Jump to content

Transfer Window Speculation


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 33.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Swipe

    1611

  • Hightown Phil

    1523

  • Hassony

    1463

  • Earl Hafler

    867

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

mmmmm

He's coming to LFC so it's Count Doku la

Jesus Christ I've posted 1500 times on this thread. I have a wife and child.

Posted Images

3 hours ago, kop205 said:

Firmino not scoring bag loads is an absolutely rubbish argument as to why Brewster isn't up to it.

But people know we won the league. They just understandably feel we need to strengthen, in a way that goes beyond promoting some promising kids, if we are to produce a third consecutive season at the required level.

I’m up for us strengthening but can understand why it’s not gonna be £120m on a 20yr old and paying him £300k a week to sit on the bench

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cobs said:

I’m up for us strengthening but can understand why it’s not gonna be £120m on a 20yr old and paying him £300k a week to sit on the bench

With his quality we would be able to rotate far more often than we have been able to with Origi, Lallana and Shaqiri on the bench 

The drop off from our first team to Sancho is far far less than our options to date. 

We need to rotate more to preserve our current team. They can't be expected to do it a third season in a row and play every game possible to the level they have. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Barnesy_10 said:

With his quality we would be able to rotate far more often than we have been able to with Origi, Lallana and Shaqiri on the bench 

The drop off from our first team to Sancho is far far less than our options to date. 

We need to rotate more to preserve our current team. They can't be expected to do it a third season in a row and play every game possible to the level they have. 


and when everyone else in the squad demands a pay-rise?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/08/2020 at 12:55, Swipe said:

As I said, I've seen him a handful of times, so I could be missing out on something very obvious, but been a bit surprised by people talking like he's Mbappe levels of nailed on superstardom. Maybe he is of course.

That's not what I was on about about though. I was asking if he's actually as good as the hype. The hype isn't a level above Pulisic. It's Mbappe-level from some.

I'm asking with genuine curiosity too. Not saying they're all wrong.

I'm one of those who's been saying he's on an Mbappe level or will be soon at least. I genuinely think the hype is underplayed because he's playing abroad, if he was playing for an English club and doing the things he's done at this age at the level he's done them he'd already be one of the biggest superstars in the world. He's going for 15m more than Harry Maguire like

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Cobs said:

I’m up for us strengthening but can understand why it’s not gonna be £120m on a 20yr old and paying him £300k a week to sit on the bench

He isn't costing 120m, he wouldn't just be on the bench and I doubt we'd have to pay him 300k a week.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bailo said:

Where is it coming from that Sancho wants £300k a week? 

That’s the deal it’s long been reported he’s getting from Utd. He signed a £200k a week deal last year at Dortmund

Link to post
Share on other sites

Until we get rid of Shaqiri, Grujic, Wilson plus a couple more, we aren't going to buy anyone.

I can imagine the thinking is along the lines of not wanting to buy before selling, as then all potential buyers for our players know that we are happy to let them go, and they play hardball by putting in a lower offer.

If we go into this season without a player that improves the first 11, I think we'll just miss out on the title.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kop205 said:

He isn't costing 120m, he wouldn't just be on the bench and I doubt we'd have to pay him 300k a week.

Dortmund have insisted the deal will be £120m - won’t all be upfront. He doesn’t get in the first team ahead of Salah or Mane (for me) and his wages will be higher at Utd than we pay anyone here.

And maybe, in short order, we find that he’s worth it but I can see why we’re not pursuing g him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jay M said:

Until we get rid of Shaqiri, Grujic, Wilson plus a couple more, we aren't going to buy anyone.

I can imagine the thinking is along the lines of not wanting to buy before selling, as then all potential buyers for our players know that we are happy to let them go, and they play hardball by putting in a lower offer.

If we go into this season without a player that improves the first 11, I think we'll just miss out on the title.

