Sign in to follow this  
Molby

Cryptocurrencies and other important new technologies

Been reading a bit about the mining aspect - it's massively damaging to the environment isn't it(?). Huge numbers of people around the globe using large capacity computers/servers to do the mining so that just one of them will resolve the problem and get the benefit.

I guess you could accuse many other human activities of massively wasting resources for no real benefit (watching telly?) but it seems like yet another addition to the growing pile of bad things that humans do....   

Edited by charlie clown

My mate has told me to keep an eye on:

Omisego

Cardano

I’m keeping my eye on Cardano all right

I’m going in with a £5k play for a long term 10000% return

Really interesting one this - a proper company that might be massive if the whole smart contract business gets wide acceptance

and there seems to be a battle between them, Tezos and the other one (Eos? )

Cardano are a year behind but I like the steely- eyed determination they’re showing

their price has plummeted 90% v recently so any time now I’m going in

Been reading a bit about the mining aspect - it's massively damaging to the environment isn't it(?). Huge numbers of people around the globe using large capacity computers/servers to do the mining so that just one of them will resolve the problem and get the benefit.

I guess you could accuse many other human activities of massively wasting resources for no real benefit (watching telly?) but it seems like yet another addition to the growing pile of bad things that humans do....

Read somewhere that the total energy usage of mining will equal the entire US in a few years and the whole world in less than 10. It's unsustainable and dangerous.

I think perhaps it's time to stop calling it mining per se and call it running the ledger checks - and of course the more coins there are - and the more transactions, the number of ledger checks (and rewards that follow) rises hugely

How does this all compare to how much juice the fiat banking system uses?

And weed growing for that matter?

Edited by Molby

Read somewhere that the total energy usage of mining will equal the entire US in a few years and the whole world in less than 10. It's unsustainable and dangerous.

in 1894 the Times predicted that by 1940 the streets of London would be under 8ft of horse manure

Edited by Sir Tokyo Sexwale

It won't be that drastic BUT is substantial (see episode on more or less on radio 4 available on podcast). It is something currently like a small European country in terms of usage... and the multiples to get to the US is clearly not going to happen.

How does this all compare to how much juice the fiat banking system uses?

And weed growing for that matter?

Bitcoin electronic payments are about 20 x as expensive energy consumption wise as a standard visa debit transaction (same source as above)

in 1894 the Times predicted that by 1940 the streets of London would be under 8ft of horse manure

Have you been to London recently?

I’m keeping my eye on Cardano all right

I’m going in with a £5k play for a long term 10000% return

Really interesting one this - a proper company that might be massive if the whole smart contract business gets wide acceptance

and there seems to be a battle between them, Tezos and the other one (Eos? )

Cardano are a year behind but I like the steely- eyed determination they’re showing

their price has plummeted 90% v recently so any time now I’m going in

So if it's dropped 90% recently, what risk can there possibly be? You can only lose another 10%. Imagine that - 10,000% upside for a 10% downside. Now that's what I call an attractive risk:reward ratio.

Oh    ;)   just in case.

Have you been to London recently?

So if it's dropped 90% recently, what risk can there possibly be? You can only lose another 10%. Imagine that - 10,000% upside for a 10% downside. Now that's what I call an attractive risk:reward ratio.

Oh ;) just in case.

I’m in

Got 40,000 at about 16 cents each so far

How about you get in too?

Edited by Molby

Here's one for RP - and not crypto...

What's the difference between LVMH's stock as LVMHF and LVMH & LVMUY? Same with Burberry - BRBY vs BURBY?

Is it the market it's traded on - i.e. US operations vs French/UK

Here's one for RP - and not crypto...

What's the difference between LVMH's stock as LVMHF and LVMH & LVMUY? Same with Burberry - BRBY vs BURBY?

Is it the market it's traded on - i.e. US operations vs French/UK

I haven't any direct experience of trading LVMH but I would assume that yeah, it's the market it is traded on. You're US/dollar based so if I werre you I'd look at LVMHF only - removes your direct currency risk. 

Unless you want to take on the currency risk, of course (i.e. you like the Euro over the Dollar).

I’m in

Got 40,000 at about 16 cents each so far

How about you get in too?

Can't afford to - have to save the pennies for the launch that I will be directly involved in. Have to bide your time and then go 'all in', don't you? :D

I haven't any direct experience of trading LVMH but I would assume that yeah, it's the market it is traded on. You're US/dollar based so if I werre you I'd look at LVMHF only - removes your direct currency risk.

Unless you want to take on the currency risk, of course (i.e. you like the Euro over the Dollar).

Can't afford to - have to save the pennies for the launch that I will be directly involved in. Have to bide your time and then go 'all in', don't you? :D

I’m up to 100,000 now

So that’s it, now I just wait 3 years for it to hit $10

Here we go.....

Hours after the US president announced moves to tackle what he believes are unfair trade practices, China signalled it would hit US goods such as pork, apples and steel pipe with higher duties.

Japanese markets down 4.5% so far today, other Asian markets around 3%, Europe holding up better at around 1-2%

I should ask whether this was intended for the US President thread but given I relitigated the f***ing election in the Cambridge Analytica thread I haven't a leg to stand on.

It's all gone quiet over here. Pretty glad I didn't give into the FOMO.

It's s***, I've invested £550 in it across three currencies , and currently my balance stands at just under £300

It's s***, I've invested £550 in it across three currencies , and currently my balance stands at just under £300

Do you want to invest in my magic box empire?

It's all gone quiet over here. Pretty glad I didn't give into the FOMO.

the key was to get FOMO in June last year...or earlier

anyway, this is about what blockchain can do for the world, not encouraging fly by nights to get rich quick instead of grafting for a living