• Earl Hafler

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

mmmmm

He's coming to LFC so it's Count Doku la

Just a little bit.

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Swipe said:

Absolutely. Feel a bit dirty pining for thiago so much when it means Gini will go. Maybe one day the greatest manager in the world will be able to accumulate the squad he desires. 

Love to have both. We have so many games back to back this season that someone like Gini having played 36/7 out of 38 league games is kinda irreplaceable. He just never got injured. 

That’s what worries me. 

6 hours ago, Raj said:

Injuries aside. If we had to move one on it would be ox over an incoming Thiago

I wonder what Ox would be like as right back cover when playing teams that sit deep. 

16 minutes ago, Romario said:

Love to have both. We have so many games back to back this season that someone like Gini having played 36/7 out of 38 league games is kinda irreplaceable. He just never got injured. 

That’s what worries me. 

Oh yeah. Having both is ideal. 

15 minutes ago, Gerrardrules said:

my big question is if Thiago is able to cover the space which is left behind by our bombing full backs? 

Why wouldn't he be? 

Also, if we sign him, maybe we're looking to freshen it up, start something new. We looked quite blunt at times last season and struggled to penetrate. 

Isn't Klopps preference more of a 2-3-1? Don't think he played the 3-3 at Dortmund. I'm wondering if he's just not had the players he needs/wants for the 2 (holding and playmaker). He's got Fabinho now, and Naby as the 8 is starting to play like we know he can. Thiago can do the playmaking. Hendo can cover those two or be one of three when we switch back to that. 

Dunno obviously, but part of me wants us to get Thiago just to see if there is intentionally going to be a formation change. 

9 minutes ago, cocknose said:

That's why he left arsenal 

Reckon that was also cos Arsenal were s***e. Don't think he's gonna decide to pursue a transfer from this Liverpool so he can start centre mid every week for someone nowhere near as good as Liverpool.

22 minutes ago, Flasher said:

Dunno obviously, but part of me wants us to get Thiago just to see if there is intentionally going to be a formation change.

Think there has to be an evolution of the tactics over the next couple of seasons. Teams know what we're going to do now, admittedly most aren't good enough to stop it but if we can introduce some more variation it makes us even harder to prepare for. Also if the likes of us are talking about how we're going to sort out the "front three all being 28/29" issue then you can bet Jurgen's got a 2 or 3 season plan to sort that

When we signed Ox I looked into his injury record and he’d been injured roughly half the time he’d been at Arsenal.

It sounds tough because he had one really bad injury but I reckon he’s been about the same here. When you look at a player in his mid to late twenties who has been playing for ten years and that’s what he’s offered availability wise, you can’t expect any difference going forward.

Some players just get injured more through no fault of their own, maybe body mechanics or something - Daniel Sturridge the clearest example.

He’s a great lad and has tons of ability, I love the bursts of speed and energy he plays with, but even much of the time he’s playing he’s not at full capacity because he’s working his way back to full fitness. 

I think from a purely business perspective we could get a fee for AOC much higher than really he merits due to his availability, so he’s the one that makes sense to move on if you have to make room for Thiago.

Maybe Gini makes his own decision and it’s out of our hands but I’d rather keep him out of those two just because he contributes much more consistently.

Edited by Leo No.8
  • Like 1
35 minutes ago, Flasher said:

Why wouldn't he be? 

Also, if we sign him, maybe we're looking to freshen it up, start something new. We looked quite blunt at times last season and struggled to penetrate. 

Isn't Klopps preference more of a 2-3-1? Don't think he played the 3-3 at Dortmund. I'm wondering if he's just not had the players he needs/wants for the 2 (holding and playmaker). He's got Fabinho now, and Naby as the 8 is starting to play like we know he can. Thiago can do the playmaking. Hendo can cover those two or be one of three when we switch back to that. 

