Sign in to follow this  
Kid Klopp

We're going to challenge for a position in the league in <insert season>

Don't think there is one real reason, as you put it. The defence contributed to it. So did a relentless run by City and a collective f*** up against Chelsea. Our defence and keeper need to improve. I'm confident it will, but regardless we can definitely challenge - which is what I was contesting originally.

Don't think there is one real reason, as you put it. The defence contributed to it. So did a relentless run by City and a collective f*** up against Chelsea. Our defence and keeper need to improve. I'm confident it will, but regardless we can definitely challenge - which is what I was contesting originally.

Fair enough, I just personally wouldn't be looking too far past the 50 goals we conceded, including the 16 times we conceded two or more. One thing City weren't was relentless, not over the whole piece anyway. They lost 6 games and 86 points was a pretty middling total for League winners in recent years.

Of course there are always loads of factors in why stuff does or doesn't happen but our inability to defend was by far and away the single biggest contributor to not winning it.

Rodgers was sacked on this weekend last year. Here is the table.

4 points more from 1 less game and one more game away from home. Aways last year were Stoke, Arsenal, Utd and Everton - so almost as tough as this season.

Octobertable.png

Will still always baffle me how that run of results was a final straw in a way that losing 6-1 to Stoke wasn't.

Even if it was just a case of us buying time until the point at which we'd already agreed with Klopp that he'd come, Rodgers should have been gone after that match. His continued employment even for that brief period was offensive and, whilst it is probably unfair, explains a big part of why I've got no time for him.

Will still always baffle me how that run of results was a final straw in a way that losing 6-1 to Stoke wasn't.

Even if it was just a case of us buying time until the point at which we'd already agreed with Klopp that he'd come, Rodgers should have been gone after that match. His continued employment even for that brief period was offensive and, whilst it is probably unfair, explains a big part of why I've got no time for him.

you're right it is unfair and very strange logic. should he have quit out of embarrassment or something?

you're right it is unfair and very strange logic. should he have quit out of embarrassment or something?

I think we've established he doesn't do embarrassment.

I'm just describing how I feel about it, not claiming it is logical and I'd already pointed out myself it probably isn't fair. I just wanted him gone there and then.

Yes, instead of sacking his his assistant (and long time friend) and first team coach

Yes, instead of sacking his his assistant (and long time friend) and first team coach

I'll just say Sean O'Driscoll and leave it there.

Sean O'Driscoll btw.

Fair enough, I just personally wouldn't be looking too far past the 50 goals we conceded, including the 16 times we conceded two or more. One thing City weren't was relentless, not over the whole piece anyway. They lost 6 games and 86 points was a pretty middling total for League winners in recent years.

Of course there are always loads of factors in why stuff does or doesn't happen but our inability to defend was by far and away the single biggest contributor to not winning it.

The goals against column isn't the reason we lost that league. In fact to even talk about us 'losing't that league is madness. We start that season as 5/6th favourites for the league. We are deemed to have a much weaker team and squad than the likes of Arsenal, City, Chelsea and even United.

What we do is almost achieve a modern sporting miracle (diminished by Leicester's actually achieving one of these). We score 101 goals ffs. It's the highest total in our post war history. We 'lost' the league for one of two reasons, and probably a combination of both -  1) incredible bad luck, Gerrard's slip. That doesn't happen, we draw in all likelihood, and comfortably negotiate Palace and Newcastle. 2) Nerves. We bottle it, because of our lack of experience.

Obviously we can look over the season at goals against, but the fact is we put ourselves in a position to win that title with 3 games to go. It was not our defence that cost us against Chelsea.

It wasn't about results. He was given a chance to turn things around and the football we played was even worse.

Think the Stoke game ruined him. He was ridiculously cautious last season.

7 games gone. 2 points off top. No one looking like they have anything really special about them except maybe us. Time to tentatively start believing.

The goals against column isn't the reason we lost that league. In fact to even talk about us 'losing't that league is madness. We start that season as 5/6th favourites for the league. We are deemed to have a much weaker team and squad than the likes of Arsenal, City, Chelsea and even United.

What we do is almost achieve a modern sporting miracle (diminished by Leicester's actually achieving one of these). We score 101 goals ffs. It's the highest total in our post war history. We 'lost' the league for one of two reasons, and probably a combination of both - 1) incredible bad luck, Gerrard's slip. That doesn't happen, we draw in all likelihood, and comfortably negotiate Palace and Newcastle. 2) Nerves. We bottle it, because of our lack of experience.

Obviously we can look over the season at goals against, but the fact is we put ourselves in a position to win that title with 3 games to go. It was not our defence that cost us against Chelsea.

Don't get why the goals for are relevant but those against aren't.

Instead of boiling it down to one moment in one game, the reality is that had we defended competently in any one of about ten other games prior to that, then we'd have probably won it.

The fact that we were 5th or 6th favourite going on is irrelevant to how things panned out. Maybe it just means that instead of saying the defence was the reason we 'lost it' (given as we never expected to be in that position) it is more accurate to say that it is the reason we didn't win it. Don't really see how anyone can look at that side and say anything different.

West Brom away

Yep, the Chelsea one wasn't a unique error, it just understandably got more attention given the circumstances and who it involved. The Toure one actually cost us a point more.

We'd shown the season before we could be potent going forward but shambolic at the back and that is precisely why we were 5th or 6th favourites going in.

Edited by kop205

s***ehawk behaviour that was. Imagine sacking your mate to keep your job

7 games gone. 2 points off top. No one looking like they have anything really special about them except maybe us. Time to tentatively start believing.

To be honest I'd say both Spurs and City have looked impressive too to be fair. But the 3 of us do look better than the next down which is Arsenal who have played a few get out of jail cards already.

However, we do have an advantage with not being in Europe and I'd hope once the champions league pushes on it'll take its toll on Spurs and City and we will reap the benefit of it. 

I'm fully enjoying us looking like we can be anyone AND bringing consistency with it too.