Sign in to follow this  
Molby

Vinyl

Bi wiring is pointless from a single speaker output. The only argument for it improving sound quality would be to bi amp the speakers. One amp drives the tweeters and the other amp drives the woofers. In your case just connect to one set of binding posts. Doesn't matter whether its the lower or upper posts. The speakers will come with links to connect the other posts or if they dont just use a small piece of speaker cable to link them.

Cheers that makes complete sense now :)

just looked and the amp does actually have 4 speaker outputs when i have just looked at it, one pair are the 'main' and another pair for 'remote' there are also main and remote on/off buttons on the front of the amp. Would it be worth doing as you say and connecting the 'Main' outputs to the bottom terminal posts of the speaker to drive the bass and the 'remote' outputs to the top terminal posts to drive the tweeters? 

All hypothetical of course as i haven't bought new speakers yet...reckon i will though :)

Just tested the wharfedales connected to the 'remote' outputs on the amp instead of the 'main' output and they sound exactly the same?

Wharfdales are sound

New Coltrane 5LP set - looks nice but way too pricey

https://soundsoftheuniverse.com/product/1963-new-directions

Yep mine are wharfedale 3's though so early 90's i think, from what i hear speaker technology has come on leaps and bounds since then so although they sound nice i reckon i can get better. Mine are going for around 40 quid a pair on ebay...https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warfedale-Delta-3-Speakers-Good-Condition-Manufactured-in-England/202488404091?hash=item2f253fd87b:g:vnsAAOSwtltbhnaz:rk:1:pf:0

Edited by Mickle

You could try it but I suspect it won't make any difference sound wise. Might also cause issues if you were driving the speakers hard as you're essentially just splitting the amps output in half.

I ordered this but got an email the other day from some crowd called Custom Clearance Limited. Ever heard of them?

They say they'll return or destroy the record if I don't pay £13.99 within 14 days. I've googled it and found a few threads where people say they went through it and they were legit, but you never know. 

I ordered this but got an email the other day from some crowd called Custom Clearance Limited. Ever heard of them?

They say they'll return or destroy the record if I don't pay £13.99 within 14 days. I've googled it and found a few threads where people say they went through it and they were legit, but you never know.

Yeah it is, used to be the royal mail but it's been outsourced. Mondo are pricks for putting the real price on the delivery slip, most places are decent and just say it's a gift worth less than 10 dollars.

Yeah it is, used to be the royal mail but it's been outsourced. Mondo are pricks for putting the real price on the delivery slip, most places are decent and just say it's a gift worth less than 10 dollars.

Cheers mate. Good to know it’s not a scam. Annoying though.

Got a pair of Monitor audio bronze 2's for Christmas https://www.whathifi.com/monitor-audio/bronze-2/review was expecting them to be good but i am totally blown away by the sound out of them and i still haven't run them in fully yet either.

Night and day in comparison to my old Wharfedales, didn't bother with the bi-wiring just connected them up normal in the end, by far and away the best speakers i have ever owned :)

the resurgance of cassettes...

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/feb/23/cassette-tape-music-revival-retro-chic-rewind

Have to say - I agree with Peter Robinson

But not everyone is keen. Peter Robinson, founder and editor of Popjustice, believes the trend for tapes is a gimmick too far. “Cassettes are the worst-ever music format, and I say that as someone who owns a Keane single on a USB stick,” he says. “I can understand the romance and the tactile appeal of the vinyl revival, but I’m actually quite amused by the audacity of anyone attempting to drum up some sense of nostalgia for a format that was barely tolerated in its supposed heyday. It’s like someone looked at the vinyl revival and said: what this needs is lower sound quality and even less convenience.”

I was in LA for work and was in this vinyl shop that had a reasonably casette section. Lots of new bands included. Was quite cool in a pointless novelty kind of way.

Edited by Swipe

Anyone know much about portable hi-res audio players?

There’s a few about, starting to appear on smart phones too now as well

Got a new amp yesterday. Nothing special, pioneer thing from richer sounds. It’s boss though, vinyl definitely sounds nicer than streaming digitally.

It’s a better sound, no compression. Wa listening to Neil Young Archive Hi res out out through my stereo yesterday and that sounds great too, loads better than CD or standard digital

What are you looking for and what is your budget?

Something better than my phone for listening to stuff on the move. Budget £500-£600.

Got six records with David Sylvian / Japan yesterday, so I have a bit of a revival time today

Are these the re-releases?