By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

This season's footy 2017-18

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Spain Argentina game got quite feisty, Anthony Taylor should have booked several Argentina players and send off a couple, instead he booked 2 Spanish players and 4 Argies, blew for time when the clock had not yet hit 90 minutes, I doubt he’ll get a game featuring teams of the same calibre again

The Spain Argentina game got quite feisty, Anthony Taylor should have booked several Argentina players and send off a couple, instead he booked 2 Spanish players and 4 Argies, blew for time when the clock had not yet hit 90 minutes, I doubt he’ll get a game featuring teams of the same calibre again

He’s abysmal. Game after game.

Thanks for posting, lovely stuff.

I really like the shape Southgate is using for the England side and the way he’s using certain players. It looks like a back five with a midfield diamond. Light years ahead of Hodge/Allardyce. It’d be likeable if it wasn’t England.

Was thinking similar myself - not afraid to try something different, not afraid to leave players out, willing to give young and inform players a chance - almost a revolution

Oh - & I've also been impressed with his willingness to stand up for the kids getting racially abused - talks well, isn't an Owl

Edited by Behind Enemy Lines

Apart from south Korea getting a couple of favourable decisions against Italy, is there a history of home teams getting through to last 8-4 with help from the officials? Or is this another one of these conspiracy theories that have no basis

There were issues with Spain and referees in 1982, I think. Spain were property dirty t***s and not that good and I think there was a feeling that, for the sake of the WC and everybody elses safety, they had to get through the group phase. It was only a few years since the end of Franco and there were concerns about terrorism.

Same kind of thing in Argentina - military coup in 76. The Argentina v Peru match was probably fixed to allow Argentina to progress.

Edited by pipnasty

Both Spain 82 and Argentina 78 are too old for my vintage, South Korea in 2002 though was more that a bit suss.

Definitely got a lot of help, especially in that Italy game. It was a fairly well drilled Korean unit though. Reckon you add someone like Park Ji Sung and Son Heung Min to that lot and you've got yourselves a pretty decent team to work with.

Apart from south Korea getting a couple of favourable decisions against Italy, is there a history of home teams getting through to last 8-4 with help from the officials? Or is this another one of these conspiracy theories that have no basis