By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Transfer Window Speculation

Ombudsam

16 minutes ago, Sion said:

Its a bit different atm though isn't it. We're not talking about a massive spending spree, we're talking about crisis management. 

If you own an asset that is struggling you need to have owners who have the means to support and invest in it during times of emergency. 

Otherwise why not just have fan ownership of the club?

When they eventually sell up in a few years time they'll have made probably around 2 billion quid I reckon. Just by sitting on an asset and helping it operate 'within its means'. We could have done that, Phil. 

Oh so all of a sudden we’re saying rentierism isn’t actually doing any productive work. I’m going to have to reconsider everything.

1 minute ago, psl said:

We have to spend some money this summer. We can't ask the same set of lads to post 90+ points 3 years in a row with no help. 

This is it. Really don't care if it's a massive transfer or something clever. 

That front three cannot keep going with a rest here and there, and we need someone good to allow for the brief, but inevitable, loss of from one of them (well maybe not Mane).

6 minutes ago, kop205 said:

Didn't you tell us all of that went on bonuses anyway? No Champions League = no bonuses.

Depends what you mean by 'all of that'. The difference between losing the final and winning the final probably yeah. Not the difference between going out in the last 16 and winning it though.

11 hours ago, Maldini said:

320k a week according to Melissa Reddy, more than our highest paid player that isn't it?

Well that’s just silly. 

I think he’d have signed for us for less but if he’s getting that then it would still be north of 200k meaning everyone else would want a bump too. 

I don't know Melissa Reddy, never met and have no axe to grind per se but does she do journalism or just parrot what she is told?

Whilst she could well be right, the numbers she is quoting seem questionable at least given the player, the 'current climate', and the leap in current to projected pay. 

1 hour ago, zishan said:

Also this in the athletic When contacted by The Athletic, Liverpool insisted the decision to pass on Werner was not a financial one. It would, however, have been a vast outlay for a player who would have started his Anfield career as a substitute.  

Nonsense that by The Athletic.  Klopp often makes his signings bide their time on the bench (VvD and Alisson being the obvious exceptions).

1 hour ago, zishan said:

Also this in the athletic When contacted by The Athletic, Liverpool insisted the decision to pass on Werner was not a financial one. It would, however, have been a vast outlay for a player who would have started his Anfield career as a substitute.  

But in the very same article, it mentions Klopp told Werner the reason why the move won't be happening was purely a financial one.

3 minutes ago, darucs112 said:

But in the very same article, it mentions Klopp told Werner the reason why the move won't be happening was purely a financial one.

Yeah bit strange lots of briefing going on.

52 minutes ago, Hightown Phil said:

Depends what you mean by 'all of that'. The difference between losing the final and winning the final probably yeah. Not the difference between going out in the last 16 and winning it though.

Can't really have had that much of an impact on us apparently having no money to spend last summer in that case then.

1 hour ago, Swipe said:

Should have known you'd be quick with a snide reply.

Did I say 'SigN BiG nAmEZ?

If that's the way it is for every club then - AS I SAID - what can you do. That's the way it is. IF others are doing business reasonably normally and we're not then, well it doesn't make so much sense all of a sudden. And it could be the summer they all catch up with us. 

If you think that's such an unreasonable position then there you go.

You said 50mill wasn’t that much for a team about to be champions, I was suggesting that the impact of c-19 on our club was much bigger financially. 

Your post was in the context of a bit of a flap that we haven’t signed Werner and may not sign a top player, so I was referencing that. 

I also think a strategy to get through this mess based on ‘everyone else is doing it, so why shouldn’t we?’ is a fundamentally flawed one. 

Snide? Give over. 

7 minutes ago, kop205 said:

Can't really have had that much of an impact on us apparently having no money to spend last summer in that case then.

From memory it was to do with people comparing the difference to the previous summer though and saying that the difference between winning it and being runners up is pretty neutral.  

35 minutes ago, Hightown Phil said:

Wijnaldum, Keita, Mane and Salah didn't. It's a bit overplayed this one, just really means Robertson and Fabinho.

From what I remember, Keita did - started the first few, Klopp realised he needed more work and then didn't play much the rest of the first half of the season. Or he might have just got injured.

Also happened to Minamino & Ox

Edited by Gethin

13 minutes ago, DecidedByPoll said:

‘Threadbare’. 

Not threadbare

but 1 injury or absence to one of our front 3 and we are considerably weaker. We clearly need to bring someone in,a nd I'm sure Klopp thinks so too

1 minute ago, stressederic said:

Easter apparently.

So basically since then, the club have decided we are no longer willing to meet the release clause. You have to hope Klopp is in agreement with that decision but if he wanted him enough to meet with him personally, it seems likely that he would be disappointed to not sign him, even if understanding of the reasons why.