By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Football in America

In my lifetime (considerably longer than most of you now, I'll admit), football has had some real ups and downs in America. I was here for the tail end of the NASL and remember highlights on Grandstand as a kid. But the league was all a bit hollow and forced and it ultimately collapsed.

In the back of my mind I still think the MLS isn't well established in comparison to the other sports here, but its looking better and better here. Atlanta are the newest team and look at this:

https://www.atlutd.com/post/2017/05/01/atlanta-united-breaks-mls-attendance-record-first-three-matches-season

The other thing that I never, ever thought I'd see in my lifetime was the Premier League being on live on one of the networks. It's not only just on, but it's on every week. And the kids in their teens and 20's are absolutely all over it. They have their favorite players and teams and almost seem to care more about it than the other sports here.

I'm sure it is a bit different in the deep south and the midwest, but walk around any big city here and not only do you see people with footie gear on, but it's rare to go a day without seeing someone with Liverpool stuff on.

It's a nice development to be honest.

Edited by New York Red

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's great - I used to have a hell of a time seeing anything, and now every game is available and (mostly) well presented. The Rebecca Lowe, Mustoe, Earle, Martino setup on NBC is so much better than the brain-dead buffoons that UK TV seems to have (mostly) turned to.

My son is in the brilliantly organized little league system here, which is the starting point - I suspect kids are much more likely to want to participate in the game if they're imitating Suarez or Gerrard as opposed to, say, Jozy Altidore. It seems like there's still a huge gap to figure out on how to turn promising kids into MLS players. The attrition rate in the US must be massive.

f*** off FSG

Yes

And the 'why are you moaning about xyz when its common in America' train of thought. e.g ticket price increases. Not saying all American fans do it. But its a common theme.

Edited by Sion

Yes

And the 'why are you moaning about xyz when its common in America' train of thought. e.g ticket price increases. Not saying all American fans do it. But its a common theme.

Show your workings. Give one example, or I might think you're a lunatic.

Yes

WTF are you on about?

In my lifetime (considerably longer than most of you now, I'll admit), football has had some real ups and downs in America. I was here for the tail end of the NASL and remember highlights on Grandstand as a kid. But the league was all a bit hollow and forced and it ultimately collapsed.

In the back of my mind I still think the MLS isn't well established in comparison to the other sports here, but its looking better and better here. Atlanta are the newest team and look at this:

https://www.atlutd.com/post/2017/05/01/atlanta-united-breaks-mls-attendance-record-first-three-matches-season

The other thing that I never, ever thought I'd see in my lifetime was the Premier League being on live on one of the networks. It's not only just on, but it's on every week. And the kids in their teens and 20's are absolutely all over it. They have their favorite players and teams and almost seem to care more about it than the other sports here.

I'm sure it is a bit different in the deep south and the midwest, but walk around any big city here and not only do you see people with footie gear on, but it's rare to go a day without seeing someone with Liverpool stuff on.

It's a nice development to be honest.

Plenty of European and English shirts all over the Midwest. Especially when the weekend tournaments get going this time of year.

Sports bars showing only soccer on weekend afternoons was unheard of not too long ago.

MLS is getting much better and watchable on TV and live. I've been to a few Kansas City games and the atmosphere is good, albeit a little too orchestrated.

I've been to one MLS match at Yankee Stadium. It was surprisingly good, but as NR suggested it's a bit contrived. I'm going to an Atlanta game in June. I'm interested to see how it is.

I've gone to loads of the summer matches and they are great. Never had a bad time. But then again, every one has been with us in it. So, there's that...

• 1 month later...

It's great - I used to have a hell of a time seeing anything, and now every game is available and (mostly) well presented. The Rebecca Lowe, Mustoe, Earle, Martino setup on NBC is so much better than the brain-dead buffoons that UK TV seems to have (mostly) turned to.

