Sign in to follow this  
Murphman

The golf thread (put all your sh*t in here and Stevie H is banned)

Stevie H can feck off and watch whippet racing but he does have a point about hijacking a really  good thread, so ......

Why? Probably just spite and resentment because of the stereotypical golfer and I get that from your perspective  but think about why you say that? A golf club without the 18 flags remains proper greenbelt, often in the middle of town with locals walking their dogs not to mention the recreational aspect.

Posted Today, 16:42 PM

kop205, on 05 Mar 2016 - 2:31 PM, sadsnapback.png

I'd far rather they demolished golf courses for this sort of thing than proper green belt/countryside.

Why? 

EDIT: Just read Murph's post. Specifically, why? Other than sheer spite? What is "proper greenbelt" exactly? Does it include invasive species? What is this greenbelt used for? Property rights are irrelevant?

The council have been told to build more houses. I believe they have a short lease and the council are the freeholders. The entrance is a few hundred yards from the station and Crossrail comes in in 2018. They're a sitting duck by the look of it but I hope they find a way out.

Still, it's their land and their lease. Unfortunately, there isn't much to be done about it. I'm all for property rights and at the end of the day it is their property.

How on earth did they get such a short term lease? Was it an extension of a much longer previous one? 

Why? Probably just spite and resentment because of the stereotypical golfer and I get that from your perspective  but think about why you say that? A golf club without the 18 flags remains proper greenbelt, often in the middle of town with locals walking their dogs not to mention the recreational spect.

shut the f*** up about golf man for f***'s sake. same pricks who play that stupid game are them who readily say 'britain is full' when it's been proven golf courses alone take up more actual space than the entirety of housing in the UK. more UK area is used for golf courses than houses. think about that. so turn golf courses into housing estates. christ i f***ing hate golf. also this is a US president thread, so have you watched the film 'you've been trumped?'. if not, watch it and f*** off.

snapback.png

Why? Probably just spite and resentment because of the stereotypical golfer and I get that from your perspective  but think about why you say that? A golf club without the 18 flags remains proper greenbelt, often in the middle of town with locals walking their dogs not to mention the recreational spect.

I play golf.

There are more than enough courses, most of which are only accessible to a tiny minority of the population. I'm happier losing them than countryside that (a) offers free access to all and (b) isn't artificially manicured and maintained to an extent that it might as well be spray-painted green, such is its environmental credentials

If people can walk their dogs on them then presumably they incorporate public rights of way which will still be there once houses have been built.

There are loads of reasons other than 'sheer spite' to prefer using a golf course as land for housing - especially if it is affordable housing - rather than other green land. it is a bit mad to be honest that you and your mate don't get that.

NYR - did you care about the property rights of the people who had their homes in Anfield compulsory purchased? Or do such things only matter when they suit you?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are plenty of public courses and private members clubs are much more accessible nowadays, most clubs aren't full, the whole game has changed. I'd rather not build on greenbelt at all to be honest but I accept it's not possible. I'd sooner lose a couple of big fields than lose a golf course, the impact on people is vastly different, that said each case on it's merits.

Your houses near the ground analogy is relevant and had the owners been compensated properly it would be a win, win for all.. There is a point a member of a golf club would walk away happily, same principle applies but I wouldn't make any other comparison.

Edited by Murphman

could've just had done with it and called it the tory thread. f*** golf. and f*** working class people getting older and playing it and thinking it's all sound. golf is none more tory. and go watch 'you've been trumped' the movie you pseudo-tory get.

There are plenty of public courses and private members clubs are much more accessible nowadays, most clubs aren't full, the whole game has changed. I'd rather not build on greenbelt at all to be honest but I accept it's not possible. I'd sooner lose a couple of big fields than lose a golf course, the impact on people is vastly different, that said each case on it's merits.

Your houses near the ground analogy is relevant and had the owners been compensated properly it would be a win, win for all.. There is a point a member of a golf club would walk away happily, same principle applies but I wouldn't make any other comparison.