Midfield has been a recurring issue for a couple of seasons so, yeah, signing Thiago implies a change coming

5 minutes ago, Leo No.8 said:

When we signed Ox I looked into his injury record and he’d been injured roughly half the time he’d been at Arsenal.

It sounds tough because he had one really bad injury but I reckon he’s been about the same here. When you look at a player in his mid to late twenties who has been playing for ten years and that’s what he’s offered availability wise, you can’t expect any difference going forward.

Some players just get injured more through no fault of their own, maybe body mechanics or something - Daniel Sturridge the clearest example.

He’s a great lad and has tons of ability, I love the bursts of speed and energy he plays with, but even much of the time he’s playing he’s not at full capacity because he’s working his way back to full fitness. 

I think from a purely business perspective we could get a fee for AOC much higher than really he merits due to his availability, so he’s the one that makes sense to move on if you have to make room for Thiago.

Maybe Gini makes his own decision and it’s out of our hands but I’d rather keep him out of those two just because he contributes much more consistently.

Wijnaldum and Chamberlain are very different in terms of what they offer so it's not going to be an either or thing. You might get more money for him when you sell him, but you'd also have to substantially raise Wijnaldum's wage to keep him so that's another financial consideration to take.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Hightown Phil said:

Reckon that was also cos Arsenal were s***e. Don't think he's gonna decide to pursue a transfer from this Liverpool so he can start centre mid every week for someone nowhere near as good as Liverpool.

Optimistic 

Seems pretty clear that either Gini leaves this window for 20m or so, or next wndow for free. If we do get Thiago then you can't really criticise too much if we decide to take the money rather than lose out on it.

I don't reckon Thiago is coming though so who knows...in that secanrio we should absolutely be keeping Wijnaldum but I suspect we'll still take the money.

Chamberlain...some of the very best football we've played under Klopp - weirdly in a season when we won nothing - was with him in the side but I absolutely agree that there is no reason to think that a lad who has missed almost 900 days of football through injury over an 8 year period is going to be available for much more than abut 60% of games. Maybe Jones is as much of the replacement for him as he is for Lallana, who barely feautured anyway the last two years.

His fitness is a bit weird though when you look at it. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/alex-oxlade-chamberlain/verletzungen/spieler/143424

Since he signed he's missed 5 games unrelated to his huge injury, can obviously add a few on cos he's injured now and yes I realise the poor timing of his point. Of his 3 seasons he's been fit for the large majority of two of them and you can hardly argue the injury he had was something predictive. 

Edited by Hightown Phil
5 minutes ago, Hightown Phil said:

His fitness is a bit weird though when you look at it. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/alex-oxlade-chamberlain/verletzungen/spieler/143424

Since he signed he's missed 5 games unrelated to his huge injury, can obviously add a few on cos he's injured now and yes I realise the poor timing of his point. Of his 3 seasons he's been fit for the large majority of two of them and you can hardly argue the injury he had was something predictive. 

It isn't that weird.

He is just injured lots.

Him missing loads of time with his cruciate injury just reduced the opportunity for him to get lots of other smaller injuries.

7 minutes ago, kop205 said:

It isn't that weird.

He is just injured lots.

Him missing loads of time with his cruciate injury just reduced the opportunity for him to get lots of other smaller injuries.

And in the other 2 seasons his injury record is pretty normal. He's missed 5 games unrelated to that in 2 seasons. 

3 minutes ago, Hightown Phil said:

And in the other 2 seasons his injury record is pretty normal. He's missed 5 games unrelated to that in 2 seasons. 

You're counting the ankle and hamstring injuries as part of the cruciate injury? 

3 minutes ago, Hightown Phil said:

We really are though the looknig glass if we are arguing that Chamberlain's injury record isn't actually that bad.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, The_Adder said:

Thiago would be a world class signing and add something we have not got - it would be exciting for sure.

Got my heart set on him signing but my brain is telling me it ain't happening... 

I will be worried if we get to the end of September without adding at least two more players. No idea why we are dragging our feet over it.