Sign in to follow this  
Nerik

9/11- 15 years on

What NYR said.

Watched ' The Falling Man ' on More4 last night and it brought the whole day back. I was disturbed by the idea that identifying the man in the iconic photo was so important. It seemed like the ultimate voyuerism to me, and I didn't get the idea that identifying him put a dignity to all the jumpers.

But then, I also had no idea that those poor souls who jumped or fell were largely criticised by many in the near aftermath. That suicide is always wrong, no excuse.

f*** sake. Stubbornness and Ignorance. Still abounds it seems in loads of forms.

I was in London. Work stopped. I remember a strong rumour that another plane, from Holland I think, was heading for London. My wife was among loads sent home from work in the City that day.

I knew no one directly involved and its still one of the worst days of my life.

School I used to work in were interviewing for a physics teacher a couple of years back. Part of the interview was teaching a lesson. One candidate used that clip and asked the students to calculate the velocity at which he was falling.

He didn't get the job.

What NYR said.

Watched ' The Falling Man ' on More4 last night and it brought the whole day back. I was disturbed by the idea that identifying the man in the iconic photo was so important. It seemed like the ultimate voyuerism to me, and I didn't get the idea that identifying him put a dignity to all the jumpers.

But then, I also had no idea that those poor souls who jumped or fell were largely criticised by many in the near aftermath. That suicide is always wrong, no excuse.

f*** sake. Stubbornness and Ignorance. Still abounds it seems in loads of forms.

I was in London. Work stopped. I remember a strong rumour that another plane, from Holland I think, was heading for London. My wife was among loads sent home from work in the City that day.

I knew no one directly involved and its still one of the worst days of my life.

I posted a link to an interview with the photographer of The Falling Man image in the opening post on this thread. Understand you completely. It seems like voyeurism to want to know who he was, but then I also see that we tend to just count numbers when tragedies happen. Sometimes seeing a face associated with it and getting to know about the lives ruined by such atrocities will at times really make the horror of it all hit home. One hopes, though sadly it rarely happens, that it would then make people think differently about things. 

School I used to work in were interviewing for a physics teacher a couple of years back. Part of the interview was teaching a lesson. One candidate used that clip and asked the students to calculate the velocity at which he was falling.

He didn't get the job.

Jeez that's like something out of a secret episode of Blue Jam

The lads observing the lesson were just sat at the back looking at each other, half wanting to intervene, half wanting to see where the f*** it went. The kids were basically the same.

Apparently he was the ultimate science geek and when he got his feedback was bemused that his perfectly valid experiment was deemed inappropriate.

I'd seen The Falling Man before but hadn't seen the firefighters programme. Their first fatality was hit by a jumper / someone who fell from the towers,

I mean....f***ing hell.

There was a horrendous video I came across (didn't know what it was going to show) on YouTube that showed a camera focussing towards the ground near one of the towers. Could see bodies of jumpers landing on the ground and virtually disintegrating upon impact. Hopefully it's been taken down but it shook me up for a few days seeing that

I was 10 at the time.

I remember coming home from school and my Mum saying 'bombs had gone off in America'. I remember being glued to the television so much my Mum just told me to get to bed. I think I played out for a while in the park, looking for planes.

Fuzzy details.

We went to a nice service at our local Memorial Park. Lots of first responders there, some local politicians and a huge crowd of local people.

The local university had organized a pancake breakfast. It was free but you were welcome to donate to a first responder charity.

Remember watching it on the news, it was evening here and I started calling my friends and family who could have been there and wasn't able to get through, then soon got to know that they were ok, thank God.

Living in Bombay I've seen my fair share of terror attacks and the night of the train blasts I was helping out at the local hospital where they brought many of the dead. To see someone trying to justify or glorify a terror act like done above is just disgusting, and I'd think we'd have no room here for such folks. If this is a pattern with this person, it's time for a ban.

There was a horrendous video I came across (didn't know what it was going to show) on YouTube that showed a camera focussing towards the ground near one of the towers. Could see bodies of jumpers landing on the ground and virtually disintegrating upon impact. Hopefully it's been taken down but it shook me up for a few days seeing that

I think the first death from the FD was Father Mychal Judge. He got killed by a falling victim. He was really loved by all of the firemen and supposedly a top guy. The image of him being carried off was horrible.

Bloody hell, you saw the 2nd plane hit? That must have been surreal. It is quite distressing to watch it on TV, let alone from a couple of kms away.

I did. I'll never see anything like it again. To be honest, I thought it was just another huge explosion in the tower. It didn't occur to me that it could be a second plane. When I started watching the tele with the architects it was obvious what had happened when showing the replays of it.

