Sign in to follow this  
Alonso

Welcome Loris Karius

I thought this was that Payet free kick he conceded against West Ham about 18 months ago, but a bit of a mad theory I have. I think with free kicks we give the taker the option of scoring an absolute worldy. Tell him he can have a small part of the goal that the keeper can't get to and if wants to put it there then feel free, but the chance of that happening is so small that you gamble he can't, and if it happens it happens and you just say 'well in'. That Payet one was similar in that they gave him the top corner but the wall didn't do its job.

Could well be nonsense but would make sense when you see a keeper intentionally stood in what looks like a weird position.

He was stood in the wrong place for the West Ham goal. Please let’s not relitigate it. It’s what made me snap with him.

It was a mistake. Not a master plan.

Perhaps, but I think you have consider that it might be intentional given that standing in the right place is pretty easy to do. And if the wall had done it's job it would never have been mentioned anyway. 

Perhaps, but I think you have consider that it might be intentional given that standing in the right place is pretty easy to do. And if the wall had done it's job it would never have been mentioned anyway.

No. He was just in the wrong position. You could see it before Payet started his run up. He just misjudged it. I haven’t seen our keepers that out of place since.

No. He was just in the wrong position. You could see it before Payet started his run up. He just misjudged it. I haven’t seen our keepers that out of place since.

I know he was in the wrong position, we just disagree on why and it's impossible to be proven either way. 

So what about Mignolet that time ? Scrambling over from the right side because he left most of the goal unguarded

Intentional or just s*** positioning?

Nah. From his right. Goal in the right half of the pitch from the perspective of the tv cameras.

Was it Sunderland or someone else completely shyte ?

Nah. From his right. Goal in the right half of the pitch from the perspective of the tv cameras.

Was it Sunderland or someone else completely shyte ?

Adam Johnson against Sunderland I think? I think that was just crap shot stopping from memory wasn't it? Really weak wrists but I don't remember it clearly. 

That was the last thing he did before being banged up. I’m still struggling to see past how we were the real victims.

Adam Johnson against Sunderland I think? I think that was just crap shot stopping from memory wasn't it? Really weak wrists but I don't remember it clearly.

But it’s a similar mindset - inviting the taker to shoot for the area most difficult to reach.

Drop the wall a yard or two deeper, increase the viewing angle, stand centrally.

But it’s a similar mindset - inviting the taker to shoot for the area most difficult to reach.

Drop the wall a yard or two deeper, increase the viewing angle, stand centrally.

Yeah, I think the wall looks set up for a right footer there as well. Look how far outside the post they're standing. It's like they're daring the left footer to bend it round in to the bottom corner. 

It sounds a bit mad as a theory but you can form an argument around it based on analytics, also possible that they decided it didn't work and binned it, also possible that the keepers were just stood in the wrong place and they've worked on it. Not saying it is the case or anything, just that it's possible. 

Yeah, I think the wall looks set up for a right footer there as well. Look how far outside the post they're standing. It's like they're daring the left footer to bend it round in to the bottom corner. 

It sounds a bit mad as a theory but you can form an argument around it based on analytics, also possible that they decided it didn't work and binned it, also possible that the keepers were just stood in the wrong place and they've worked on it. Not saying it is the case or anything, just that it's possible. 

makes sense - it's like narrowing the angle, you make it harder for the striker overall, but if he gets it right, you have no chance, either you don't have time to react or can't reach (in the case of a FK)

makes sense - it's like narrowing the angle, you make it harder for the striker overall, but if he gets it right, you have no chance, either you don't have time to react or can't reach (in the case of a FK)

Why does the whole wall jump in anticipation ? The ball is 10 yards away, it should be a sufficient distance for a defender to either react or realise the ball isn’t going over them.

that's what walls do - remember Phil sticking one under t6e wall before Christmas?

Brighton away, on December 2nd?

That was indeed one ocassion on which he did that, yes.

Just caught some of the 96/97 review on BT Sport.

How f***ing s*** was David James ?! Even worse than I’d remembered at home to Utd.

Best thing about it was that he thought it was funny

Have a nice weekend  :)

Just caught some of the 96/97 review on BT Sport.

How f***ing s*** was David James ?! Even worse than I’d remembered at home to Utd.

He was a bag of s***e from 95-98. I’ve no idea how he lasted, ruined a side full of talent. Edited by Benzo-13