Sign in to follow this  
usualsuspect

Welcome Georginio Wijnaldum

Works well - Newcastle break him in first season in pl done. Now ready for step up.

Don't know anything about him, but excited that klopp identified a player and we got it done quick with no fuss.

He's not someone I know much about, and when he played against us last season, I couldn't quite work out what his position was. But he looks a fairly rare combination of big and fast, which is great. Not saying he's an Allen replacement, but I think part of the reason we're letting Allen go - despite how good he is - is because he's neither big enough nor fast enough to consistently dominate games or make enough goals and assists.

Would still love us to get a Mascherano type defensive midfielder, but there aren't many of those around.

Nice profit for Newcastle there. Where were our scouts last season?

Still out partying on their bonuses from the Sterling sale.

Still.

In that video, he dumps a Polish player on his a*** (about 1:19 in) - ironically, it's Zielinski.

In that video, he dumps a Polish player on his a*** (about 1:19 in) - ironically, it's Zielinski.

Ha - dumps him on his backside and nicks his favoured move. He'd best keep his Mrs away from him!

Much happier with Wijnaldum than Zielinski, although the latter was more of an unknown quantity to me.

Kuyt says weve been scouting him since his own time here. Different manager now though of course.

Happy with this one.

Yeah. Klopp obviously not prepared to wait for Henderson to return to form. Similar types but the Dutch lad with a touch more class.

Is he going to be good enough to play ahead of Grujic though? :cool:

Whoever steps up hardest. Let em inspire each other

But he looks a fairly rare combination of big and fast, which is great

He's 5'9"

Southampton. Always Southampton.

Another vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmZFvBPporE

Interesting how deep he plays at times. Whenever he gets the ball his first thought is to start an atttack or burst forward. Has awesome acceleration from a standing start. Again likes to get stuck in with defensive duties.

Could be a huge upgrade on the likes of Milner, Allen.

The cross for the goal reminded me of Milner's cross for Lovren against Dortmund.

Yeah. Klopp obviously not prepared to wait for Henderson to return to form. Similar types but the Dutch lad with a touch more class.

Think he'll be playing further forward than Henderson. I wonder if Coutinho will drop back now.

Edited by Dan

Klopp on 4-3-2-1: "For sure Wijnaldum can play in one of those advanced roles or deeper in a two. He can also play either side in a 4-3-3."

Just read Klopp's interview about him, sounds like he's a starter. 

“He’s a complete footballer. He’s good with the ball, he’s really fit, he can run a lot, he’s quick in making decisions and he’s a threat for the goal. He’s quite experienced, he was captain of PSV and he became a champion there - he knows about winning championships".

Think he'll be playing further forward than Henderson. I wonder if Coutinho will drop back now.

I'm thinking more the Henderson of 13/14, not last season. There should be games where Can, Henderson or Grujic can playing alongside Wijnaldum and we can have Mané, Coutinho, Firmino and Origi as a front four. Obviously Wijnaldum is at his most effective further forward but we're heavily stocked with attacking players.

Rafa used him as a centre mid a few times.