• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Zealand South Island in August or November. Unsure if we want to go in Winter or Spring.

I lie it there. Me mate got married in Akaroa so we flew into Queenstown for a few days, drove to Wanaka for a few days then up to Akaroa. I'd like to go back

just guess

is it any good? annoyed by the Barbados lite evaluation

a Caribbean man told me it was the best place to go

I was only there for a couple of hours and I had a hangover from hell and I went to the sulphur springs. 

So like I say am of no use to whatsoever 

Anyone been to St Lucia?

Yep, Anse Chastanet 16-17 years ago... loved it. http://www.ansechastanet.com/

Its tucked away and as a result a bit isolated so not ideal if you want nightlife, easy access to the rest of the island etc. However, if you just want to chill for a week or two then its spot on, plus they have local activities scuba, fishing and the like to keep you occupied.  

I'm trying to save as much of my leave for when our kid comes to visit but I'm hoping me and the missus can find the time to get over to New Caledonia for a week.

Wanted to go to Noumea but me missus started reading up about it and she read there were snakes all over the shop. That was that f***ed

After the Thailand enquiry 24 hours back, Mrs.C decided last night that we are now going to Crete to some boutique-y hotel. Suits me, less flying hours, guarantee sun, plenty of island to explore if I get bored by the poool. 

Reckon you've made the right call. If you just want to relax for a couple of week in the sun there's closer places than Thailand to do it. Crete's a good choice 

If you're in Queenstown make sure you do a side trip to Milford Sound - stay overnight if the weather looks good as the stars are absolutely stunning if you get a clear night

Do you mean stay overnight in queenstown or Milford sound? We are planning on going to both. There is also lake nearby that looks good, can’t remember the name!!

Do you mean stay overnight in queenstown or Milford sound? We are planning on going to both. There is also lake nearby that looks good, can’t remember the name!!

Well worth checking the able tasman park near nelson. We have kayaked that every time we’ve been (6) awesome spot. Driving is so relaxed over there,although the west coast gets very dull. The glaciers and the gates of hass are good. Quesenstown is nice but full of rad a*******s wanakas great tho. And milford is spectacular (rained everytime i’ve been tho still well worth the trip) the caitlins on the south coast is beautiful and the otago peninsular near dunedin is too.

Off to vietnam and cambodia next weekend. Then rome, algarve,venice and new zealand in the next twelve months.

After the Thailand enquiry 24 hours back, Mrs.C decided last night that we are now going to Crete to some boutique-y hotel. Suits me, less flying hours, guarantee sun, plenty of island to explore if I get bored by the poool. 

I went to Crete last summer .....stayed here Rethymno. We had a car and went travelling on the days we could be bothered. It was very much a holiday like what you are looking for. Doing as little as possible but stuff to go and see if you could be bothered. We found some great places. There was one gorge that was stunning with a river and palm trees....hang on ..there ya go. 

Kourtaliotiko Gorge In Rethymno.....stunning. https://creti.co/blog/top-10-crete-gorges/

I am not one for returning to places but I think I'd like to see a bit more of Crete. 

Reckon you've made the right call. If you just want to relax for a couple of week in the sun there's closer places than Thailand to do it. Crete's a good choice 

I went to Crete last summer .....stayed here Rethymno. We had a car and went travelling on the days we could be bothered. It was very much a holiday like what you are looking for. Doing as little as possible but stuff to go and see if you could be bothered. We found some great places. There was one gorge that was stunning with a river and palm trees....hang on ..there ya go. 

Kourtaliotiko Gorge In Rethymno.....stunning. https://creti.co/blog/top-10-crete-gorges/

I am not one for returning to places but I think I'd like to see a bit more of Crete. 

I'm very happy with it - I've done a few Greek island in the past but not Crete and it looks fantastic - I can see myself taking a car out and going to the ancient ruins, the war cemeteries and even just bumming around in the mountains for a bit even if Mrs.C wants to stay pool-side. I know it's not far and it's 'only' Europe but I haven't looked forward to a holiday this much since we did the safari/Zanzibar thing a few years back.

And, yes, Jonesy, we're very close to Rethymnos and I remember your photos on FB - they looked great..

This was a great walk to do.. get dropped off very early in the morning walk down the gorge to the sea.. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samari%C3%A1_Gorge