Sign in to follow this  
stressederic

Kansas City, Missouri

That is awesome mate. Do you focus at all on how black US soldiers were warmly embraced by the French military? Wasn't it also true that it revived pride in the Cajun culture also because those soldiers were so valuable because they were bi-lingual?

I think those are going to be big parts of it yeah, particularly the bit in bold.

I've got a lot of stuff on what French & British soldiers thought of the Americans but I need the third side of the triangle now to really work out the dynamic.

Really cool. I'd really like to buy your book.

I'll hand in the manuscript in January 2018 so it should be out later that year (fingers crossed).

If you're utterly desperate to hear me bang on about the topic I can give you a link to a thing on youtube.

I'll hand in the manuscript in January 2018 so it should be out later that year (fingers crossed).

If you're utterly desperate to hear me bang on about the topic I can give you a link to a thing on youtube.

I'd like that if you can post a link or pm?

I'd like that if you can post a link or pm?

Here you go: 

You can't see any of the slides from it I'm afraid for a variety of boring copyright reasons. On the plus side though it also means you don't have to look at me.

It's mainly about the British and the French but the Americans appear about 2/3s of the way in I think.

Edited by stressederic

NR. I'm in your neck of the woods next weekend. Mullen. Which I'm guessing is as close as Amsterdam is to Liverpool.

300 miles away. What the heck are you doing in Mullen? It's a tiny little place with absolutely nothing there.

300 miles away. What the heck are you doing in Mullen? It's a tiny little place with absolutely nothing there.

Sand Hills and Dismal River golf courses. I was trying to get Wild Horse in Gothenburg in on the trip too but couldn't work it out.

The customs chap seemed dubious/perplexed at my reasons for travelling to Kansas. Which was briefly concerning.

But now I'm here. And holy balls it's hot.

Should be nice and toasty all week. Good excuse to get to the Boulevard Brewery, 2501 Southwest Blvd, 64108.

Should be nice and toasty all week. Good excuse to get to the Boulevard Brewery, 2501 Southwest Blvd, 64108.

Ha good tip, thanks!

I start in the archive tomorrow, so by the end of the week I'll need a drink.

The customs chap seemed dubious/perplexed at my reasons for travelling to Kansas. Which was briefly concerning.

But now I'm here. And holy balls it's hot.

They let you in?? damn...

and its not that hot.

They let you in?? damn...

and its not that hot.

If it helps, they didn't make it easy.

And it's 33 degrees here! I'm not designed for this sort of temperature! The archive is nice and air conned but stepping outside is like being punched.

Very cool mate. Got anything you can share? Exciting stuff.

Yep I've got some bits I can share. Lots of it don't make sense out of context but some does.

Some American soldiers were told by British trainers not to take prisoners and to kill surrendering German soldiers.

Some American soldiers and officers would copy what the British were doing in pretty much any situation because they thought the British knew what they were doing.

American soldiers were divided on whether they preferred being called 'Sammys' or 'Yanks' and didn't take kindly to being called the 'wrong' one.

American soldiers also seemed incredibly naive at times. They were blown away by the apparent ability of British officers and intelligence operatives to predict German artillery attacks almost to the minute. It seemingly never occurred to them that the Germans attacked at these times everyday and thus it wasn't hard to predict. By they end up thinking that the British are totally clued in to German plans.

Also, as the war goes on in 1918, the Americans take an increasingly dim view of the British and one chap I was reading today wrote about a huge fight breaking out between men of the two armies. That wasn't uncommon either, I've seen evidence for several of these. Just after the armistice after a bar fight some Americans stabbed a British soldier to death and the British, in response apparently had them dragged behind a truck.

I've a few more days left of looking at British stuff and next week I'll move onto the French which is where the African-American soldiers will appear.

Yep I've got some bits I can share. Lots of it don't make sense out of context but some does.

Some American soldiers were told by British trainers not to take prisoners and to kill surrendering German soldiers.

Some American soldiers and officers would copy what the British were doing in pretty much any situation because they thought the British knew what they were doing.

American soldiers were divided on whether they preferred being called 'Sammys' or 'Yanks' and didn't take kindly to being called the 'wrong' one.

American soldiers also seemed incredibly naive at times. They were blown away by the apparent ability of British officers and intelligence operatives to predict German artillery attacks almost to the minute. It seemingly never occurred to them that the Germans attacked at these times everyday and thus it wasn't hard to predict. By they end up thinking that the British are totally clued in to German plans.

Also, as the war goes on in 1918, the Americans take an increasingly dim view of the British and one chap I was reading today wrote about a huge fight breaking out between men of the two armies. That wasn't uncommon either, I've seen evidence for several of these. Just after the armistice after a bar fight some Americans stabbed a British soldier to death and the British, in response apparently had them dragged behind a truck.

I've a few more days left of looking at British stuff and next week I'll move onto the French which is where the African-American soldiers will appear.

You are doing BRILLIANT work mate. Absolutely fascinating. I can't believe that this hasn't been uncovered before. Just such important work.

You have a cape and everything don't you? And a superpower pen and notepad I bet.

A pen? In an archive? Good God, man! They'd have me thrown out!

And I can't possibly comment on my attire save to say I looking f***ing magnificent.

Today in news from the archive, First World War race relations: 'the men became as dexterous with a bayonet as a negro with a razor'. How enlightened.

Edited by stressederic

That was probably the tip of a particularly racist iceberg from stuff I found today.

But also hit the motherload (again) with some different material. This trip has already been well worth it from a research point of view.

It's going to be tricky reducing some of this material down.

Today was my last day in the archive. I've taken 4,463 photos of material over the last 2 weeks.

The sheer amount of stuff is staggering but the bits I've found have been amazing.

If anyone wants to see some snippets I can give you a link to some of the pictures.