Sign in to follow this  
Molby

Cryptocurrencies and other important new technologies

Not exactly the libertarian vision of crypto this

It's basically a private blockchain controlled by a group of some of the c***iest companies on the planet. That gets round some of the huge energy inefficiencies inherent in blockchains (as there won't be millions of copies of this blockchain needing updating constantly) - but not sure that it'll provide the level of transparency that you'd get with a "traditional" blockchain like BitCoin. They could probably build the promised features onto the traditional payment platform just as easily.

Quite a technical take on it - but it takes down any pretence that FBs network would be anything like BitCoin style crypto. The only commonality will be that it used a blockchain for transactions, but it'll be closed so it's essentially a private payment network.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2019/07/facebooks-half-baked-cryptocurrency-libra-explained/

what would be the advantages of a private blockchain versus a private ledger based on more traditional database record-based technology?

At a guess, absolute trust between the owning entities - as there's no one owning entity who's maintaining a single master copy of a traditional ledger. The blockchain in this model is multi-copy - but only a small number of copies (one copy per owner) rather than a traditional blockchain which has a potentially infinite number of them

At a guess, absolute trust between the owning entities - as there's no one owning entity who's maintaining a single master copy of a traditional ledger. The blockchain in this model is multi-copy - but only a small number of copies (one copy per owner) rather than a traditional blockchain which has a potentially infinite number of them

cheers

Anyone been listening to the BBC podcast on one coin? Very interesting and makes me wonder how many other crypto currencies were just fraudulent

loads

but not Cardano, which is set to moon

get in quick before the ship sails

Anyone been listening to the BBC podcast on one coin? Very interesting and makes me wonder how many other crypto currencies were just fraudulent

Yep, it's crazy.

My mate keeps telling me that I should buy some Bitcoin.

Read online that the price has gone of 40% in the last 24 hours, said that FOMO had contributed to this increase.

You need to buy Cardano as that’s guaranteed to rocket

But also encourage everyone you’ve ever met to do so too and get them to encourage everyone they know otherwise they might miss out and that would be a shame

So remember:

Cardano, set to rocket, spread the word