By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Defence

Jim D

I think that if someone isn't better than Dejan Lovren then we're wasting time, money and effort when it comes to signing them.

I originally said that at the very least they'll provide the competition that he is sorely lacking now against your notion that we sign no one unless they are guaranteed better. You probably have a higher opinion of Lovren than me.

You would have signed none of the three you talk about above with EH because they are unproven and therefore they are definitely better than Lovren. It's crazy, surely you can appreciate that they would all push him initially and ultimately he responds and plays better or he doesn't and then they are better.

Signing Karius pushed Mig onto his best season for us. Or is that coincidence? He has pushed him by challenging for his place. He was unproven at this level and, as it turned out, had a nightmare but signing him improved GK for us last season by making Mig better.

According to Whoscored.com :

Second lowest shots per game conceded last season with 8.2 ( City 7.9 ). City and us were top two in Possession.

Both teams currently lowest again with SPG conceded, City again top in Possession, we're 7th ( change in tactics and also playing with 10 men for an hour against City mean it's currently lower than last season )

So we're going to concede fewer shots because of the amount of possession we have but the frustration throughout Klopp's reign here has been how easily we concede once we've lost possession. Both fullbacks pushed high and the lack of a holding mid contribute to that and they're partly systemic issues.

I originally said that at the very least they'll provide the competition that he is sorely lacking now against your notion that we sign no one unless they are guaranteed better. You probably have a higher opinion of Lovren than me.

You would have signed none of the three you talk about above with EH because they are unproven and therefore they are definitely better than Lovren. It's crazy, surely you can appreciate that they would all push him initially and ultimately he responds and plays better or he doesn't and then they are better.

Signing Karius pushed Mig onto his best season for us. Or is that coincidence? He has pushed him by challenging for his place. He was unproven at this level and, as it turned out, had a nightmare but signing him improved GK for us last season by making Mig better.

My point on those three was that it tells you a huge amount about the market we're shopping in. Not that they're good or bad, that unproven centre backs are moving for huge amount of money and that's got a lot to do with why we weren't able to get someone suitable this summer. 

We clearly wanted a brilliant defender to take us to the next level. That was vvd. When that wasn't possible if Klopp said - and obviously he wouldn't - in the meantime we'll just get someone better than Lovren, then more defenders come into that category.

Lovren is rubbish. No big proper European team would look twice at him.

Edited by Swipe

We clearly wanted a brilliant defender to take us to the next level. That was vvd. When that wasn't possible if Klopp said - and obviously he wouldn't - in the meantime we'll just get someone better than Lovren, then more defenders come into that category.

Lovren is rubbish. No big proper European team would look twice at him.

He was rubbish at Lyon. One good season and we spunk a wedge on him.

MONEYBALL!

But then if you put a man further back you'll create more situations for us to defend because you'll have less ability to win the ball higher up the pitch. This is why the whole 'Just be better at defending' thing isn't that easy, cos about 95% of the time we're fine. You don't need a complete revolution to sort the 5%.

Spurs still win the ball back high up the pitch a lot when they play 3 at the back though. I'm not saying it's the only solution or even a solution really, I'm just spitballing really. The current setup is clearly flawed in some way.

Don't understand what we do in training. Surely our attack should practice against our defence? Or are we concerned our attack will get complacent as a result of playing our defence?

Not sure you can build balls in a team - it's a personality thing. Either have them or not and we don't.

Lovren is a decent player. But he seems to have a weak mentality. If he makes a rick his head goes.

Need to keep him place and build his confidence alongside matip now. Cannot afford more and more changes at the back

It's getting on my wick hearing him speak about the defence. Several of these lads have had seasons to prove they are capable enough to even do the defensive basics and they aren't even coming close.

He doesn't even acknowledge the systemic problem at the back that's plain as day. When taken together, match after match, it isn't bad luck or a little issue anymore. It's becoming his version of 'controlled the game'. He's added pace and goals to the top half of the field but has neglected the other end. Either he's getting it wrong tactically or he's got he wrong personnel; one or the other or both.

I don't want him to make s*** players passable. Make good ones great and ship out those who have shown consistently they aren't up to scratch.

Some of that just doesn't scan.

If we've worked so hard on preparing for a quick throw from the opposition, why did so many fail to react ? One or two might not be concentrating but there are several players there who aren't alert, aren't concerned about the potential threat.

And you can't excuse what Lovren did on their first. s*** happens but don't call it something else.

Seems like he's protecting individuals for the sake of morale, which is fair enough, but I don't believe everything he's saying there.