Sign in to follow this  
New York Red

Football rules changes

4 rules that would be better than those:

1. Time limit for goal kicks.

2. Get rid of the away goals rule

3. Allow retrospective punishment even if the ref has dealt with it

4. If a player hand balls it on the line, penalty goal is awarded (subject to VAR)

According to Sky Sports News, from next Season (1 June), there will be no rebounds from penalties. If a goal is not scored, it's a goal kick.

Is this true? That's stupid if it is

According to Sky Sports News, from next Season (1 June), there will be no rebounds from penalties. If a goal is not scored, it's a goal kick.

Is this true? That's stupid if it is

i'm not wholly against that tbh - it does get rid of the stupidity/lack of enforcement around encroachment for starters

I'd like the penalty thing to just exclude the taker from touching the ball if it's saved, same as it is with the post. If you miss a penalty you shouldn't get a chance to tap a ball in while the keeper is sat on his a***. 

I'd like the penalty thing to just exclude the taker from touching the ball if it's saved, same as it is with the post. If you miss a penalty you shouldn't get a chance to tap a ball in while the keeper is sat on his a***. 

Disagree with that - penalties are meant to be an advantage to the attacking team

As for the "only one foot on the line" rule, is that going to be much of an advantage? If you're the goalie and have both feet level, you can easily dive either way - if you bring one foot forward of the line you'll be more effective diving one way and have effectively signalled to the taker which way you're going to dive

games would go to over 140 minutes (including the break) if you stopped the clock whenever it went out of play.

It doesn't have to be every time it goes out of play, just when there is a prolonged stop for any reason like in Rugby league. Substitutions, injuries, free kick and penalty set ups, sending offs, obvious time wasting etc.

Disagree with that - penalties are meant to be an advantage to the attacking team

They get the advantage, if you don't capitalise why should you get a second one? If it his the post they can't follow it in and there isn't any real reason why the goalkeeper should be seen differently. 

They get the advantage, if you don't capitalise why should you get a second one? If it his the post they can't follow it in and there isn't any real reason why the goalkeeper should be seen differently. 

So by that logic, rebounds from freekicks should also not be allowed?

It's a method of re-starting the game which you play on from, no need to change that. Besides, rebounds from penalties that result in a goal aren't that common are they? Seems like a solution in search of a problem

A rebound from a free kick doesn't see a player having nothing but a prone goalkeeper between them and a goal. I just hate seeing a goalkeeper make a brilliant save and then get penalised because the person who he saved from has a ten yard head start on the other 19 outfield players. 

A rebound from a free kick doesn't see a player having nothing but a prone goalkeeper between them and a goal. I just hate seeing a goalkeeper make a brilliant save and then get penalised because the person who he saved from has a ten yard head start on the other 19 outfield players. 

You might hate it, but what you're proposing is really illogical

Think it's a good point actually, penalty takers are 3 already not allowed to touch the ball if it hit the post, so makes sense to include the keeper in that as well

Think it's a good point actually, penalty takers are 3 already not allowed to touch the ball if it hit the post, so makes sense to include the keeper in that as well

I'd be quite happy to see the taker not allowed to touch it in that situation - but not to whistle play dead and call it a goal kick

depends on the nature of the foul - a Willie Young (but inside the box) - or a Suarez vs Ghana - is quite different from a foul in a packed box on a corner. 

Penalty goals ARE NOT the way forward there

I'd be quite happy to see the taker not allowed to touch it in that situation - but not to whistle play dead and call it a goal kick

That's precisely what I'm proposing.

Edited by Hightown Phil

That's precisely what I'm proposing.

That's OK then. When this was originally mentioned in this thread, it was in the context of play being restarted with a goal kick if it doesn't go in.

1. Seems a strange move to make it harder to score

2. I can understand the logic but it's very open to interpretation, I can see it being very controversial

3. Makes sense in one way but kind of punishes the team in possession

4. I don't understand the logic of this at all, the penalty conversion rate has been going down for years, why make it even harder?

2) Shouldn't be an issue if VAR is working correctly