If most clubs aren't full then even less reason to shed any tears about losing a few.

If the big fields are accessible to everyone without restriction would you still rather lose them? And in any case the fields would have to be pretty f***ing big to be the equivalent of the land made available by using a golf course.

I've no issue with proper compensation (which in the case of your average member of a private golf club would be little more than refunding of any lost membership fees and arguably the joining fee as well).

Really, all we are doing is haggling over the price. Enough public land gets slyly taken out of public hands as it is - look at something like Liverpool 1, a huge swathe of the city centre given to private investors on a 250 year lease with no option to renegotiate or invite better bids. On that basis, I really can't be upset about the loss of private golf clubs if it means we don't lose more public space.

Your example seemed to refer to a council course? I'm more sympathetic there, though mostly only because it is seems to be sold for private housing. If it was used for social housing, I'd be less concerned.

could've just had done with it and called it the tory thread. f*** golf. and f*** working class people getting older and playing it and thinking it's all sound. golf is none more tory. and go watch 'you've been trumped' the movie you pseudo-tory get.

Ha ha.

Like I said, I play, have have done since I was a kid, though have no intention of ever joining a club because all the ones I've experienced are full of the people you describe there.

That isn't the basis of my argument here though.

BqqtMDkIEAAD442.jpg

That's dreadful. He needs to bring his left hand across.

If most clubs aren't full then even less reason to shed any tears about losing a few.

I'm not, it's inevitable.

If the big fields are accessible to everyone without restriction would you still rather lose them? And in any case the fields would have to be pretty f***ing big to be the equivalent of the land made available by using a golf course.

There's zillions of greenbelt acres, every situation on it's suspiciously spiteful to target golf courses as a matter of policy.

I've no issue with proper compensation (which in the case of your average member of a private golf club would be little more than refunding of any lost membership fees and arguably the joining fee as well).

We own our club. We bought it, paid millions for it.

Really, all we are doing is haggling over the price. Enough public land gets slyly taken out of public hands as it is - look at something like Liverpool 1, a huge swathe of the city centre given to private investors on a 250 year lease with no option to renegotiate or invite better bids. On that basis, I really can't be upset about the loss of private golf clubs if it means we don't lose more public space.

Your example seemed to refer to a council course? I'm more sympathetic there, though mostly only because it is seems to be sold for private housing. If it was used for social housing, I'd be less concerned.

No a members course but with a short lease. as I say, each case on it's merits.

Ha ha.

Like I said, I play, have have done since I was a kid, though have no intention of ever joining a club because all the ones I've experienced are full of the people you describe there.

This is a fair shout, me included.

That isn't the basis of my argument here though.

I've gotta go out x

There's zillions of greenbelt acres, every situation on it's suspiciously spiteful to target golf courses as a matter of policy.

I've no idea what this means.

Or at least I've an idea but don't think anyone could seriously think that.

If you own your club you can get a bit more then. What is your share?

There isn't one golf business. They are all individual businesses that are lumped into general groupings. High-end private golf, low-end private golf, high-end public golf, low-end public golf, resort golf, real estate based golf, municipal golf courses, seasonal clubs and on and on. Each of them stand on their own. If you have a poorly run private club, or a terrible course, or a chronic lack of play or wasteful agronomic practices then they will run into trouble and go belly up. That's life. Liquidate it and do something else with the land.

Private golf clubs are gradually getting over themselves. The social image and attitude is very different to what it was 25 years ago and is changing quickly. It has to. The same is true of the agronomy. They are infinitely more environmentally friendly than they were even a decade ago. The science is better. And the truth is that if a course is polluting the environment, then they are putting down too much nitrogen and pesticides and often in inappropriate ways. That is becoming far rarer because that is a total waste of money and operators know it. The era of Augusta, emerald green courses is just not viable with very few exceptions any more.

As for that film about Trump's course in Scotland, that was an incredible indictment of how idiotic Salmond and all of his cronies were in Scotland. They fell for Trump's bulls*t hook, line and sinker. It didn't have much to offer in the way of the inherent evil of golf.

