Sign in to follow this  
Sir Tokyo Sexwale

Grenfell Tower fire

Stay put policies are quite standard in new blocks with the correct fire doors, stairwells clear, the right vents etc. This one hadn't complied with any of the things recommended to them at their last incident by the sound of things.

This is the sort of thing that happens the longer Conservative governments stay in power, expensive health and safety out the window to protect their precious businesses.

Worst possible timing for this, maximum occupancy. Hot weather so windows open etc.

So many children would have been in there, utterly heartbreaking.

Read earlier about people outside on the phone to friends/family inside until the lines went dead. Devastating.

So sad :(

And totally avoidable. There's a big issue with fire safety as the regulations have changed over the years putting the emphasis on non fire service trained people undertaking fire safety and emergency evacuation assesments.

I got caught in a fire in Venezuela years ago. Stuck on the 26th floor and 25 people killed. It was absolutely the most terrifying event of my life. I was sure I was going to die.

The smoke is the worst. You can feel yourself getting weaker with every breath and the panic sets in. Unless those flats were sealed, those people went through hell.

Jeez NYR, that really must have been scarifying as f*ck. How did you get out? The eyewitness accounts s from Grenfell Tower are harrowing, especially relating to the presence of children. There'll be a churning s***storm of both recrimination and blame-ducking coming from this; I hope the truth doesn't get squashed or diluted by vested interests.

I watched an interview before with someone connected to the renovation of the building last year and people were shouting 'you have blood on your hands' at the end of the interview

I got caught in a fire in Venezuela years ago. Stuck on the 26th floor and 25 people killed. It was absolutely the most terrifying event of my life. I was sure I was going to die.

The smoke is the worst. You can feel yourself getting weaker with every breath and the panic sets in. Unless those flats were sealed, those people went through hell.

Just saw a video from this poor woman with her two kids (3 and 5) stuck in that building last night, so scary and unbearable to watch.

This should not be happening in Britain. This country used to lead the way in health and safety. This is absolutely 3rd world. The more I think about it the more flabbergasted I am at the number of things that must have been missed for this to happen. I work in social housing by the way.

This should not be happening in Britain. This country used to lead the way in health and safety. This is absolutely 3rd world. The more I think about it the more flabbergasted I am at the number of things that must have been missed for this to happen. I work in social housing by the way.

Loads who slag off h&s as a bad thing also slag off the EU and very often get the 2 mixed up.

Seems likely there's going to be some serious legal ramifications from this - Corporate Manslaughter?

That cladding looks suspect as f*** - it seems that that was what made a bad situation worse but I suppose now isn't the time for speculation.

What is for certain is that this kind of thing has been on the cards for a while and there needs to be a root and branch review of building regulations but more particularly the policing of them - way too many corners being cut in order to increase developer and/or landlord profits. There's lots of buildings and many of them considerably sizeable ones that are potential death traps, especially in London.

Edited by TommoK

I was a Unite safety rep for a few years and was responsible for a couple of large tower blocks at my workplace. My biggest fear then was a fire breaking out. I found out that they didn't have the names of any disabled people in one particular tower block and therefore had no plan for getting them out if there was a fire (there were quite a few other issues too). My employer didn't seemed that concerned by this and a meeting was called for about 6 weeks time to 'discuss' the issue so I called the fire brigade on my mobile with my employer listening in on the landline and it was sorted out the next day with the help of the FB. My employer didn't want to spend money on something that was probably not going to happen but that is what the landlord of the tower block today probably thought. We had a bloke at work who should have been wearing hi-vis but employer was in no hurry to spend £20 on buying them - bloke was hit by a car and put into a coma for a week and, its like, you f***ing d****eads. 

+ political correctness

Yeah.

I go to a lot of sites in my job and the level of H&S inductions and regulation for even the very lowest of risk tasks is so far away from what it was even 10 years ago yet the level of accidents and near misses is hugely reduced and some people still want to cut legislation.

The reporting on BBC News is disgraceful, bothering grieving family members and asking them the most inane questions.

Have you seen the clip of Victoria Derbyshire interviewing someone who survived? He broke down in tears and she comforted him and ended the interview... Not enough compassion like that in situations like this... All too often push for details or theories with clearly grief stricken and people in a state of shock

I was a Unite safety rep for a few years and was responsible for a couple of large tower blocks at my workplace. My biggest fear then was a fire breaking out. I found out that they didn't have the names of any disabled people in one particular tower block and therefore had no plan for getting them out if there was a fire (there were quite a few other issues too). My employer didn't seemed that concerned by this and a meeting was called for about 6 weeks time to 'discuss' the issue so I called the fire brigade on my mobile with my employer listening in on the landline and it was sorted out the next day with the help of the FB. My employer didn't want to spend money on something that was probably not going to happen but that is what the landlord of the tower block today probably thought. We had a bloke at work who should have been wearing hi-vis but employer was in no hurry to spend £20 on buying them - bloke was hit by a car and put into a coma for a week and, its like, you f***ing d****eads.

A friend of mine used to to work in the property department of a London borough (admittedly a good few years ago) and had a conversation with an architect about a proposed development who asked if they wanted "safe or affordable housing safe" he was reported and sacked by his firm and struck off by the RIBA too.

Have you seen the clip of Victoria Derbyshire interviewing someone who survived? He broke down in tears and she comforted him and ended the interview... Not enough compassion like that in situations like this... All too often push for details or theories with clearly grief stricken and people in a state of shock

Fair play to her, she needs to have a word with Mark Easton.

You know what this is starting to remind me of? The Valley Parade fire.

the lack of lessons learned (ignored) and the people involved seemingly disregarded is frightening.

Have to fear what the numbers will rise to in the coming days as the fire service get into the building.

Yep. Wouldn't surprise me if the 12 confirmed thus far are the poor souls who jumped.

When you look at it & hear the stories its hard to see how many from the upper floors could have made it out.

I fear this could be a really really awful number,  not that 12 isn't of course but I really worry it could be several times that.

A mate is from over the road & whilst he doesn't live there any more many of his friends do & he has been hearing some horrendous things today.

You know what this is starting to remind me of? The Valley Parade fire.

It does seem as tho this is getting enough media attention to actually kick start some proper reforms - let's hope so.