sammy & a

Transfer Window Speculation

Given Alderweireld is available for 25m euros the whole Koscielny thing is idiotic. No one is buying LK when they can get TA to be honest.

Edited by DPD1973

Koscielny is in a bit of a dispute with Arsenal.

He is 33 with 1 year left in his contract but has had a problem with his Achilles over the past year.

If a conversation was had with his agent and he would be willing to compete for a place but accept intermittent appearances ........ then I’d have him.

If cash is an issue, the sale of Lovren (maybe) would neutralise it ?

Anyway, he might want to drop down and play 30+ games a season in mid-tier France. But he’d be an option I’d be interested in.

He hasn't travelled because he wants to be let go so he can go back to France. I doubt he'd want to come here to be 4th choice.

He used to be top quality before injuries and age hit. He's finished at this level though. Even Lovren is better now.

Can't see a single thing he'd contribute or resolve compared to our current centrebacks really.

I think it says a lot about where Arsenal are that they're not just happy to let him go and get his wages off the books. He's finished at the top level but he's still arguably their best CB.

I think it says a lot about where Arsenal are that they're not just happy to let him go and get his wages off the books. He's finished at the top level but he's still arguably their best CB.

They are heading for a plummet. Their squad is running on fumes. When you look at the players of quality added to the squad that are still there over the past six years it's basically:

18: Torreira (who wants to leave), Leno (only ok)

17: Lacazette, Aubameyang

13: Ozil

On the can-do-a-job-as-squad-filler side, Iwobi and Bellerin were promoted from rank, and players like Kolasinac, Xhaka and Mkhitaryan were signed and that is basically the only quality left in the squad. But really they wouldn't be missed. I am not sure the rest would get a game for any of the top 10.

First team regulars that have left since 2014:

Sanchez

Ramsey

Cazorla

Wilshere

Mertesacker

Oxlaide-Chamberlain

Walcott

Giroud

Vermaelen

Sagna

Some of them left because of age and drop in quality (Koscielny is just that last of that generation to go), but these were the players that made Arsenal a top 4, but not title-challenging side, before that drop off and they've been replaced with f*** all. The only thing keeping them afloat is the quality of Lacazette, Aubameyang and Ozil up front. There are 2-3 teams below them who are building their side better than Arsenal are and are not far from overtaking them.

Kroenke and Gazidis have absolutely f***ed them over in the past five years.

They've hoarded money over the past 10 years and seen its purchasing power decline rapidly with inflating transfer deals brought on by the TV money.

They massively banked on building the stadium and it giving them a financial advantage. Well, now match day revenue is a much smaller % of overall revenue and they're paying for it.

150m 10 years ago gets you a new starting XI. Now you're lucky if it gets you two or three quality players.

Edited by Sion

It's just plain weird how incapable they are of signing any good defenders.

Klopp mentioned post match if I heard him right that England is the only country that's closing the transfer window 3 weeks earlier than everyone else. Is that correct?

If it is correct it totally makes sense why we probably won't be in for players as we'd be held to ransom trying to get them in early, while all the real movement this year will probably be in the last few weeks when everyone panics. Unfortunately we won't be able to join in then.

Klopp mentioned post match if I heard him right that England is the only country that's closing the transfer window 3 weeks earlier than everyone else. Is that correct?

If it is correct it totally makes sense why we probably won't be in for players as we'd be held to ransom trying to get them in early, while all the real movement this year will probably be in the last few weeks when everyone panics. Unfortunately we won't be able to join in then.

So we'll never buy another player again? Great

If that was true though then that's the case long term and always. We were early to close last summer, we'll be early next. We have to adapt to it

They've hoarded money over the past 10 years and seen its purchasing power decline rapidly with inflating transfer deals brought on by the TV money.

They massively banked on building the stadium and it giving them a financial advantage. Well, now match day revenue is a much smaller % of overall revenue and they're paying for it.

150m 10 years ago gets you a new starting XI. Now you're lucky if it gets you two or three quality players.

Yeah - The European Cup is now more important than ever before. Say we get 50,000 every league game @ 45 quid per ticket - that's about 43m. We got about 100m for winning the EC alone

It's just plain weird how incapable they are of signing any good defenders.

cf us for so many years till recently

Also

If I read it right on the Echo - Real wanted 67 PLUS Mane for Asenio

Yeah - The European Cup is now more important than ever before. Say we get 50,000 every league game @ 45 quid per ticket - that's about 43m. We got about 100m for winning the EC alone

cf us for so many years till recentlyAlso

If I read it right on the Echo - Real wanted 67 PLUS Mane for Asenio

Real Madrid can jog on.

We spent £180m last summer - and £75m on VVD in the January window before that. Prices have gone daft(er)

Edited by Gethin

We spent £180m last summer - and £75m on VVD in the January window before that. Prices have gone daft(er)

Yeah but we sold Phil for £140m.

Madrid have spent £300m and Barca £200m. Mental.

I’ve missed a lot of this. I’ve only seen the Griezman transfer. f*** knows who Madrid have spent 300m on