By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

The under-par golf thread

Murphman

McIlroy very emotional in his interview

Yeah - clearly meant a lot to him. Shame for him he didn’t quite make it today. 65 in those conditions was brilliant. Got to switch up the mental part of his game going forward. Seems to fuxk his chances of winning the majors so early. When he’s on it he’s still capable of ripping up World class fields as he’s shown this season.

Be delighted to see him nail the Grand Slam at Augusta

Because the golf hierarchy is dominated by English and Scots. Old boys network.

Well, they’ve ceded to let this event happen - been a cracking first 2 days and hopefully they’ll be back again within 10 years

Just looks a superb test of golfing skill

It’s always the best Major - am scratching my head as to why this place isn’t on the list as a regular- maybe it will be going forward.

St Andrews every 5 years feels right- loads of other greats to fill in in the intervening years but this is really delivering a cracking & fair challenge

It’s always the best Major - am scratching my head as to why this place isn’t on the list as a regular- maybe it will be going forward.

St Andrews every 5 years feels right- loads of other greats to fill in in the intervening years but this is really delivering a cracking & fair challenge

Yeah portrush is an incredible course. Been sold out for months too. Hopefully its in ireland more often

Its never been played in wales either. How is this? Surely theres some decent links courses in wales?

Its not been picked before because of the troubles.

Ireland has some of the best courses in the world, that’s the only reason they haven’t been there.

I played National this morning. You're going to love it mate. It is such an awesome course. 

It's a really small place and it's pretty isolated. I think there was a long term question about whether they had the infrastructure to manage it. Looks a really good test though, shame the weather hasn't been s*** because opens are better when the weather is s***.

It's a really small place and it's pretty isolated. I think there was a long term question about whether they had the infrastructure to manage it. Looks a really good test though, shame the weather hasn't been s*** because opens are better when the weather is s***.

Apparently it has been the best attended Open ever outside of St Andrew's so on that basis I imagine they will be keen to get it back there.

Though not sure if this is just part of a general upward trend in attendances. I know Birkdale and Hoylake normally get big numbers in, not sure about the others.

Hopefully they f*** Turnberry off.

Apparently it has been the best attended Open ever outside of St Andrew's so on that basis I imagine they will be keen to get it back there.

Though not sure if this is just part of a general upward trend in attendances. I know Birkdale and Hoylake normally get big numbers in, not sure about the others.

Hopefully they f*** Turnberry off.

Yeah looks that way. I thought they'd had to cap capacity really low but apparently not. Mad how you check the population and it's 1/3 of the size of Formby in that respect. 

Lowry was absolutely on fire today. Some great golf from Tommy and Koepka too. Shame about Westwood. Once again, it isn’t happening for him.

The course is sensational though. It’s tragic that it had to wait so long for an Open. It should permanently be on the rotation.

Turnberry should definitely be off limits until it is out of that scumbags hands.

Anyone see Dan Walker's report of him playing a round at Portrush before the Open. Talk about humblebrag.

Anyone, Lowry picked us on Twitter to get relegated the season before the last so he can f*** off, the Manc prick*

*not really, pleased for him

• 5 weeks later...

Played at Formby last week in atrocious weather.

Still loved it, the course is out of this world.

Holes 5-9 are brilliant. The 9th is a monster into the wind. I prefer S&A though personally, even though it doesn’t have as big a reputation as Formby or Hillside.

I’ve just been accepted into Sandiway for next year, and S&A is on their reciprocal deal so can play it for £25!

Tommy Fleetwood is at Sandiway a lot, his kids are both members along with him. He lives in Holmes Chapel apparently so it’s a good location for him. Just knocks about with his carry bag like everyone else, supposed to be a really down to earth bloke. Some stories about where he’s stuck his drives, hard to believe!