By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Transfer Window Speculation

Ombudsam

1 hour ago, Cobs said:

Elliott/Brewster/Jones/Williams - they’re the future proofing strategy

Jones is the only 1 of those 4 likely to have an impact next season

Elliott is too young and raw

the other two aren't at first XI level yet

11 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Jones is the only 1 of those 4 likely to have an impact next season

Elliott is too young and raw

the other two aren't at first XI level yet

I think all are at first team squad level and will play a part this season.
I’m expecting Brewster to play quite a bit as the season progresses. I think that loan spell with Swansea has shown he’s ready.
Williams & Jones have impressed with every 1st team chance they’ve had so far. They’ll get more this season

Elliott perhaps because of his age/physicality less so but will still have League  & FA cup opportunities 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cobs said:

I think all are at first team squad level and will play a part this season.
I’m expecting Brewster to play quite a bit as the season progresses. I think that loan spell with Swansea has shown he’s ready.
Williams & Jones have impressed with every 1st team chance they’ve had so far. They’ll get more this season

Elliott perhaps because of his age/physicality less so but will still have League  & FA cup opportunities 

If Brewster ends up playing 'quite a bit' then something has gone seriously wrong. 

Just now, Cobs said:

Or really right

glass always half full of piss with you, Sion - innit?

He's just nowhere near the level of the front 3 though is he. The drop off would be ridiculous if he was starting games.

Even in this purple patch with Swansea nearly every goal was just him wellying it from about 5 yards out and most were shocking keeping. He won't get that time and space in the Premier League. 

7 minutes ago, Sion said:

He's just nowhere near the level of the front 3 though is he. The drop off would be ridiculous if he was starting games.

Even in this purple patch with Swansea nearly every goal was just him wellying it from about 5 yards out and most were shocking keeping. He won't get that time and space in the Premier League. 

What if he was to be better when playing with better players? Maybe he’d get more space by virtue of not being the most threatening player on the opposition? Maybe a 20 year old would just get better at football?!

6 minutes ago, Sion said:

I’m not advocating him starting ahead of Firmino away at the Etihad/OT

there’s plenty opportunity for him to come through from the bench & play cup games too

Swansea are a poor side, he stood out as their best player and scored a decent return of goals with not much supply. The experience will have toughened him up - all in its exactly what you want from a loan.

1 minute ago, Hightown Phil said:

What if he was to be better when playing with better players? Maybe he’d get more space by virtue of not being the most threatening player on the opposition? Maybe a 20 year old would just get better at football?!

Indeed - stick him upfront with Salah & Mane and he’s not scoring goals?

2 minutes ago, Cobs said:

I’m not advocating him starting ahead of Firmino away at the Etihad/OT

there’s plenty opportunity for him to come through from the bench & play cup games too

Swansea are a poor side, he stood out as their best player and scored a decent return of goals with not much supply. The experience will have toughened him up - all in its exactly what you want from a loan.

Indeed - stick him upfront with Salah & Mane and he’s not scoring goals?

Firmino spent the best part of 50 odd games with Salah and Mane this season and he could only manage 12 goals. Origi played the role you seem to be advocating for Brewster - mostly sub appearances with starts in the cups and odd league game. And he only got 6 goals. 

Just now, Sion said:

Firmino spent the best part of 50 odd games with Salah and Mane this season and he could only manage 12 goals. Origi played the role you seem to be advocating for Brewster - mostly sub appearances with starts in the cups and odd league game. And he only got 6 goals. 

Firmino’s game and importance to the team goes beyond his goals tally - you should know that already 

1 minute ago, Cobs said:

Firmino’s game and importance to the team goes beyond his goals tally - you should know that already 

Well yeah but that's missing the point. He's miles better than Brewster and he played with Mane and Salah pretty much exclusively for the vast majority of games. And he wasn't exactly banging them in left right and centre was he. 

I just think if we're going to have an option off the bench, it shouldn't be someone who's barely played a minute at the top level. 

10 minutes ago, Sion said:

Well yeah but that's missing the point. He's miles better than Brewster and he played with Mane and Salah pretty much exclusively for the vast majority of games. And he wasn't exactly banging them in left right and centre was he. 

I just think if we're going to have an option off the bench, it shouldn't be someone who's barely played a minute at the top level. 

You know we just won the league, right?

6 minutes ago, Case said:

A fit Brewster is easily as good, or better, than Greenwood at Utd. And he scores a good few goals in a good forward line.

He’s not as good as Greenwood.  I’d really like that to be true, but Greenwood is on the way to being a top, top player.

Willian on a free transfer should be right up our street if our owners are intending on being tight 

Yeah he's old but is quality 

Just now, CaptainXabi said:

He’s not as good as Greenwood.  I’d really like that to be true, but Greenwood is on the way to being a top, top player.

Greenwood's striking and finishing is scary. If he can develop the rest of his game he will be some player. 

4 hours ago, anfieldgaz said:

And this i feel is where we fall down a little and don't dominate for years. 

Let me preface this by saying that I really hope we do buy some top players this summer. I think it’s the right time too.

But we have to contextualize “dominance” in the modern PL. Chelsea have 5 titles in 17 years under Roman.  City have 4 titles in 12 years under their ownership group.  Neither has won more than 2 in a row (I think United have preciously). The idea that if we just spend some money we’ll win the next 5 is probably just not realistic.

I don’t know what the plan is, but I don’t think it’s as easy as going all in now and winning everything for a while.

Edited by CaptainXabi

I think Klopp himself would like to work with a set number of players. Anything more and there's some unhappy players not even on the bench.  On top of that it's commendable that he's willing to really give the kids a chance to succeed. This sits well with FSG's overall vision to balance the budget on & off the field

It's great, on paper, having 20 world class players but if everyone's fit, we can only play 11+5 players. Especially the 'big games'. Competition for a place is good, but so is job security that if i make a few mistakes, i'll still be in the team and the boss have total faith in me. Not to mention not having to deal with too many egos/agents of world class players.

After the last couple of season, i have faith in our management team. and as long as we have Klopp, we'll be great. He's the key to our on-field success.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cobs said:

You know we just won the league, right?

Firmino not scoring bag loads is an absolutely rubbish argument as to why Brewster isn't up to it.

But people know we won the league. They just understandably feel we need to strengthen, in a way that goes beyond promoting some promising kids, if we are to produce a third consecutive season at the required level.

4 minutes ago, Alonso said:

And if psg really are offering 50m for matip that should be considered for a player who’s barely fit and would be a proper moneyball sale. 

Sounds like a pay up or f*** off response to an initial enquiry to me. Nobody is paying 50m for Matip.