By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Transfer Window Speculation

Ombudsam

5 minutes ago, Hightown Phil said:

Spending money is also a risk though in the current climate though. You could spend £50m and then find out you’re getting no gate receipts for a season, and the Champions League is getting cancelled because a second wave means european travel is f***ed. 

That's a long term business risk I would say, rather than the immediate sporting risk of leaving a squad threadbare at a key moment in Klopp's tenure.

2 minutes ago, kop205 said:

More likely we'll have Melissa Reddy telling us that 'Liverpool decided to lower their bid after learning after learning that Havertz, 20, spends up to 3 hours per week playing video games and once attended a David Hasselhof concert'.

'Werner is earning 7 million a week at Chelsea and Liverpool wouldn't match that. Instead they're going to focus on re-carpeting the lunch room' 

Hightown Phil: 'carpets aren't cheap' 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bailo said:

'Sources in London suggest sammy&a actually really prides himself on his ability to sell deathtrap properties and demanded a financial package made up entirely of foie gras, ortelan and civet coffee."

Respect the hussle 

8 minutes ago, Sion said:

'Werner is earning 7 million a week at Chelsea and Liverpool wouldn't match that. Instead they're going to focus on re-carpeting the lunch room' 

Hightown Phil: 'carpets aren't cheap' 

Bit weird that.

10 minutes ago, Jarg Armani said:

That's a long term business risk I would say, rather than the immediate sporting risk of leaving a squad threadbare at a key moment in Klopp's tenure.

I’d say it’s a short term one. If that happened you’re having to sell players to fund wages in a year. 

23 minutes ago, muleskinner said:

Is not bidding missing out? We have been really good at getting the right players in.

I’m not going to argue with being European Champions and our League position.

I’m not upset about not getting Werner.

I hope we get the best players possible to cover the few but obvious gaps.

Mostly I hope Keita and AOC truly find themselves and Bobby starts scores more.  After that you are praying that no one else goes backwards.

3 minutes ago, Hightown Phil said:

I’d say it’s a short term one. If that happened you’re having to sell players to fund wages in a year. 

You can't stand still for a season though, it would be the first time we haven't progressed the team, we aren't there yet. Selling to buy makes sense and would seem to satisfy both sides of this conversation. Going completely risk averse and not getting anyone in sounds like false economy.

4 minutes ago, Jarg Armani said:

You can't stand still for a season though, it would be the first time we haven't progressed the team, we aren't there yet. Selling to buy makes sense and would seem to satisfy both sides of this conversation. Going completely risk averse and not getting anyone in sounds like false economy.

Under normal circumstances then yes I'd agree with you, but these aren't normal circumstances. Football clubs spend money based on what their predicted income to be which you can usually predict fairly easily and then you'll either make a loss if you aren't as good at football as you expected, or a profit if you're better than expected which is basically what we've done for the last few years. The footballing economy at the minute is an economy no one has any definitively correct answers to. 

Risk averse could end up being the best strategy. It could end up being the worst. I don't know how anyone can have any strong feelings on it to the point you know exactly what we should be doing.  

1 minute ago, Kvarme Ate My Food said:

It’s not officially summer until someone has written that.

It's easily disproved b******s most summers. This summer, not so much.

9 minutes ago, Jarg Armani said:

Getting Curtis Jones, Minamino and Elliott involved a lot more is the plan I think. I do think we will get at least one other attacker in.

1 minute ago, Hightown Phil said:

Under normal circumstances then yes I'd agree with you, but these aren't normal circumstances. Football clubs spend money based on what their predicted income to be which you can usually predict fairly easily and then you'll either make a loss if you aren't as good at football as you expected, or a profit if you're better than expected which is basically what we've done for the last few years. The footballing economy at the minute is an economy no one has any definitively correct answers to. 

Risk averse could end up being the best strategy. It could end up being the worst. I don't know how anyone can have any strong feelings on it to the point you know exactly what we should be doing.  

We could easily sell enough fringe players to recoup the money for a Werner (or equivalent) even in a depressed market.

Harry Wilson and Shaqiri pay for a large part of his fee alone. Neither are good enough for us. Klopp knows this. He isn't going to play them. 

Just now, Sion said:

We could easily sell enough fringe players to recoup the money for a Werner (or equivalent) even in a depressed market.

Harry Wilson and Shaqiri pay for a large part of his fee alone. Neither are good enough for us. Klopp knows this. He isn't going to play them. 

You can't honestly think in the current climate we're getting £50m for them. 

Just now, Hightown Phil said:

You can't honestly think in the current climate we're getting £50m for them. 

"Harry Wilson and Shaqiri pay for a large part of his fee" 

In normal times we'd be looking at 40-50m I reckon. But we're still easily getting 30m for the pair of them now if we wanted. 

1 minute ago, Sion said:

In normal times we'd be looking at 40-50m I reckon. But we're still easily getting 30m for the pair of them now if we wanted. 

How do you know we aren't selling them? Lots of stories of Shaqiri to Newcastle. 

5 minutes ago, Sion said:

There's no way of knowing at the minute but I'd be surprised if we got that much for them. As you say, they're players we don't want. If someone does want them then the ball is in their court. Wouldn't shock me if you could buy both for £20m by the end of the window. 

47 minutes ago, Jarg Armani said:

Two years in a row though, you'd have to say it sounds like a risk.

Definitely but it was a risk last year too and it worked out, I think they've earned our trust over the last few years

43 minutes ago, Hightown Phil said:

Spending money is also a risk though in the current climate though. You could spend £50m and then find out you’re getting no gate receipts for a season, and the Champions League is getting cancelled because a second wave means european travel is f***ed. 

Neither of those scenarios is that much of a long shot either

37 minutes ago, Jarg Armani said:

I don't think we're threadbare though, I reckon we need a backup left back and another option for the front three but you could see how we'd do without them between Miller and Larouci doing a job at LB and Minamino, Brewster, Elliot and Jones offering more options for the front 3. 

Werner accepted the explanation & the two men remain on good terms. FSG do not take money out of Liverpool but they do expect the club to live within its means. The message coming from Anfield has been that there will be no major signings in the coming transfer window. [Athletic]

7 minutes ago, Buttles said:

Werner accepted the explanation & the two men remain on good terms. FSG do not take money out of Liverpool but they do expect the club to live within its means. The message coming from Anfield has been that there will be no major signings in the coming transfer window. [Athletic]

Ah f*** that.

5 minutes ago, Benzo-13 said:

Ah f*** that.

Also this in the athletic When contacted by The Athletic, Liverpool insisted the decision to pass on Werner was not a financial one. It would, however, have been a vast outlay for a player who would have started his Anfield career as a substitute.  

12 minutes ago, Buttles said:

The way that the club cascade bad information through their favourite journalists time and time again is getting tiresome. 

The forecast Covid 19 loses are on par to us not qualifying for the CL. Do you think if we'd finished 5th this year we'd happily go about our business not signing anyone? They are quite clearly using the continued success of the team as a reason to be overly cautious. Which considering the AFCON, the upcoming long stretch (probably 60 plus) games, and our luck with injuries until now, is asking for trouble. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zishan said:

Also this in the athletic When contacted by The Athletic, Liverpool insisted the decision to pass on Werner was not a financial one. It would, however, have been a vast outlay for a player who would have started his Anfield career as a substitute.  

I can get that but we are nearing Super club status again. If we don’t strengthen we can look daft very quickly.

2 minutes ago, sammy & a said:

These fellas really make Jurgen earn his money each year.

This is it. A hell of a job.