Sir Tokyo Sexwale

Footy - 2018/19 & 19/20

40 minutes ago, Hassony said:

For me there are 4 steps to improve VAR

Fix the issue with the offside rule

Get rid of that handball leading to a goal rule 

Force the refs to look at the monitor for violent tackles/penalty incidents 

And ban any pundits who brings up VAR pre, during or post match

Many of the pundits are aggravating matters.

How is it that neither BT Sport commentator knew about VAR and restarts when Bruges scored from a goal kick where the ball was moving?

Struggling to remember any controversial incidents that haven't been reviewed by VAR at all. That's the only thing a coach's challenge would help with.

52 minutes ago, Hassony said:

For me there are 4 steps to improve VAR

Fix the issue with the offside rule

Get rid of that handball leading to a goal rule 

Force the refs to look at the monitor for violent tackles/penalty incidents 

And ban any pundits who brings up VAR pre, during or post match

how do you solve #1?

There should be a time limit. 30s, maybe 45 even a minute. If you can't come to a decision in that time, original call stands. 

It was brought in to correct obvious errors, if you can't see within a minute then it can't be an obvious error

1 minute ago, Sir Tokyo Sexwale said:

how do you solve #1?

There should be a time limit. 30s, maybe 45 even a minute. If you can't come to a decision in that time, original call stands. 

It was brought in to correct obvious errors, if you can't see within a minute then it can't be an obvious error

Probably 10 seconds is all you need in reality 

The time limit one is something that should be brought in. If you can't prove something either way with camera footage in 30 seconds - 1 minute then it's not clear and obvious.

I don't think the appeals idea will really work or change much. Take the Leicester - City game. Even if Leicester had directly appealed that De Brunye handball why would it become more likely it would be given?

11 minutes ago, Earl Hafler said:

Many of the pundits are aggravating matters.

How is it that neither BT Sport commentator knew about VAR and restarts when Bruges scored from a goal kick where the ball was moving?

Refs are getting away with murder this season because the focus has been on VAR rather than them 

I wonder if that le Celso tackle happend in the CL, I'm sure Oliver would have gone to the monitor,  they're shrinking responsibility on purpose in the league 

2 hours ago, Gethin said:

The problem isn't generally the situations that are getting reviews, it's some of the conclusions they're making when they review them. The system's being let down by the refs.

Surely there is also an issue of "deference" at play here?

Michael Oliver is generally regarded (even on this forum) as by far the best referee in the PL. He has officiated as high as a CL semi final. Nevertheless he was looking at the Lo Celso incident from a very short distance and saw nothing wrong. On VAR is David Coote, less than 2 years a PL referee with 23 games behind him (no straight reds, no significant appointments) and only weeks ago, after being put up for the international list by PGMOL, failing the Uefa fitness test (as did Andy Madley).

It is easy to believe that he would have a problem telling Oliver he had dropped a huge böllock. Just tell him to go and look at the pitchside monitor and pass the responsibility to where it belongs.

Then they even make him do a double shift and he doesn't call the even more obvious De Bruyne handball.

2 hours ago, Hightown Phil said:

It’s really easy to grasp. You effectively want more reviews. If you haven’t used it, you’ll use it late just for the hell of it. 

If you do use it and you’re wrong it won’t really matter cos you likely won’t need it.

Odd that you can’t grasp it then.

I don’t want more reviews. I might get more I might get less.

3 hours ago, Ripley said:

Surely there is also an issue of "deference" at play here?

Michael Oliver is generally regarded (even on this forum) as by far the best referee in the PL. He has officiated as high as a CL semi final. Nevertheless he was looking at the Lo Celso incident from a very short distance and saw nothing wrong. On VAR is David Coote, less than 2 years a PL referee with 23 games behind him (no straight reds, no significant appointments) and only weeks ago, after being put up for the international list by PGMOL, failing the Uefa fitness test (as did Andy Madley).

It is easy to believe that he would have a problem telling Oliver he had dropped a huge böllock. Just tell him to go and look at the pitchside monitor and pass the responsibility to where it belongs.

Then they even make him do a double shift and he doesn't call the even more obvious De Bruyne handball.

Should have a separate group of VAR refs from the ones on the pitch.

Napoli lead 1 nil after doing  nothing for 30 minutes. Barcelona defense wa missing again.

Edited by Nebraska Red

Just now, stressederic said:

I'm sure it's been asked before; but why did Arsenal sell him?

There’s a long read interview with him about it on BBC Sport today 

Just now, Gethin said:

There’s a long read interview with him about it on BBC Sport today 

Oh that's convenient! Do you think the BBC are running that sort of premptive service for all of my ponderings?

Hey, BBC: why did Eva Green take out that restraining order on me?

Gnabry is brilliant. Bayern have destroyed Chelsea here but it’s been so easy for them. Barkley has been comically bad.