Sign in to follow this  
Sir Tokyo Sexwale

holidays 2018

Do they still do ski freshers weeks? Get all the extras paid for you if you're a genuine beginner. We did that and it was ace.

Where in Sicily did you stay? And recos for areas etc? Looking to do a villa I think, it's pretty small isn't it?

Stayed in Taormina. Think that’s the nicest spot. It’s bigger than some of the Balearics.

Anyone know any good resorts near Alicante? Nice restaurants, close enough to toddler-friendly beaches is the kind of thing we’re looking for. Happy to go about 45 mins from the airport.

Anyone know any good resorts near Alicante? Nice restaurants, close enough to toddler-friendly beaches is the kind of thing we’re looking for. Happy to go about 45 mins from the airport.

Benidorm. Obvs.

Xabia (Javea) is nice. The in laws lived there for a few years. Good places to eat and drink on the front. Touristy enough for kids but not too overblown for parents. Safe beach for the kids and if you hire a car loads of great small beaches/coves for snorkeling. Trips to pretty towns with an hour's drive. Valencia on the train possible.

went to Torrevieja some years back - was good . 

Xabia (Javea) is nice. The in laws lived there for a few years. Good places to eat and drink on the front. Touristy enough for kids but not too overblown for parents. Safe beach for the kids and if you hire a car loads of great small beaches/coves for snorkeling. Trips to pretty towns with an hour's drive. Valencia on the train possible.

That looks good, cheers

Yeah, been looking in Torrevieja.

Neighbor just got back from Colorado. Blown out ACL, damage to her meniscus and possible Achilles tendon issues. Don't think I'll bother with skiing.

Well if your neighbor [sp] got injured then of course, best give it a miss.

What's all this neighbor b*llocks about anyway? I thought you were British.

I want to get myself skiing soon. I think the idea of all the extra costs has put us off in the past. How much do you actually have to hire if you haven't got any of the stuff already? Skis, boots, lift passes, lessons, salopettes and whatever else...

It's not that bad, if you plan appropriately.

Buy yourself a good jacket (SL will obviously assist), salopettes (not expensive) and obvious essential peripherals like socks, gloves, thermals etc. None of that is expensive (jacket apart). Loads of decent stuff available on eBay and in ski shops at this time of year.

First time you go, hire skis. poles, boots and a helmet. Depends where you go but that'll be maybe EUR 100-150 for a week. Price of a ski pass varies, can be EUR50/day in the more expensive resorts I guess.

And you need to get lessons.

The inexpensive way to do it is to get hold of all the gear that you need to buy between now and thue end of the year - then go on a short-ish break (cuts down the rental costs and the cost of the ski pass) and see if you like it. If you go somewhere for 3-4 days skiing and you hate it, you won't have shelled out a load of cash that you can't get back (sell you gear in eBay early/mid season and you'll get the majority of your outlay back). And you'll know in 3-4 days if you hate it or not.

Boarding is cool, but it's for younger men than you, with all due respect. :D

The real expense comes if you are shelling out for a whole bloody family to go (for the first time).

Javea and Gandia.

Can anyone recommend reaonably priced accommodation in Lake District area for 2 adults (and possibly 2 teenagers if they will come with us) for a week in August, or point me in right direction as to where to look online?

Don’t have my own tent/camping equipment so looking at campsite bungalow or mobile home type accommodation if anyone has any experience.

I've stayed here a couple of times - https://www.hillthwaite.com/

Its in Windermere, the hotel has an indoor pool and a very good restaurant, when I say 'hotel' it's really on a small scale - maybe 15-20 rooms. Prices were reasonable as far as I can remember given the location and time of year etc.

edit - sorry just saw that you're looking for a bungalow/mobile home rather than a hotel so disregard this as necessary!

Edited by DPD1973

Well if your neighbor [sp] got injured then of course, best give it a miss.

What's all this neighbor b*llocks about anyway? I thought you were British.

After 24 years, the spelling is second nature.

The neighbor's accident just gives me another reason not to risk further damage to my already replaced knees.

Off to:
Vietnam in April

Singapore + Bintan in May

Koh Samui at the end of June/early July

Marrakech in September

Langkawi in November/December

Trying to also fit in Luang Prabang if I can...

Lakes for a long weekend beginning of May

Ibiza end of May

Scotland in July

Disneyland Paris in August

Centerparcs in Ocotber

Edited by Dan

New York in October? Yes / no? With the missus and the kids (6 and 9 year olds)? Yes / no?

In answer to your last question - no, I'd go on your own

Thinking of a trip to Montenegro - anyone been, got any tips, recommendations etc?

Cheers

Edited by TommoK