Sign in to follow this  
Murphman

The golf thread (put all your sh*t in here and Stevie H is banned)

It's great to play but incredibly punishing. Significantly more challenging than Pebble Beach where the US Open is as an example. The 18th is a terrible closing hole though.

It just looks dead repetitive to me.

Smash a drive and then play a mid iron into a raised green surrounded by heavy rough. Repeat.

No problem with it being hard. Most of the courses they play aren't nearly challenging enough.

There is a lot of undulation in the course and without doubt there is a premium on the fairway as anything wayward is almost a penalty shot. It is very long though so was always going to suit the bombers. Would say its the hardest course I've played (aside from Siloth last week with the wind blowing the wrong way which was brutal).

There is a lot of undulation in the course and without doubt there is a premium on the fairway as anything wayward is almost a penalty shot. It is very long though so was always going to suit the bombers. Would say its the hardest course I've played (aside from Siloth last week with the wind blowing the wrong way which was brutal).

Played Silloth with Kop205 on a sunny but fairly still day a few years back and it was glorious. Very demanding, but fair. One of the few days I played straight pretty much all the way round.

Love Silloth, just a wonderful place to play golf on a sunny day and a nice chippy in the town as well

Not sure there is a right way for the wind to blow though!

I've played the Black many times. It's brutal. But its not boring. Architecturally it is a wonderful course. The greens are a little boring probably because it is a muni that gets massive amounts of play. 50,000 rounds a year (and closed for 3-4 months of that). But Tillinghast is one of the greats, and the Black is one of his best. The 4th and the 15th are absolutely exceptional golf holes. The 12th sucks though. A stupidly difficult hole.

SIlloth is normally played into front 9 and with wind on back (according to the pro). It's rated as the top course under £100 in the country. Number 2 is Ladybank just outside St. Andrews which is brilliant if you ever get the chance.

SIlloth is normally played into front 9 and with wind on back (according to the pro).

Yeah, just not sure it is any easier either way!

SIlloth is normally played into front 9 and with wind on back (according to the pro). It's rated as the top course under £100 in the country. Number 2 is Ladybank just outside St. Andrews which is brilliant if you ever get the chance.

How far of a drive is it from Liverpool? Do you stay up there?

It's best part of three hour drive.

It can be done in a day but not sure I'd fancy it.

Dont stay in Silloth itself. Maybe Keseick.

NYR you need to come and play S&A with us next time you are over. It’s a real beauty, and a little underrated. I think it’s better than both Formby and Hillside.

I’m in the process to join Sandiway for next year. Tommy plays there a lot and his kids are members. It’s a classic, mature (100 year old) parkland course.

Bit like a Northern version of Woburn.

Edited by Leo No.8

It's best part of three hour drive.

It can be done in a day but not sure I'd fancy it.

Dont stay in Silloth itself. Maybe Keseick.

Ta mate. I'll have to get on that. I may stay in Carlisle if and when i do it actually. I've got a good mate there.

NYR you need to come and play S&A with us next time you are over. It’s a real beauty, and a little underrated. I think it’s better than both Formby and Hillside.

I’m in the process to join Sandiway for next year. Tommy plays there a lot and his kids are members. It’s a classic, mature (100 year old) parkland course.

Bit like a Northern version of Woburn.

I definitely have to get on sorting out that trip Leo. We'll get something roughly planned out when we are sitting on the porch of Shinnecock having a post-round booze up.  :thumbs:

I definitely have to get on sorting out that trip Leo. We'll get something roughly planned out when we are sitting on the porch of Shinnecock having a post-round booze up. :thumbs:

Now that is a lovely picture! :)

Getting tight at the PGA. Koepka getting one bogey after the other.

Did his best to bottle it. If DJ had kept the pressure on I think Koepka would have blown it.

Johnson bottled it too

Big time. As soon as it became possible for him to win it his game went to s***.

Rory keeps bottling the opening rounds of Majors. If he can sort that out i think he's got 2 or 3 more in him to become the No.1 European player of all time.

McIlroy decimating the field in the final round of the Canadian Open - a week too early but - he’s potentially on for a round of 59 here