Sign in to follow this  
Molby

Vinyl

Gonna hijack this again.

Got the Rega Planar 1. It's really nice but I've noticed it makes a sort of whirring noise when it starts turning the record.

It will stop if I change a record, but then by the time it gets to the gap after the first track, I can hear it again.

Googled it and some say it's a thing with Regas, while others are saying it's just cos it's new and it'll sort itself out after extended play.

Thought it might be that grounding thing, but the fella at Richer Sounds told me a grounding wire was neither needed nor advised with this turntable.

Anyone?

Nah you should ground it, otherwise you’ll get background noise.

Is the whirring noise being heard through the speaker?

Nah you should ground it, otherwise you’ll get background noise.

Is the whirring noise being heard through the speaker?

I’ll check later but as far as I can tell it’s only from the actual turntable

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.......

On the news earlier - vinyl is out and cd's are back in again. Ah well.

On the news earlier - vinyl is out and cd's are back in again. Ah well.

Streaming is soooo yesterday...I only listen to 78s through a gramaphone.

I remember buying a little mini disc thing when they came out.

Didn't last long.

I liked the mini disc, there was a competitor that I can't remember - the mini disc betamax if you will.

Didn’t you say they were good??

I can return it if I want.

Posted in jest, don't worry about it.

I found a first press Kevin Ayers album in a charity shop the other day. It was about a quarter of the price that they go for on Discogs & Ebay. 

I liked the mini disc

Yeah they were quite a good medium I thought - very compact and decent sound quality even when you recorded on to them - especially if you had a digital out socket thingy on your CD deck. The mini disc walkmans were nice little devices.

One of my housemates years ago got mugged twice in the space of a few months and had a portable mini disc player pinched both times - he didn't bother with a third as he was convinced they were cursed :)

Edited by TommoK

My son had a mini-disc player and on a camping trip with his mates he lost it. He went back eth next day to the spot where he thought he might have lost it and got chased by an angry badger. So yeah, cursed.  

My son had a mini-disc player and on a camping trip with his mates he lost it. He went back eth next day to the spot where he thought he might have lost it and got chased by an angry badger. So yeah, cursed.

:lol:

I liked the mini disc, there was a competitor that I can't remember - the mini disc betamax if you will.

digital audio tape, i remember thinking what's the point of this

digital audio tape, i remember thinking what's the point of this

You remember that, but don't remember the correct name though ;)

It was Digital Compact Cassette (DCC). DAT pre-dates MiniDisc, and DCC, by about 5 years.

Been getting back into my Vinyl over the last month or so. Have built myself a totally retro 80's setup fairly cheaply...got a technics SL-QL1 turntable fully serviced and working with the original cartridge and new stylus and am running it through a technics amp SU-Z11 also got a seperate technics tape deck and radio tuner and original cabinet to house it all, looks sweet :)

I am currently running the TT via a 'little bear' pre-amp that allows you to use different valves in it to get different sound (got some general electrics from watford valves and stuck them in it)  Am running it through the pre-amp and the into the aux inputs of the technics amp (bypassing the phono inputs and therefore the built in technics preamp) and then through to the speakers  a pair of Wharfedale delta 3's. this also allows me to go digital through the preamp at the flick of a switch with alexa connected to the pre-amp as well which is fantastic :)

I think the speakers could be improved on although the sound is good they were never the best speakers around to start with, have been looking at a few that have 4 'input terminals' on the back of the speakers, any advice as to how i would connect my speaker cable to these as my amp only outputs 2 wires the red and black, have heard of bi-wiring is that what this is and if so how do you do it?

Sorry for the questions, this thread has been a great read so wanted to pop my head in and say thanks :)

Bi wiring is pointless from a single speaker output. The only argument for it improving sound quality would be to bi amp the speakers. One amp drives the tweeters and the other amp drives the woofers. In your case just connect to one set of binding posts. Doesn't matter whether its the lower or upper posts. The speakers will come with links to connect the other posts or if they dont just use a small piece of speaker cable to link them.