Agree with that. As with any punditry / commentary, there's a fair amount of crap spoken back in the studio, but Arlo White is generally a decent commentator (and Dixon and Le Saux aren't offensive co commentators). And you're 100% right - the coverage is far better than most of the painful crap in the UK. Fox were pretty poor (like that weird thing where Barton and co would stand around awkwardly on a mini football pitch...) but NBC have done a great job of it. Hope they extend their deal. 

• 3 weeks later...

My son is in the brilliantly organized little league system here, which is the starting point - I suspect kids are much more likely to want to participate in the game if they're imitating Suarez or Gerrard as opposed to, say, Jozy Altidore. It seems like there's still a huge gap to figure out on how to turn promising kids into MLS players. The attrition rate in the US must be massive.

Sky have progressed from having one of their SSN " babes " sat next to Alan Curbishley, to having Rachel Riley trying to illicit a response from Paul Merson which includes the line " top, top player ". She doesn't need to exert herself there.

We just experienced what I think is a major flaw in the US soccer development system . Our 16 yo is a decent player, not great, but would love to keep playing all year round and not just in the Spring high school season.

There are no recreation leagues around here for any of the kids over 14yo. There are only club leagues run by 3 or 4 clubs who operate a bunch of teams. The big problem is the commitment. They insist you can only play soccer, no other sports, during the seasons, and you have to commit to playing indoor soccer in the winter. My son wants to swim and run cross country, mainly for the social side, and doesn't want to be confined to one sport.

The costs are horrendous and parents are expected to attend all games and go to all the tournaments across the Midwest. So, organized youth soccer is off the table, and he'll be playing in the over 30's league in the fall with one of my friends. Teams are allowed 5 players under 30 in that league. 

We just experienced what I think is a major flaw in the US soccer development system . Our 16 yo is a decent player, not great, but would love to keep playing all year round and not just in the Spring high school season.

There are no recreation leagues around here for any of the kids over 14yo. There are only club leagues run by 3 or 4 clubs who operate a bunch of teams. The big problem is the commitment. They insist you can only play soccer, no other sports, during the seasons, and you have to commit to playing indoor soccer in the winter. My son wants to swim and run cross country, mainly for the social side, and doesn't want to be confined to one sport.

The costs are horrendous and parents are expected to attend all games and go to all the tournaments across the Midwest. So, organized youth soccer is off the table, and he'll be playing in the over 30's league in the fall with one of my friends. Teams are allowed 5 players under 30 in that league.

That seems a weird way of running things, sounds like a few power hungry bureaucrats running the league a have a false sense of their own importance.

That seems a weird way of running things, sounds like a few power hungry bureaucrats running the league a have a false sense of their own importance.

Many years ago, there were lots of rec leagues that had kids playing until they were 16. Soccer became too popular and the rec leagues were replaced by select leagues and the Catholic Youth Soccer league. After a couple of years they realized there were way too many players and they scaled back to 14 and under. Kids 15-18 had nothing until the club system replaced the select leagues. The really good players stayed in the club system, the average players have nothing unless they can latch on to an outdoor open team or and over 30 team. Luckily, my kid is 6'4 and holds his own with the older guys.

Many years ago, there were lots of rec leagues that had kids playing until they were 16. Soccer became too popular and the rec leagues were replaced by select leagues and the Catholic Youth Soccer league. After a couple of years they realized there were way too many players and they scaled back to 14 and under. Kids 15-18 had nothing until the club system replaced the select leagues. The really good players stayed in the club system, the average players have nothing unless they can latch on to an outdoor open team or and over 30 team. Luckily, my kid is 6'4 and holds his own with the older guys.

At least there's still some games for them, not ideal to have lads of 15/16 playing with grown men though

having so much Bundesliga and Premier League games on the telly is one of the very few good things about living in the US :D  

I don't watch MLS though, caught a few bits of games here and there, but it does nothing for me.  

• 3 months later...

Columbus moving to Austin is a f***ing disgrace. The league should be ashamed of that carry on.

Not really. Columbus is a college sports city. The soccer team has had a poor following. Austin has a much better soccer scene, better weather, but is also a huge college sports city with the University of Texas being based there. It'll be interesting.