The Gardening Thread

Not strictly gardening, but we've a landscape gardener starting in just over a week to renovate and transform our backyard. Just too big a job to take on myself. Garage with asbestos cement roof to be removed etc. Can't wait to have proper decking from rear doors not a plank of hardboard on 4 bits of 2x4 will see if I can post pre and post pics

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Decided that my next gardening project would be to trial a few climbing plants along the long & high fence that separates our garden from the new vicarage next door.  Ordered in half a dozen diffe

Who had "Survives, but with a bit of a twinge" in the sweepstake?

sorry about the possible showiness of this but this was a pic from last year tomatoes in the centre beds peppers everywhere else

Posted Images

On ‎22‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 20:00, Nebraska Red said:

Owner finally showed up and is currently outside replacing the boring privets with some dwarf azaleas and bougainvillea.  He was very nice about the mix up and gave us a tradesman discount card we can use at 2 local garden centers.

That's a great result. Some colour and fragrance instead of the dullard privets.

16 hours ago, Gethin said:

Any advice for getting rid of cabbage moth caterpillars and eggs?

Been flat out the last couple of weeks and not noticed they've half totalled my Kale and Purple Sprouting.

Organically.. the way I used was to net my brassicas but that is not much help now. 

year before netting I used diluted vinegar to try to keep them at bay

I've been lifting the caterpillars off my brassicas and pulling the leaves off altogether that have eggs laid on them. I then leave the caterpillars feeding on the pile of those leaves that I've removed. It may not be a 100% effective solution - and may harm the life chances of the eggs and caterpillars - but I've at least given them a fighting chance whilst protecting my veg.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, charlie clown said:

I've been lifting the caterpillars off my brassicas and pulling the leaves off altogether that have eggs laid on them. I then leave the caterpillars feeding on the pile of those leaves that I've removed. It may not be a 100% effective solution - and may harm the life chances of the eggs and caterpillars - but I've at least given them a fighting chance whilst protecting my veg.

Good call. I'm trying that and dumping them with the leaves by the side of the compost bin which is a good 100m away from where the brassicas are planted. Plants have loads of eggs on them though so gonna have to keep an eye on them

The rate of discovery of new batches of eggs seems to be slowing which I suspect probably means it's getting past the part of the season where they lay a lot of new batches so if you catch them now you might not need to repeat the job too often over the next month or so.

In other garden news I'm having about fifty perennials delivered today for the new border I cleared last weekend so that will be me busy for a fair chunk of the weekend. Can't wait to see it all planted up; it's been nothing but weeds and brambles for the whole of the four years since we moved in so should make a massive difference once it's finished.

3 hours ago, Molby said:

How do I get rid of moles, or whatever is burrowing?

getting beyond a joke now

I heard an owl in the night but it doesn’t seem to be doing much to deter them 

Run a garden hose from the exhaust of your car down one of the holes. The holes are usually linked and it can kill them and deter them.

Or, get a couple of really mean cats.

23 minutes ago, Nebraska Red said:

Run a garden hose from the exhaust of your car down one of the holes. The holes are usually linked and it can kill them and deter them.

To quote 10cc - you’ve got to be joking man

Guess I’d better hit the Innovations Catalogue for a more humane remedy

11 minutes ago, Molby said:

To quote 10cc - you’ve got to be joking man

Guess I’d better hit the Innovations Catalogue for a more humane remedy

The hose from the exhaust really works. When we lived in Omaha, Nebraska, a few of our neighbors did this to get rid of moles. 

Not sure if there is a humane way to deal with these pests. 

45 minutes ago, Nebraska Red said:

The hose from the exhaust really works. When we lived in Omaha, Nebraska, a few of our neighbors did this to get rid of moles. 

Not sure if there is a humane way to deal with these pests. 

I’m sure it does work dude

but it’s not for me 

18 hours ago, Molby said:

Piss in the hole nearest where they enter your garden, failing that put a trap in same hole

2 minutes ago, charlie clown said:

Does the car exhaust thing still work? I thought catalytic converters had done away with that kind if stuff. or am I getting confused with gas ovens?

No you're right.

50 minutes ago, domlfc said:

Piss in the hole nearest where they enter your garden, failing that put a trap in same hole

There’s holes all around the perimeter 

but I’ll load up on booze and give it a go, ta 

2 hours ago, Molby said:

There’s holes all around the perimeter 

but I’ll load up on booze and give it a go, ta 

If that fails, you can get friendly traps, release into evertonians gardens across the city 

On 03/09/2020 at 13:53, charlie clown said:

This seems to have worked - loads at first but haven't seen any for a few days now and everything seems to be growing much more healthily. Nice one 👍

On 04/09/2020 at 15:14, Molby said:

You can get these things you stick in the ground and it emits a noise that they don't like (you won't hear it) so can discourage them.

Alternatively putting bamboo canes in the ground where their tunnels are can sometimes discourage them. That's obviously no good if it's your lawn that's affected tho.

On 04/09/2020 at 18:51, Nebraska Red said:

Bloody hell, that's brutal mate! :lol:

Edited by Tommok
  • 2 weeks later...
On 23/08/2020 at 05:03, Senrab_nhoj said:

Not strictly gardening, but we've a landscape gardener starting in just over a week to renovate and transform our backyard. Just too big a job to take on myself. Garage with asbestos cement roof to be removed etc. Can't wait to have proper decking from rear doors not a plank of hardboard on 4 bits of 2x4 will see if I can post pre and post pics

So not quite like for like pics but you can see the transformation :)

Backyard1.jpg.ec0fc13eabf7adc9f3cdce312b63ed29.jpgBackyard2.jpg.6d08186139c89c40e6ecc0e783d4bcc1.jpg429598265_oldbackyard.jpg.0eae97d704b7a02062fecf012222c4b5.jpg