Which area of the 11 are you after improving on? I think we're in a strange position where we could make our midfield stronger by buying better footballers, but it could end up making us weaker as a team cos of how we play.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, psl said:

So essentially we have got ourselves in to a position where our front 3 are so good, we can't afford to buy anyone close to their level.

 

Kinda - but then we have an Origi who can step in and score a brace v Barcelona in a Champions League SF and a goal in the final. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Stanley Leisure said:

I do think Harvey Elliot is going to be very good.

I'm pretty hopeful for him too, I do think he's a cut above the other young lads. And if he is on that sort of trajectory then to be fair buying Sancho probably doesn't make much sense because it will stop us getting Elliot involved more you'd think and end up harming his development. The front three are so good and the temptation to just pick them all the time so strong that getting him games is already a challenge - it is why Dortmund was such a good move for Sancho.

That said, in two years you'd think we are very unlikely to still see the current front three all here and/or at their current level and so there would be room for both. Here's an idea - we should have loaned Elliot to Dortmund for a year for a reduction in the Sancho fee. 

But yeah, realistically if we genuinely think that in Elliot we've pulled off a real coup and got the next Sancho then fair enough, let's put our eggs in his basket.

If so though we should just just be looking to add strength in other places and it doesn't seem we are really doing that so the suspicion remains that it is at least as much skinflintery as it is thinking we don't need him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hightown Phil said:

Which area of the 11 are you after improving on? I think we're in a strange position where we could make our midfield stronger by buying better footballers, but it could end up making us weaker as a team cos of how we play.

 

If we got Thiago, I think he, plus Fabinho and Keita would be our best midfield on paper. No disrespect to Hendo.

I get your point though, we can't really improve the first 11 anywhere else (as we aren't getting Sancho). We need a squad good enough that 3-4 changes can be made and there's not a noticable difference.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cobs said:

Kinda - but then we have an Origi who can step in and score a brace v Barcelona in a Champions League SF and a goal in the final. 

It's something Barcelona have struggled with for years this. Their drop off after a really strong front three, not Origi scoring against them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Maldini said:

I'm one of those who's been saying he's on an Mbappe level or will be soon at least. I genuinely think the hype is underplayed because he's playing abroad, if he was playing for an English club and doing the things he's done at this age at the level he's done them he'd already be one of the biggest superstars in the world. He's going for 15m more than Harry Maguire like

Fair enough. Maguire's fee was a monstrosity but I get your point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Cobs said:

Dortmund have insisted the deal will be £120m - won’t all be upfront. He doesn’t get in the first team ahead of Salah or Mane (for me) and his wages will be higher at Utd than we pay anyone here.

And maybe, in short order, we find that he’s worth it but I can see why we’re not pursuing g him.

Its 120mm euros, so 109mm pounds ish. 

And that's assuming they get the entire fee they want. 

25 minutes ago, Cobs said:

That’s the deal it’s long been reported he’s getting from Utd. He signed a £200k a week deal last year at Dortmund

He didn't actually sign that deal

 

That's 2/2 for you Cobsy

Edited by Sion
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sion said:

Its 120mm euros, so 109mm pounds ish. 

And that's assuming they get the entire fee they want. 

He didn't actually sign that deal

 

That's 2/2 for you Cobsy

There are reports of  €130m and potentially £400k a week earnings if you google it

Either way, £s or Euros it's going to be a record deal for a British club and everywhere else it's been reported the wages are all north of what we pay players. A circle you and others all seem reluctant to square.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cobs said:

There are reports of  €130m and potentially £400k a week earnings if you google it

Either way, £s or Euros it's going to be a record deal for a British club and everywhere else it's been reported the wages are all north of what we pay players. A circle you and others all seem reluctant to square.

 

Well according to Boston Phil, one of the reasons we are skint is because we pay such high bonuses. So whilst Salah might 'only' be on 200k, his earnings over the year probably massively eclipse the base figure. So you do a similar thing with Sancho. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...