Sign in to follow this  
Molby

Vinyl

After selling all my gear years ago I think I'm going to get back into it. Starting off by getting a Pioneer XDJ-RX2 for digital stuff but will look to get a turntable again at some point for vinyl.

Yes, Quiet Life and Tin Drum both half speed mastering. The sound quality was great

Didnt think QL had been half speed remastered? What year is on the sleeve?

Are the chaps saying vinyl is better genuinely testing it blind? I'd find it hard to believe the human ear, at age 40+, can pick up the difference.

For me it's not about the sound quality, I just like records as objects and I like the process of playing them better than that for any other format. It's a ritual and I like the ritual. 

Doesn't mean I don't want to play it on half-decent quality kit but the actual sound reproduction is a meh from me. Sound stage shmound shtage.

Edited by charlie clown

Are the chaps saying vinyl is better genuinely testing it blind? I'd find it hard to believe the human ear, at age 40+, can pick up the difference.

It's glaring compared to a spotify file or mp3. Particularly through decent gear.

I'm with Charlie. I'm not an audiophile although I do want as good a set up as possible.

It's more about the collecting, the artwork, the act of handling and playing the vinyl, even the display is a feature in my house. The nostalgia, the history and the sharing of the passion with my kids as they grow and show an interest.

Doesn't mean I don't have an mp3 player in the other room but when I want to sit down with a glass of red and enjoy the moment, it's the records every time.

aye - a shelf full of vinyl, like a shelf full of books - is a pleasure to look at. A shelf full of CDs looks rubbish. A shelf full of mp3's... :unsure:

Not just CC's ritual and TB's artwork, there's a protection when it comes to vinyl, it's fragile, it needs to be looked after - dust it, keep it out of the sun, don't drop it....you can play it at the wrong speed. It requires care, paternalism....

The best thing about vinyl is that I actually get to listen to whole albums instead of flicking through millions of mp3's

Something that occurred to me given other discussions on here...and a genuine question cos I don't know the answer...how does the environmental impact of vinyl compare to streaming?

Environmental impact of vinyl is huge. Involvement of plastic compound, high energy, chemical baths, nickel plating, etc. Then additional costs associated with haulage of heavy goods

No idea how that stacks up against steaming but I’d suggest that’s more friendly.

I get around this dilemma by only listening to music played on a penny whistle by family and friends

Where was the metal for the penny whistle mined?

Those figures are wrong as they are basing on sales not on production. My company makes around 16 million units per year. There are two bigger plants that produce 18 and 24 million respectively.There are around 15 smaller plants as well. This is just in Europe. 

In terms of vinyl weight. Its normally around a 50% split between 140g and 180g vinyl. So the calculations they have used would increase the energy output significantly

Something that occurred to me given other discussions on here...and a genuine question cos I don't know the answer...how does the environmental impact of vinyl compare to streaming?

Try not to think so much about

The truly staggering amount

Of oil that it takes to make a record

All the shipping, the vinyl

The cellophane lining, the high gloss

The tape and the gear

Try not to become too consumed

With what's a criminal volume

Of oil that it takes to paint a portrait

The acrylic, the varnish

Aluminum tubes filled with latex

The solvents and dye, oh