Sign in to follow this  
Molby

Vinyl

So I decided to do something constructive and am in the middle of alphabetising my vinyl...1st time my records will be in order and not just random groupings.

Also started cleaning the f***ers too.

And after God knows how long i cleaned my amp (switches and contacts etc)...was pleased it made a considerable improvement.

Amazon market place is mental...Neil young 2nd hand old ways is going for over £100 and about £20 on ebay and discogs etc.

Hope springs eternal.

I may sell all the inherited Billy joel albums i have on there for a grand. Who buys 1 Billy Joel anyway never mind five of the f***ers.

You're right. There are some utterly mad prices for some very ordinary and/or hugely uncollectable artists/labels. I'm sure there are (to take your example) Billy Joel fans out there but anyone who isn't is not going to be thinking about spending significant money on a second-hand casual vinyl purchase and I would imagine most fans would already have that stuff. 

Difficult to tell isn't it. I've wondered that before - if the listing disappears it could be because it's sold, but it could just as easily be relisted with a more realistic price or taken down altogether because there are no biters..

Discogs seems to be the best place to judge a proper value, things sell way more quickly on ebay but not necessarily for the right price. 

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 10:20, cymrococh said:

Discogs seems to be the best place to judge a proper value, things sell way more quickly on ebay but not necessarily for the right price. 

Problem with Discogs is that you can see competitively priced stuff on there but a huge amount of the available items are overseas with no indication of the shipping costs. So what looks like a bargain compared to a domestic ebay price may actually be very uncompetitive when the shipping is added.

2 hours ago, Falconhoof said:

Just seen Paddy Considine coming out of Probe with a big bag full of records.

Where's Probe? The original closed years back I never knew it reopened

Cheers, there used to be another record shop down from bluecoat in between it and quiggins I remember a getting syd barret t shirt > 30 years ago

On 03/04/2020 at 17:28, charlie clown said:

Have also been buying, second-hand, a few of those Peel Sessions that were released on Strange Fruit records in te late 80s/early 90s.  I had about twenty or so of them already but have more or less doubled that recently and there's some bands whose music is completely new to me (even though I'd head the names before) - Eton Crop, Amayenge, Stupids etc. But amongst those I was already aware of there are some really nice little nostalgia bursts. Especially liked the A Guy Called Gerald one.

I realise this goes against the ethos of this thread, but I believe I have tapes of all bar Stupids from that list from off the radio back in the day. Love a bit of Eton Crop.

7 hours ago, charlie clown said:

Must admit that I always go in to Probe with high hopes but very often leave empty-handed. Choice is a bit limited and they’re a bit over-priced.

I prefers 81 Renshaw Street, they actually appear pleased to have you in there as well. Decent enough selection. Probe is alright if you know what you want, and it isn’t busy. Phase One was alright for a while but stock got more and more limited 

7 hours ago, charlie clown said:

Must admit that I always go in to Probe with high hopes but very often leave empty-handed. Choice is a bit limited and they’re a bit over-priced.

Yeah, same here - never bought a thing since it moved to the Bluecoat. 

On 31/07/2020 at 10:19, charlie clown said:

Exactly right. Someone got me a voucher once and it took me ages to spend it. Defend Vinyl on smithdown is run by a mate of mine and is great for a certain type of music - US Indie and Punk, it’s not always for me but I’m glad it’s there.

On 01/08/2020 at 14:56, Jarg Armani said:

Exactly right. Someone got me a voucher once and it took me ages to spend it. Defend Vinyl on smithdown is run by a mate of mine and is great for a certain type of music - US Indie and Punk, it’s not always for me but I’m glad it’s there.

Oooh. Not been in there. <<adds to ‘to do’ list>>

• Like 1