Sign in to follow this  
Tommy Cockles

Trent Alexander-Arnold

he gets more space to move into where he is, and is in the right part of the pitch to whip crosses in, or hit crossfield passes.

he's not really playing right back anyway, more right midfield in a sort of 2-5-3 when we attack

Yep, this! The space piece is key. Stick him in midfield and he'll have an opposition player close to him. I reckon he'd do a useful job there but his ability to influence a game is unprecedented...leave him where he is and work on his one on one defending

I just can’t see any reason why you’d move him anytime soon. He’s too influential where he is. It ain’t broke.

Maybe the right time will come in the future.

When he's getting more assists from right back than the best midfielders in the league, why would you move him when the replacement RB would never be as creative and he won't necessarily increase his assists from the middle? Keep him where he is and add to our midfield creativity.

I think the only reason people talk about him moving to midfield is a residual belief that the best players play further forward (why for example player of the year awards are rarely won by defenders). But the game has changed and the fullback position is rare more important these days to attacking play. It would be daft for him to move when he's our key playmaker where he is

It’s a well established thing that good passers play in midfield where they can deliver to dangerous areas.

It’s a particular feature of Klopp’s Liverpool that we are so much further up the pitch that your typical central midfield playmaker might be up against a wall of congestion.

I think the only reason people talk about him moving to midfield is a residual belief that the best players play further forward (why for example player of the year awards are rarely won by defenders). But the game has changed and the fullback position is rare more important these days to attacking play. It would be daft for him to move when he's our key playmaker where he is

The belief surely is if you are closer to goal you can do more damage and you might have fewer responsibilities going back. It matters that Aguero is a striker and not a deep lying midfielder.

It might not work for our current system and Trent but it makes sense.

The belief surely is if you are closer to goal you can do more damage and you might have fewer responsibilities going back. It matters that Aguero is a striker and not a deep lying midfielder.

It might not work for our current system and Trent but it makes sense.

It makes sense if you're shooting at goal. If you're not, then you want your playmaker to find space wherever he can. Hence the DLPM who doesn't score much plays deep, where there is likely to be more space, and central, where he can play to either flank. Except Trent can play to the opposite flank from RB as easily as if he were playing in the middle. There isn't much that Trent has shown he can do elsewhere that he can't do from where he is now.

Duncan Alexander

@oilysailor

Trent Alexander-Arnold with as many assists since the start of last season as Marc Overmars recorded in his entire PL career

Duncan Alexander

@oilysailor

Trent Alexander-Arnold with as many assists since the start of last season as Marc Overmars recorded in his entire PL career

That’s mad

What a player this kid is - he’s running games, dominating them from the right back position.

I think revolutionised the role is fair. Nobody has done this from that position. A lot of credit should go to Klopp too.

Edited by Leo No.8

Wouldn't replace him with any other player in the world, not even Mbappe

In fairness, Mbappe would be awful at fullback.

Saw his maturity too - 85th minute I think. Mane goes wide right, he could push ahead for a 5th - he stops, looks across the field and holds in the middle.

Used the be the defensive mid could see the whole game - he’s seeing the whole game from the right.

He’s only 21. Just nuts.

Someone said he’d been s*** in the first half in the match thread.

I know match threads are s*** but Jesus...

He was incredible from start to finish.

What a player this kid is - he’s running games, dominating them from the right back position.

I think revolutionised the role is fair. Nobody has done this from that position. A lot of credit should go to Klopp too.

Which is why I think that calls to unrevolutionise the role are wide of the mark. He stays RB

Which is why I think that calls to unrevolutionise the role are wide of the mark. He stays RB

100%.

You don’t need to move him to increase his influence, it’s already at the level of most assists in the league.

Edited by Leo No.8