• Earl Hafler

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

mmmmm

He's coming to LFC so it's Count Doku la

Just a little bit.

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Hassony said:

Reading the wolves' fans comments on Jota reminds me a lot of when we signed Mane, 'unplayable on his day but inconsistent' 

Really excited about seeing him play

Reading a few here, saying things like klopp will turn him into an £80m player. 

Fair few of them seem miffed by it and the fee. 

13 minutes ago, Hightown Phil said:

I think if Werner had waited a couple of months we would probably have signed him. 

I think there were noises that he didn't want to wait for us to get financial clarity and just opted for Chelsea instead

10 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Reckon Origi will go for around £25m, maybe get £15m for Wilson.

Can't see us shifting Grujic or Karius any time soon, so another year with their wages being subsidised is probably the best we can expect there

Don't know about Shaqiri. Wonder if his wages might be a stumbling block

Grujic isn’t on a big wage and all his loans have recouped fees. I doubt his wages are subsidised 

36 minutes ago, Conrad said:

It makes the financial u-turn on Werner look a bit odd I think.

It seems really high tbh. we must have a decent offer on the table for Origi

I think it's the payment structure that suits us in comparison to the Werner deal.

Think we've been really smart to get our signings in done before the inevitable madness of the last week. Lots of clubs looking at signing our players will have thought they could wait until the last minute, when we're scraping around to get the funds together for Thiago, then get the likes of origi and grujic for buttons. Not any more, lads, if you want the player you meet the asking price.

4 minutes ago, DanM said:

Think we've been really smart to get our signings in done before the inevitable madness of the last week. Lots of clubs looking at signing our players will have thought they could wait until the last minute, when we're scraping around to get the funds together for Thiago, then get the likes of origi and grujic for buttons. Not any more, lads, if you want the player you meet the asking price.

With any luck the likes of Fulham, West Brom, West Ham keep being s*** for the next 2 games and panic buy. 

30 minutes ago, Dan said:

I think it's the payment structure that suits us in comparison to the Werner deal.

Yep, especially as most of the initial payment for Jota is offset by the Hoever fee. Re Werner, as others have said wages must have been a issue, but also agent fees were rumoured to have been circa £12m!

Werner speaks openly about his wish to join Liverpool after holding talks with Jurgen Klopp earlier this year. So, how close did he come to wearing the shirt of the away team in tomorrow’s match at Stamford Bridge? “In another world, it could have happened,” he says. “If LFC call, you have to listen and think about it. They are one of the best teams on the world, with a super coach — a German coach to boot. Of course you think about that. But in the end, my decision went Chelsea’s way. Not because there was anything wrong with Liverpool. But at Chelsea, the whole package was a better fit for me.”

Finances undoubtedly played a part in that respect, but Werner is keen to emphasise Chelsea head coach Frank Lampard’s role in swaying his mind. “He called me and we talked about his idea of football and his idea of how the way the team would look like. It all sounded good to me, especially the way he talked to me. It wasn’t like, ‘I’m the coach and I want you. Please come!’ He was very relaxed, asking me how I saw things, how I felt about playing here or there. And I was able to voice my opinion as well. He listened. In many aspects, we were in close agreement. He wants to play a pressing game, taking the game to the opposition, with quick transitions but to be good in possession as well. He said, ‘Timo, you will be free to make the right moves on the pitch, I trust you.’ It was a very good conversation.”

Wages, then.

• Haha 6
2 minutes ago, Dan said:

Werner speaks openly about his wish to join Liverpool after holding talks with Jurgen Klopp earlier this year. So, how close did he come to wearing the shirt of the away team in tomorrow’s match at Stamford Bridge? “In another world, it could have happened,” he says. “If LFC call, you have to listen and think about it. They are one of the best teams on the world, with a super coach — a German coach to boot. Of course you think about that. But in the end, my decision went Chelsea’s way. Not because there was anything wrong with Liverpool. But at Chelsea, the whole package was a better fit for me.”

Finances undoubtedly played a part in that respect, but Werner is keen to emphasise Chelsea head coach Frank Lampard’s role in swaying his mind. “He called me and we talked about his idea of football and his idea of how the way the team would look like. It all sounded good to me, especially the way he talked to me. It wasn’t like, ‘I’m the coach and I want you. Please come!’ He was very relaxed, asking me how I saw things, how I felt about playing here or there. And I was able to voice my opinion as well. He listened. In many aspects, we were in close agreement. He wants to play a pressing game, taking the game to the opposition, with quick transitions but to be good in possession as well. He said, ‘Timo, you will be free to make the right moves on the pitch, I trust you.’ It was a very good conversation.”

Wages, then.

It was absolutely wages Dan :D

Him and his agent have probably had this move in their mind for months and their plans were thrown by the lockdown and talks about TV money being cut, players asked to take pay cuts etc etc. They went and locked in a deal very early and on good money too by all accounts. He wanted a step up and had earned a move - I dont think he wanted to play a waiting game. Sancho knows he can come back to England when he wants - if Liverpool were going cold and City weren't interested, then who else is there ? Chelsea and Utd can spend, whilst Arsenal and Spurs are lower down the progress scale and not overly flash with wages. 

6 minutes ago, Clay Davis said:

I wonder would anyone swap Jota and Thiago for Werner and Havertz? 

It’s a tough one! I love Thiago so much already that I don’t think I would. 

Yeah I would. Thiago is nearly 30 and I'm not convinced about Jota. But Havertz and Werner cost about double what Jota and Thiago did so is it a fair comparison? 

I have liked what I’ve seen of Jota without thinking of him as a target specifically, but apparently he’s one the stats guys love. Mane comparisons are interesting.

Also he covers all three spots up top, has the pace we need and is a hard working type so he seems to tick a lot of boxes in principal for covering the top three.

The nice thing is being able to trust Edwards and Klopp. Feed him into Klopp’s machine and watch him have every chance of becoming a star.

Edited by Leo No.8
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Leo No.8 said:

I have liked what I’ve seen of Jota without thinking of him as a target specifically, but apparently he’s another one the stats guys love.

The Mane comparisons are interesting.

Also he covers all three spots up top, has the pace we need and is a hard working type so he seems to tick a lot of boxes in principal. 

The nice thing is being able to trust Edwards and Klopp. Feed him into Klopp’s machine and watch him become a star.

What I like about him mainly is his fast/busy feet in tight spaces and then combined with alot of strength/resilience - traits we need in games against tight defences. Something Origi is less tailored to whilst Jota is PL-resistant whilst Minamino continues to settle in. 

What I didnt notice too much about him and what came from that video, was one or two moments when he was on his toes and like a hare onto a loose ball in the box. It's not a million miles away from how Luis Garcia used to react in the box. 

I just listened to the TAW reaction show and the lads were viewing him as ready to contribute but room to grow. He has that league experience and regular in a team that is viewed as a really strong unit in how all players impose their style on other teams so well despite being relatively new still to the PL. We've sprung Origi, Minamino and Ox from the bench more in hope than any expectation. We'll still be in the "hope" phase with Jota but I'd be hopeful he can to mix well with the other lads and give confidence that his energy can make an impact in the last 20mins of games.

• Like 1