamburg.

Probably because we became a much better side after (not because) he left. A lot of the greats are either before our time or they won 'just a league and a cup'. From 76-84 we were relentless

No we didn't.

No we didn't.

Is right. 73 to 77 was a brilliant side too - 3 league titles, 2 UEFA Cups, 1 European Cup, 1 FA Cup - that's a fantastic return and Keegan was at his peak for us in those years.

Is right. 73 to 77 was a brilliant side too - 3 league titles, 2 UEFA Cups, 1 European Cup, 1 FA Cup - that's a fantastic return and Keegan was at his peak for us in those years.

It's a pure matter of opinion but for me that 1977 side was the best of it's time we've ever had, purely because of the sum of the parts.

What does this actually mean?

It means that today's side would beat any side from the 70's, that Lennox Lewis would have flattened Rocky Marciano, that Federer would have mullered Ken Rosewall. The game today is so much quicker and the players bigger, fitter and more athletic but that's just the way it is and the way it always was.

That 77 Team was a deflected, spawny Brian Greenhoff goal from doing the Treble - at a time when the Double was uncommon, and no team dominated like we then went on to do (and then so did...you know).

But as Paisley masterfully did year-on-year, he made the best even better - as Kenny, Souness and Hansen took over the leading roles.

Keegan was just fantastic for us, not least in his last ever game. Not only did he not string us along - he went public on his move a long time before - he never shirked any effort in the meantime. As has been mentioned, Vogts was possibly the best defender in the world at the time, especially at man-marking, and Kevin left him a broken man that night.