For me? Pool and snooker. Utter wastes of time. Darts is no bargain either. But hey, to each his own.  

Golf is a great game, and it seems some people's view is pre Tiger Woods when it was mostly only played by old farts in private clubs. That changed about 25 years ago - I spent many of my younger days from the age of 11 on Allerton, first the 9 hole then the 18 as I got better. In the old days before bookings you used to put your ball in the trough and wait - sometimes it would be full with a line of balls behind it. Not many snobs on that course lads and golf is big in Liverpool - loads of my mates play. Golf is played by everyone across all demographics these days and it's a great game to go and get away from your daily grind and get some peace; playing different courses some of which are very picturesque is a real pleasure. Some people on here just like railing against anything that goes against their own world viewpoint, and I find those people incredibly aggressive with their views. Kop205 going round bulldozing golf courses - hope he never gets into government, what a dictator he'd be.

Some people on here just like railing against anything that goes against their own world viewpoint, and I find those people incredibly aggressive with their views. Kop205 going round bulldozing golf courses - hope he never gets into government, what a dictator he'd be.

See, everything valid and reasonable you said prior to this has just gone right out of the window with that.

With regard to all of this, and as someone who plays golf, what is my 'world viewpoint'?  And, again, I was talking about preferring to use golf courses than public green space for things like much needed housing etc.

But then you've got your big house and everything so who cares, eh? But heaven forbid that someone with my values as opposed to yours ever be making decisions that call for them to consider other people.

It's not really accurate to say all demographics play golf. For one thing the kids living in poverty may never get to play this game. Then there's the race issue which is different to other sports in the UK

" in figures obtained from Sport England, which reveal that only 2% of a total 850,500 people who play on a weekly basis are non-white. It is an alarming statistic and falls significantly below the equivalent figures in football, rugby union, cricket and tennis."

I've no idea what this means.

Or at least I've an idea but don't think anyone could seriously think that.

If you own your club you can get a bit more then. What is your share?

I was writing whilst getting a b******ing for keeping her waiting, I should have waited. What I was trying to say was, targeting golf clubs rather than a convenient field smacks of spite. There are plenty of clubs going to the wall at the moment, participants are dropping,  I was membership chairman and have been dealing with this for quite a while. To close down a successful thriving club when there is millions of hectares full of cows locally reeks of spite. The fact a public course would be looked at more favourably isn't right at all, you might as well go the whole hog and knock down big houses to build loads of small ones.

It's not really accurate to say all demographics play golf. For one thing the kids living in poverty may never get to play this game. 

Same for virtually any sport though. Why football is so universal. and if we are talking stuffy sport for the well off then tennis can f*** off for a start.

Edited by D.Boon

Far more people get something out of those fields of cows than the number of people who get any use of that golf course, you daft sod.

It's not really accurate to say all demographics play golf. For one thing the kids living in poverty may never get to play this game. Then there's the race issue which is different to other sports in the UK

" in figures obtained from Sport England, which reveal that only 2% of a total 850,500 people who play on a weekly basis are non-white. It is an alarming statistic and falls significantly below the equivalent figures in football, rugby union, cricket and tennis."

The same stat applies to Sunday football with regards Asians. If you believe it like.. I know a bit about Asians joining posh golf clubs, they are under represented and there is a lot of old school racism (which we deal with vigorously) but that isn't the reason relatively few join our club, it's the money. There is a large group of reasonably well heeled Asian lads all play locally at a much inferior track. I've met quite a few of them and they all cite the joining fee as to why they won't come. For the record I think those stats are bolllocks anyway, who did the counting?

Far more people get something out of those fields of cows than the number of people who get any use of that golf course, you daft sod.

I demand my right to cheese.

. For the record I think those stats are bolllocks anyway, who did the counting?

Err....Sports England from the looks of it.

targeting golf clubs rather than a convenient field smacks of spite

, you might as well go the whole hog and knock down big houses to build loads of small ones.

