Transfer Window Speculation

25 minutes ago, Kid Klopp said:

Signing young players for the sake of it doesn't make sense to me. Is there a path into the team for a young centreback? A way for them to grow and develop? 

Not much for the next three to five years that I can see. I think we're better off looking for someone who can do a job now. An upgraded klavan would do me. 

I think a young CB who is really good could definitely beat out Matip just based on his fitness. It’s one of those positions where you keep your place if you play well, but anyone coming in won’t have to wait long for a chance. I think Matip is our second best CB but at some point he becomes 4th choice just because you know he won’t be fit so often. We have one long term out, one injured regularly and one who is talented but out of form. I think if we can, we sigh the best CB we can find for our long term future, not a stop gap. 

• Replies 34.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Swipe

• Hightown Phil

• Hassony

• Earl Hafler

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

mmmmm

He's coming to LFC so it's Count Doku la

Just a little bit.

Posted Images

There's a chance that in a month we just go 'Rhys Williams is good isn't he?' and don't need one. Most likely option is that that isn't the case, but plenty of players have got careers out of getting a break by circumstance. Fella who scored a hat trick for United for example. 

• Love 1

Yeah Gomez looks like he's getting back to form the last few games but there's still a bit of a question mark over him and VVD will be 30 by the time he's back.

Sell Matip and buy someone young and dead good. Will help Gomez too you'd hope.

22 minutes ago, Swipe said:

Yeah Gomez looks like he's getting back to form the last few games but there's still a bit of a question mark over him and VVD will be 30 by the time he's back.

Sell Matip and buy someone young and dead good. Will help Gomez too you'd hope.

I don’t think we even have to sell Matip, if he wasn’t injured so often you’d have that problem, but as it stands he’s only available half the time anyway so he can’t complain if he’s not picked when he is fit. It’s a shame because he is really, really good. I think he’s the 3rd best in the PL when fit after VVD and Laporte. 

1 hour ago, Hightown Phil said:

There's a chance that in a month we just go 'Rhys Williams is good isn't he?' and don't need one. Most likely option is that that isn't the case, but plenty of players have got careers out of getting a break by circumstance. Fella who scored a hat trick for United for example. 

If we sign either of Kabak or Upemecano then either is only a year or two older than Rhys. Is there an argument that what makes them 'better' is that they are playing in sides that need or are built to have first team lads between 19-23 who they then sell on, whereas at the same age it is much more difficult for lads like that to break into our team here. If Rhys went to Leipzig aged 16 would we now (or in 12 months time) be saying - we should really buy that Rhys Williams lad for £30 -40 million? I know he is an exceptional talent, but what would Sancho's trajectory have been if he had stayed in England? There is a difference as Dortmund are an established CL club, but they are still structured to develop and showcase talent that they sell on to clubs like ours who may not have able to develop him the same. It could be that Williams is just as good as Kabak or Upemecano? At least we know from the defence Klopp built at Dortmund that if he is as good as either of those Williams will make it here

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Swipe said:

He's really good but can imagine he's after a fortune.

He's on a free next summer isn't he?

Yeah, he’d be a good defensive utility player. Free next summer. He’s younger than I thought he was at 28.

Was listening to Honigstein recently about Alaba and he was of the opinion nobody would be able to pay the enormous wages he wanted, and that would scupper any move

This was referencing a move to La Liga or Serie A but I'd be surprised if we were willing to fork such cash out 

Just now, cymrococh said:

Can Alaba play Centre-half? I thought he was a full back who played centre mid for his country.

He's played loads at cb for Bayern recently 

10 hours ago, Hightown Phil said:

Williams looks very composed. Could well make an impact

He doesn't look very good though does he, which doesn't help. As in visually, not skill wise. 

And nobody knew who he was 6 months ago. 

If he was built and had 3 years of academy hype behind him, we'd probably all think he was the next best thing. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
3 minutes ago, Sion said:

He doesn't look very good though does he, which doesn't help. As in visually, not skill wise. 

And nobody knew who he was 6 months ago. 

If he was built and had 3 years of academy hype behind him, we'd probably all think he was the next best thing. 

I'm sorry, what?

7 minutes ago, Tommok said:

I'm sorry, what?

He doesn't have the build you'd expect from a top class centre back.

He looks like he needs to beef up basically. I wouldn't fancy him against someone like Antonio that's for sure.