sammy & a

Transfer Window Speculation

All depends who leaves, but I think it’s time for lovren, shaq, and possibly origi to go. Ideally we can get a centre back who can play left back too. Leaves one up top to bring in 

Shaqiri effectively isn't here already - played less than 300 mins this year. He'll be off officially at the end of the year 

Lovren needs firing out of a cannon but it would be interesting how they replace him as none of the kids are ready and whoever comes in will be 4th CB with limited playing time. I'd previously said I reckoned the club were content to let him run down his contract at the end of next season - and replace him then - but he's just not up to playing our system any more so I reckon it needs sorting this summer

I reckon a centre back is as big a priority as a forward because Lovren can’t be relied on.

We should try to get a hybrid like Dion Dublin who could cover both ends of the pitch.

1 minute ago, Falconhoof said:

I reckon a centre back is as big a priority as a forward because Lovren can’t be relied on.

We should try to get a hybrid like Dion Dublin who could cover both ends of the pitch.

What's Robert Huth doing? 🤦‍♂️

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Falconhoof said:

Steven Caulker??

3 hours ago, Maldini said:

Signed a new deal with PSG today

What are you two doing looking at PSG’s transfer activity today? Shouldn’t you be sleeping off hangovers and posting mindless questions and comments on here?

Edited by New York Red

8 hours ago, Falconhoof said:

Or Chris Sutton, or Klopp himself.

• Like 1

There's the option of Fabinho dropping back into defence but improving on Lovren has been a thing for years now, just like Moreno. 

13 hours ago, growler said:

Elliott and Jones can fill the lallana and shaqiri spot. Neco taking Clyne. 
need to solve the lovren thing. Need a replacement if he goes. 

brewster will either ‘count’ or be sold you would think. Him or Origi?

Brewster (thusfar) isn't even good enough to be Origi's backup...

Klopp rules out Liverpool move for Sancho but admits Dortmund star 'would look good in red'

Neil Jones
Liverpool Correspondent
Last updated 5 minutes ago

The Reds have been linked with the England international, but their manager says he would be as surprised as anyone if the transfer happened
Jurgen Klopp has ruled out a summer move for Jadon Sancho – despite admitting the England star would “look good” in a Liverpool shirt.

The Reds have been credited with an interest in the Borussia Dortmund star, who is also wanted by Premier League rivals Manchester United and Chelsea, among others.

Sancho is valued at more than £100 million ($123m), meaning a switch to Merseyside this summer is unlikely.

Liverpool have already rejected the chance to sign one target, RB Leipzig striker Timo Werner, due in part to concerns at the financial implications of the coronavirus crisis.

And it is anticipated that it will be a relatively quiet summer, transfer-wise, for the newly-crowned Premier League champions who already have a settled squad.

Klopp was asked directly about Sancho at a live event hosted by German publication BILD and replied: “A red jersey would look very good on Jadon. But I don't think such a transfer will take place this summer. 

“He is a very interesting player. If he moved to Liverpool, I would be the most surprised of all!”

Klopp also dismissed the idea that he was now the best coach in the world after guiding Liverpool to their first league title since 1990, insisting that rival Pep Guardiola remained top dog in that regard.

“I can't do anything with the title 'Best coach in the World',” he said. "But I know that, together with the whole coaching team, we are very good coaches. 

“But I think Pep Guardiola is the best coach of the world.”

Discussing his own side, who wrapped up the Premier League with an incredible seven games to spare following Manchester City’s defeat at Chelsea on Thursday, Klopp repeated his belief that Liverpool can kick on and win more trophies.

“This team doesn't need a change,” he said. “I cannot promise that we will dominate football now, nor do I know if it is time to talk about major upheavals, but I know that our goal is to keep the team together. 

“The boys are currently a great football age. We made a lot of right decisions together. If I have a talent, it is probably that I can bring extremely good people together. 

“For example, my coaching staff is exceptional, but there is no single recipe. It is also important that we have continued to develop. 

“The problem in Dortmund was that our team fell apart. That didn't happen here and now the team has been exceptionally consistent for two-and-a-half years. We play every game as if it were the last one because we have nothing else to do on weekends!”

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/klopp-rules-out-liverpool-move-for-sancho-but-admits/15l4hy3kpwdmk1qxucfktm7wyi

1 hour ago, Barnesy_10 said:

Sancho to United rumours will increase now then 

He said red, not s***

There used to be a mindset years ago that we’d get the great signing or two in the summer to replace the weakest one or two in the first team. It ensured us not standing pat with what we have and not stagnating. So, the line-up the other night was essentially our first team.

Who could go?

Who could we sign?

Alisson

Trent

Gomez

Virgil

Robbo

Hendo

Fab

Gini

Mo

Bobby

Sadio

Who would be the likeliest contenders for replacement?

The only 'weak link' in the squad is lovren, and he'd probably be City's second best defender 

4 hours ago, New York Red said:

There used to be a mindset years ago that we’d get the great signing or two in the summer to replace the weakest one or two in the first team. It ensured us not standing pat with what we have and not stagnating. So, the line-up the other night was essentially our first team.

Who could go?

Who could we sign?

Alisson

Trent

Gomez

Virgil

Robbo

Hendo

Fab

Gini

Mo

Bobby

Sadio

Who would be the likeliest contenders for replacement?

Feels great reading that. Genuinely seeing nothing but strength 1-11. I always remember the first United team in the pre Beckham era. They just looked so strong in every position with Giggs, Keane, Ince, kanchelskis, Hughes and Cantona.. Really powerful... And yet 3 seasons later only Giggs and Keane remained and the names now included Scholes, Beckham, Yorke and Cole.... 

Somehow we need to find a way to evolve like that. Given the age of that team you could say that we will retain Allison, the back 4 (with virg starting to edge towards his final season) fabinho... Out of that starting 11 and the others may need replacing (not all at once but the 23-24 team should have at least 5 starters who ain't on this list. If that is to be Klopp's last season then I hope he leaves with a new team having been built that has continued to compete and win a few pots along the way.... 

It's an enormous challenge but its also why I believe he extended his contract. The collective leadership at this club can build this future. IMHO I do believe it needs to start now with at least one player equivalent to the team named on Wed night... One or two next summer and another one or two the year after that

As others have said, the main area where the drop-off effects us is up front. For various reasons Minamino, Keita, Origi and Ox are not good enough replacements. Elliot probably will be in a year or two, but we'll probably be looking at replacing two of them by then.