Sign in to follow this  
Molby

The Gardening Thread

Go on then... :hooked:

they've been on my mind for a while now

the boy is grown and off to uni soon so I wanna blow this gig and settle down (got this dream about buying some land, gonna give up the booze and the one night stands etc)

and Shetlands and Alpacas are a big part of it

just imagine: instead of walking in to my building every day and wishing I was somewhere else, I'll walk out in to a field in the morning and a bunch of ponies will come crowding round to greet me

Petrol and gardens were made for each other

Nature's perfect partnership.

i'm trying to identify bird songs in my garden. So far i've only really got Song Thrush. 

There's an app, like shazaam but for bird songs.

Seriously? I'm on to that. Like Gethin, having recently moved in to a house with a big garden. I'm still wandering around it like a wide-eyed ingenue at the wonders of nature. There're so many birds its untrue and half of them I don't recognise. Had a pair of jay's in last week and I was mesmerised.

Also planted a vegetable patch

I've been contemplating this as well - I had plans to put a veg patch in a certain spot in the garden but since the trees have come into leaf it is really shady in the spot I was thinkning about. The sunniest areas in the garden are probably a bit too exposed and there is not much in between. Dilemma.

Big wooden compost bin is what you want

Been out in the sunshine taking branches that are either dead or overhanging dangerousyly down off a couple of the trees and sawing them up for the woodpile. Beautiful out there  today

Yeah, I got three in a row. First one is almost full and after just about a month is already rotting down very nicley.

Have you seen those compost duvets?

Exposed to what? Give the veg as much sunlight as possible. We're in the north west of England - they are hardly gonna get burnt to a crisp should we get a day or two of decent weather.

Yes, I know that but I have read that veg patches shouldn't be in absolutely full sun. I don't think it does the veg themselves any harm but it will potentially mean they don't get the water they need in dryer spells (apparently - I can't claim this to be true or otherwise, it's just what I read).

Yeah, veg will need quite a bit of water but you can do that yourself. You will be able to grow in both of the types of areas that you have described. You might have good or bad drainage too and that will affect things. 

Has anyone come across an issue with water on leaves in the day causing thin, dead, brown spots on leaves? Any idea on cause and remedy?

Yeah, veg will need quite a bit of water but you can do that yourself. You will be able to grow in both of the types of areas that you have described. You might have good or bad drainage too and that will affect things. 

The other consideration is getting the water to where it needs to be. if I am reliant on a hose etc. then I need a pretty damaned mostrous thing to cover the distanse and it would be trailing across the lawn which is less than desirable.

Has anyone come across an issue with water on leaves in the day causing thin, dead, brown spots on leaves? Any idea on cause and remedy?

Dry each leaf individually?

What sort of plant is it? Different ones are affected by different diseases/fungi/pests so it might depend on what species it is before you know how to fix it.

Edited by charlie clown

It was my kale and lettuce last year. My mum suggested the water on the leaves scorches them when the sun comes out?

The other consideration is getting the water to where it needs to be. if I am reliant on a hose etc. then I need a pretty damaned mostrous thing to cover the distanse and it would be trailing across the lawn which is less than desirable.

I'll give you a monstrous hose in a minute

It was my kale and lettuce last year. My mum suggested the water on the leaves scorches them when the sun comes out?

Nah - these things are often fungi found in the soil. Cut off the affected leaves. s*** happens.

If a combination of sun and water can destroy veg, then we are all f***ed.

We had to fill in our fish pond as we're in the process of adopting a little girl so I'm really considering getting a marine tank. Beautiful things when kept well although more expensive than a freshwater tropical tank.

Anyone got one?

We had to fill in our fish pond as we're in the process of adopting a little girl so I'm really considering getting a marine tank. Beautiful things when kept well although more expensive than a freshwater tropical tank.

Whoa - hang on a minute, there is all sorts of wrong with this. 

And it's a bit much to ask on here. There are agencies and professional traffickers out there if you ask around.

due to pre-match nerves, I'm buying stuff (the alternative is drinking but it's too early)

• pond net (feck off herons)
  • aquarium features, but wait for it: for outside use!!!
  • giant bag o' fish food
  • fold away picnic table and built in chairs
  • parasol base
  • old table
  • tiles, grouting etc for that fun and crucially easy,  mosaic table project

due to pre-match nerves, I'm buying stuff (the alternative is drinking but it's too early)

• pond net (feck off herons)
  • aquarium features, but wait for it: for outside use!!!
  • giant bag o' fish food
  • fold away picnic table and built in chairs
  • parasol base
  • old table
  • tiles, grouting etc for that fun and crucially easy,  mosaic table project

they are a waste of time