I went down there about a week or so later. Really early on a Sunday morning. My missus' cousins were working on the pile and I had asked them if I could come down. It was a restricted zone then. I just had this weird need to go there because I had friends who he died and I'd been there a lot for business and to take people there from home who were visiting NY. I couldn't get my head around what had happened.

When I was a kid I found a dead bloke on the railway lines. I smelled that smell for the first time since then when I went down there. It was crazy how familiar it was. Those guys up working on the pile were pretty amazing. They seemed to firmly believe that they'd find people alive in the rubble. The whole place was wet and smelled toxic. WTC 6 was still on fire and they just didn't seem to be able to get it out.

As Macca said, it was a whole surreal situation there. I know he lived down there and had to deal with all of the security and weirdness of that. I'm sure it is something that he'll never forget.

You know, in a perverse way it made NY a better place. I caught the tail end of the hell-hole that it was from the 70's when I moved here. It cleaned up with Guiliani but it was a forced, draconian situation. 9/11 made everybody so much nicer and friendlier in my mind. Literally, hundreds of thousands of people, saw terrible things that day and it changed them. It wasn't a bargain that I would make under any circumstances, but I do believe the result is true.

Edited by New York Red

weird because I live about 1/4, maybe 1/2 mile from the WTC. Today could have been any other day.

Maybe my whereabouts & movements today just took me out of the line of fire. 

Edited by Tokyo Sexwale

I was on Koptalk at the time and remember a new thread starting up 'Plane hits WTC', I remember taking a half day and listening to the description of the towers collapsing as I drove home, I remember spending the rest of the day glued to the TV not believing what I was seeing. Still amazes me. 

I heard that story about a plane going missing from Amsterdam too. Everyone sort of looked at the Natwest Tower and agreed an early dart was in order. All the pavements chocker with people calmly walking away rather quickly with only the occasional quick nervous look up to the sky. The next day we watched as a number of Chinooks or whatever they use flew in to be at the ready on the playing fields behind us and the HAC on city road. Big useless beasts they looked tbh. Probably took a few weeks before it really felt safe. It was quite eerie when London was a no fly zone.

its crazy when you see the towers on anything filmed back when they were still standing... Like the opening credits to 'Friends' and realise just how f***ing big they were and a huge part of possibly the most famous skyline on earth. For such a huge part to just disappear and take so many innocent lives in the process is unbelievable. 

I had a dream the other night about a big bank robbery that took place in New York on the morning of 9/11 and it was planned because they knew that all the police would be at Ground Zero. Thought it was a great idea for a book, told my wife and she gleefully called me a knob as it was basically the plot of Die Hard 3 which we had watched 2 nights before.

I remember something about Microsoft and Xbox campaign running that day - Microsoft pulled it because it involved putting the logo on a London building.

We had plans to go to new that week whilst another friend for 6 hours into his flight there - turned them around, didn't explain why and didnt know until they landed back in England.

Just nuts. Travel changed forever. The world changed.

I remember something about Microsoft and Xbox campaign running that day - Microsoft pulled it because it involved putting the logo on a London building.

We had plans to go to new that week whilst another friend for 6 hours into his flight there - turned them around, didn't explain why and didnt know until they landed back in England.

My Nan was on a flight to Florida at the time. Same thing happened with her. They secured the cockpit, didn't tell anyone what was going on and turned the plane around and went back to England.

I remember the towers being removed from the Spider-Man posters and people eBaying the ones already printed

I remember the towers being removed from the Spider-Man posters and people eBaying the ones already printed

we had to remove the twin towers from a game called PGR that we were developing for Microsoft Xbox at the time... the game had been sent off to be manufactured and Microsoft made us remove them to keep the game content 'current' 

Then there was the first game I ever worked on called Fur Fighters for the Sega Dreamcast which was released in 2000 and involved a level set in the 'World Quack Centre' and one of the puzzles involved inflating a giant gorilla on the roof of one tower which forced a plane to fly into the tower making it fall against the other tower allowing the player to get across to it. 

hqdefault.jpg

Fortunately that game didn't sell well so it went under the radar

we had to remove the twin towers from a game called PGR that we were developing for Microsoft Xbox at the time... the game had been sent off to be manufactured and Microsoft made us remove them to keep the game content 'current' 

Then there was the first game I ever worked on called Fur Fighters for the Sega Dreamcast which was released in 2000 and involved a level set in the 'World Quack Centre' and one of the puzzles involved inflating a giant gorilla on the roof of one tower which forced a plane to fly into the tower making it fall against the other tower allowing the player to get across to it. 

hqdefault.jpg

Fortunately that game didn't sell well so it went under the radar

I used to play a game called Command and Conquer Red Alert 2 at the time which had levels where you'd have to destroy major buildings in the US / Russia depending on what side you picked. They had one specifically for this. Shortly after 9/11 the game was banned IIRC.