• Earl Hafler

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

mmmmm

He's coming to LFC so it's Count Doku la

Just a little bit.

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, Flanders said:

Why does it matter how many players we have if we want to improve the team?

A player better than ours is available and keen. Lets keep getting better.

Well this is it. We've several midfielders, a few who've yet to impress with consistency and another few who are similar in style

None of them are like Thiago. 

I kinda think there is a squad place for Grujic if he wants it. 

He said himself he wanted to leave last season as he was done going out on loan, there were offers. Klopp persuaded him to do another loan anyway somehow. 

That, combined with Klopp's approach to his players where he will always try and find a place for someone if he can, only makes sense if Grujic actually has been told he'd be part of the team next season. 

He might still go as he won't exactly be a first teamer, but it would not surprise me to see him ahead of Jones and Milner in the pecking order from next season. 

30 minutes ago, Hightown Phil said:

I made an uncontroversial statement people didn't like. Sorry. 

I didn't like it because it was in stark contrast to one you made when discussing the Spurs midfield and, once again, it's purpose seemed to be another reason to not spend any money 

"We don't need Thiago because we've these lads who've never started a league game in central midfield" is weak to say the least

7 minutes ago, Earl Hafler said:

I didn't like it because it was in stark contrast to one you made when discussing the Spurs midfield and, once again, it's purpose seemed to be another reason to not spend any money 

"We don't need Thiago because we've these lads who've never started a league game in central midfield" is weak to say the least

I honestly have no idea how you've concluded anything remotely along the lines of that. I would sign Thiago, we have good depth in midfield as is shown by Grujic coming back and people being unable to see how he gets anywhere near the side, but the depth in midfield isn't a reason to not sign Thiago. I responded to a point that said we lacked depth in midfield. Our midfield is that deep that players who have started Champions League knock out games aren't guaranteed a place on the bench.

We'd sign Thiago cos he's a great footballer, not cos we have a need for midfielders. 

Edited by Hightown Phil

Phil is right when he says we already have (at least) eight midfielders. I count eleven. Without Grujic.

Loads of options.

I’m too tired to look back to see if he said we should not sign Thiago though. We should in my view, but it’s not as critical as a front three cover.

16 minutes ago, Kid Klopp said:

I kinda think there is a squad place for Grujic if he wants it. 

He said himself he wanted to leave last season as he was done going out on loan, there were offers. Klopp persuaded him to do another loan anyway somehow. 

That, combined with Klopp's approach to his players where he will always try and find a place for someone if he can, only makes sense if Grujic actually has been told he'd be part of the team next season. 

He might still go as he won't exactly be a first teamer, but it would not surprise me to see him ahead of Jones and Milner in the pecking order from next season. 

I'd be amazed if that happens.

I'd say Hendo, Fabinho, Gini and Keita are four likely to start in central midfield. Ox is a concern, Milner is back-up, Jones is still a prospect, Minamino doesn't play there and neither does Shaqiri; Grujic barely counts at the moment. 

It's alright but strength in depth is misleading, particularly when considering Gini's contract situation 

Edited by Earl Hafler
1 hour ago, Flanders said:

Why does it matter how many players we have if we want to improve the team?

A player better than ours is available and keen. Lets keep getting better.

In August 2018 there were right backs better than Trent

7 minutes ago, Earl Hafler said:

19 league appearances the previous season 

Yep.

Let me refocus the point though which is that sometimes you want to give your own player room to grow as they will be better than someone who is better than them now.

4 minutes ago, Hightown Phil said:

You mean 2017?

Haha. Doesn’t matter.

You and Earl are the same fella but can’t see it 

6 minutes ago, sammy & a said:

Yep.

Let me refocus the point though which is that sometimes you want to give your own player room to grow as they will be better than someone who is better than them now.

Haha. Doesn’t matter.

You and Earl are the same fella but can’t see it 

I agree with your point, just thought you meant the summer after he hadn't started as opposed to the one after he'd played in a Champions League Final tbh.

57 minutes ago, Hightown Phil said:

I agree with your point, just thought you meant the summer after he hadn't started as opposed to the one after he'd played in a Champions League Final tbh.

You’re right. That’s exactly what I meant. I wasn’t disputing the technical correction of the error. 🙂

If we are saying Jones is the real deal (and I think he is) then you don’t buy another midfielder to put in front of him. He’s only going to realise his potential by playing.

If Thiago is a game changer and the opportunity is too good then let’s go for it - but I think you have to sell one of the current group and I think it’d have to be Ox..

Edited by Leo No.8
16 hours ago, Swipe said:

If we signed someone who could be better than Mane tomorrow, then great. 

Imagine if such a being existed - it'd be quite something. They would probably be a member of Marvel's Avengers such would be their special abilities.

3 hours ago, bsl said:

Phil taking the entire thread down ridiculous rabbit holes. 

Second forum I've seen this on. 

Mate, you've been registered on the site since 2004 - this can't be the first (or second) time you've seen this sort of thing from HP!? :lol:

2 hours ago, sammy & a said:

Grujic’s mother has never discussed the boy as much as we have in the past couple of days.

his league starts to minutes discussed ratio is a new liverpool record

3 hours ago, sammy & a said:

In August 2018 there were right backs better than Trent

Yes and signing them would have stopped Trent getting into the team and halted his progress. Agreed.

Signing Thiago doesn’t stop Jones or Keita playing anymore than Gini already does that but Thiago is even better. So, Jones will learn from him, and eventually both him and Keita have to oust him or someone. 

If they can’t do that, no problem. The team is better. 

Edited by Flanders