By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Weird football things/stats that just don't sound right

There's f***ing loads I find weird about the fact that Ward-Prowse's 8 now places him at equal fourth for direct free kicks in the Premier League since Opta started keeping stats on it in 2003.

Firstly, why did they only start keeping stats on it in 2003?  They were keeping stats on all sorts of obscure s*** well before then - from memory Houllier was a fan of their stats.

Secondly, I can't believe this is the league table for direct free-kicks in the Premier League since 2003:

David Beckham

Thierry Henry

Gianfranco Zola

Sebastian Larsson

Cristiano Ronaldo

Laurent Robert

Morten Gamst Pedersen

Ian Harte

Frank Lampard

Jamie Redknapp

Nolberto Solano

Christian Eriksen

Juan Mata

James Ward-Prowse

Those are some pretty paltry numbers.   Apparently these are the numbers for the top 5 leagues since 2010

ENHDoAmXkAE-Zox?format=jpg&name=small

Based on that, scoring 1 goal a season for a decade will get you fourth on that list.

I was thinking, while brushing my teeth - when I do all my important thinking - that if TAA really steps up his free-kick game, we could maybe count on him getting 5-6 a season.

Having looked at the numbers now, it appears that if he scores two a season for for the next seven seasons, he'll equal Beckham's tally at the top of that first list.

So I suppose what we have learned is that people hardly ever score free kicks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pinched this from Quora. The biggest cities in Britain without football teams.

I’m going to take the definition of ‘cities’ literally. We have formal ‘cities’ in the UK which are distinct from urban and built-up areas. I’ll also take football team to mean top 6 English leagues - so professional, but the best semi-professional (which might have a shot of getting into the big leagues); or the top leagues in the other nations.

I make it Wakefield - population 325,000 in the metropolitan district named after it (so not just the city), and very much a Rugby League city, with no top 6 league football team either in the city or the metropolitan district.

Next up is the City of Westminster. London of course has many teams but Westminster is officially its own city and doesn’t have one.

If both of those are cheats then I think its Canterbury, population 150,000, with a team in the Southern Counties East League Premier Division. I’ve never really understood why Kent hardly has any teams, but it doesn’t.

Other cities with no teams in the top 6 leagues include Lancaster, Winchester, Worcester, Durham, and most of the small cities: Ripon, Ely, St David’s, St Asaph, Wells, City of London etc.

I think in 300 years historians will look at Brexit and say but of course none of these places that voted for it had a decent football team and that is what they meant by being left behind.  If there was a club it had recently been relegated and wasn’t coming back.

1 hour ago, Ripley said:

The easy to believe bit: Christian Benteke’s 2 goals today take him to 6 from 82 games for Palace. 

The slightly harder to believe bit: This takes him to joint 3rd on Palace’s top scorers in the PL

He got something like 17 in his first season from memory so that must be 6 in his last 82. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, LFCNeil90 said:

Saw these earlier:

Kabak is the first Premier League player with a palindromic name signed on a palindromic date (1/2/21)

Sheyi Ojo was signed by Liverpool as a 14-year old on 11 November 2011 - or 11/11/11.

I'm confused. Doesn't that second fact contradict the first one?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, stressederic said:

This sort of qualifies:

I heard a programme on the radio four about probability and statistics and the expert egghead they had excitedly raving on and on off his rocker said something like there’s at least a dozen families in Britain where everyone including the ma and da and kids all have the same birthday.  

But I reckon that’s b******s.  

That’s just Griezman having some sort of condition.