• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok here it is:

Best clearly does have his foot up so 'dangerous play' was the right decision.

However, you can imagine a player nipping in to knock the ball away just as the ball reaches its lowest point as the GK's about to kick it. Surely that would be legal?

don't think so - you're inviting the keeper to 'miss' and welly the f*** out of you, which I'd like to see one day

• 3 weeks later...

just a straight yellow if you take 7 seconds or more for a goal kick, free kick or throw, no warnings, second chance, third chance, first offence = yellow. Sorts it out in a few weeks worldwide I reckon. Diving/rolling around = straight yellow.

Edited by DPD1973

I mentioned on here years ago that I think the wall should be banned. To me it gives the defending side an advantage when they don't deserve one after committing an offence in or around their own box. I know it's a bit mental and is very problematic (can the defending team instead just half all eleven players randomly hanging around in the six yard box?). But I think a different way of handling free-kicks near the defending box could potentially give the attacking side an advantage which generally speaking would be a good thing. 

I mentioned on here years ago that I think the wall should be banned. To me it gives the defending side an advantage when they don't deserve one after committing an offence in or around their own box. I know it's a bit mental and is very problematic (can the defending team instead just half all eleven players randomly hanging around in the six yard box?). But I think a different way of handling free-kicks near the defending box could potentially give the attacking side an advantage which generally speaking would be a good thing. 

Anything that results in more goals is great, plus Lucas is gone so we don't concede as many late free kicks.

I mentioned on here years ago that I think the wall should be banned. To me it gives the defending side an advantage when they don't deserve one after committing an offence in or around their own box. I know it's a bit mental and is very problematic (can the defending team instead just half all eleven players randomly hanging around in the six yard box?). But I think a different way of handling free-kicks near the defending box could potentially give the attacking side an advantage which generally speaking would be a good thing.

Not for me. To see a free kick taker bend the ball around the wall into the top bin is one of the greatest sights in the game.

So how do you enforce this? 

• 3 weeks later...

Does anybody have access to the text of the offside law (Law 11) that was in effect in the 70s? (old copy of the Laws of the Game or a Rothmans Yearbook on a shelf, maybe?) I thought I'd be able to find that online, but no success.

Relates to the debate about this if anybody remembers: http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/videos/254631/retro-football-referee-causes-uproar-by-allowing-offside-jeff-astle-goal-and-costing-leeds-the-first-division-title-1971-video.html

so I can finally answer my own question, having got an old 70s copy of the Laws of Association Football:

Law 11 (2) A player shall only be declared off-side and penalized for being in an off-side position, if, at the moment the ball touches, or is played by, one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the Referee

(a) interfering with play or with an opponent, or

(b) seeking to gain an advantage by being in that position.

So, in particular, the ball only had to be 'played' or 'touched' by Tony Brown for Colin Suggett to be offside, provided he was seeking to gain an advantage (which he was) and there's no need for Brown to have been passing the ball to Suggett for it to be offside.

So in conclusion, Leeds win the title in 1971 and 1972. Arsenal relegated. Clough, sacked by Derby, went on to become a TV presenter. Forest never promoted. We win the League in 1978, European Cup in 1979 and 1980 and FA Cup in 1980.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Coming next season:

Attacking players not allowed to stand in defensive wall. Exclusion zone of 1 metre

Goals will be disallowed for “accidental” handball.

Drop ball when ball hits referee.

Keeper need only have one foot on goal line to face penalty

Edited by Ripley

Coming next season:

Attacking players not allowed to stand in defensive wall. Exclusion zone of 1 metre

Goals will be disallowed for “accidental” handball.

Drop ball when ball hits referee.

Keeper need only have one foot on goal line to face penalty

1. Seems a strange move to make it harder to score

2. I can understand the logic but it's very open to interpretation, I can see it being very controversial

3. Makes sense in one way but kind of punishes the team in possession

4. I don't understand the logic of this at all, the penalty conversion rate has been going down for years, why make it even harder?

1 - ludicrous

2 - as Maldini says

3 - the referee is considered a part of the field of play so they have to change that then. So now he's like a dog, or a plazzy bag or a f***ing beachball so should be removed from the field of play. Which would probably improve things

4  pointless - you have to be on the line now - how far can you 'come off your line' with one foot on it? Keepers are rarely on their line anyway

One that should change is - team taking goal-kick, if the ball doesn't leave the area and a defending player (team taking the GK) touches it (or even crosses through the area) - indirect FK to oppo. Few teams use it as a time-waster but it's a great one if you need. Plus if they f*** up the GK so the defender legs it into the box, they get a free bail-out

1. Seems a strange move to make it harder to score

2. I can understand the logic but it's very open to interpretation, I can see it being very controversial

3. Makes sense in one way but kind of punishes the team in possession

4. I don't understand the logic of this at all, the penalty conversion rate has been going down for years, why make it even harder?

1. Apparently the intention is to stop all the pushing and shoving that wastes a lot of time sorting out

2. Seems sensible not to allow a goal scored with a hand.

3. Not universal if if it hits ref it seems. Only if it reverses an advantageous position.

4. Mad. Encroachment by keeper and outfield players should be ruthlessly dealt with.

I'd like 100 minute matches. Why the hell 90?

Stop the clock when the ball is out of play too.

But hey, that's me...

games would go to over 140 minutes (including the break) if you stopped the clock whenever it went out of play.

Edited by Kid Klopp

True - but stop the clock & play 30mins each way - would still get more football than we do currently

This is true. Another rule I'd like. Once the ball is placed for a goal kick/free kick in the box, the ball cannot be moved again. The time wasting by goalkeepers is ridiculous.