The first bit is b******s, as has been pointed out and explained several times in the thread already. But yeah, the poor, persecuted, golf-playing classes....won't somebody think of them? "First they came for the golfers, and I did not speak out, because I was not a golfer...."

The second bit sounds like a great idea!

See, everything valid and reasonable you said prior to this has just gone right out of the window with that.

With regard to all of this, and as someone who plays golf, what is my 'world viewpoint'? And, again, I was talking about preferring to use golf courses than public green space for things like much needed housing etc.

But then you've got your big house and everything so who cares, eh? But heaven forbid that someone with my values as opposed to yours ever be making decisions that call for them to consider other people.

See this is nothing to do with what I've got and what I haven't so there's no reason for mentioning that and it's just a personal attack from someone who knows nothing about me. I think that the generalisation of golf and people who play the game that's going on here is very unfair. Most of my mates who play golf haven't got particularly much, and this may or may not surprise you but I don't choose to be friends with the people who live around where I do because I'm too different to them. I grew up in a terraced house in Wavertree, and around a few years in university in Leeds lived there till I was 27. Then I moved to Widnes for the next 8 years. All my mates are from Liverpool or Widnes, I'm not a snob and never will be. I've built a business up from nothing and done alright - this means I can give my family a nice life. If that's offensive to you, well there's nothing I can do about it, but I contribute and work for charity and also volunteer for the Silver Line in my spare time - so saying I've got my big house and I don't care about anyone else is grossly unfair. I care a lot thanks. The last part of my post was because you are suggesting destroying golf courses that make a lot of people very happy because you've decided to generalise that everyone who plays the game is s Tory snob - it's vindictive. I work 60-70 hours a week and along with my family time, my few hours on the golf course once each weekend is a bit of time to myself that I enjoy and is important to me. There are hardly any of the type of people you mention playing at my club and I swerve them - I mostly play with a lad who works on the railways and a joiner. I put up with these comments because I don't really give a f*ck what anyone on here thinks of me, but you couldn't be more wrong. Edited by Leo No.8

See this is nothing to do with what I've got and what I haven't so there's no reason for mentioning that and it's just a personal attack from someone who knows nothing about me. I think that the generalisation of golf and people who play the game that's going on here is very unfair. Most of my mates who play golf haven't got particularly much, and this may or may not surprise you but I don't choose to be friends with the people who live around where I do because I'm too different to them. I grew up in a terraced house in Wavertree, and around a few years in university in Leeds lived there till I was 27. Then I moved to Widnes for the next 8 years. All my mates are from Liverpool or Widnes, I'm not a snob and never will be. I've built a business up from nothing and done alright - this means I can give my family a nice life. If that's offensive to you, well there's nothing I can do about it, but I contribute and work for charity and also volunteer for the Silver Line in my spare time - so saying I've got my big house and I don't care is grossly unfair. The last part of my post was because you are suggesting destroying golf courses that make a lot of people very happy because you've decided to generalise that everyone who plays the game is s Tory snob - it's vindictive. I work 60-70 hours a week and along with my family time, my few hours on the golf course once each weekend is a bit of time to myself that I enjoy and is important to me. There are hardly any of the type of people you mention playing at my club and I swerve them - I mostly play with a lad who works on the railways and a joiner. I put up with these comments because I don't really give a f*ck what anyone on here thinks of me, but you couldn't be more wrong.

Bit rich bemoaning the personal attacks Leo given what you said about me in the last line of your previous post.

You being able to provide for your family doesn't offend me at all, it is great. Your constant flaunting of your wealth/how generally great you are ('I'll tell you what car I definitely WON'T be taking to Wembley and that's my brand new Porsche!") doesn't even offend me either...I just find it a bit laughable.

Am sure you are a sound lad. All I'm doing is responding to stuff you say on here, which comes across as overly serious and more than a bit smug - whereas you find my stuff needlessly belligerent. Sound. We're probably both nicer than the other sees us.

I've not generalised everyone who plays the game and I've no wish to remove golf courses out of spite - the idea doesn't even make any sense to me. I came into this to point out that I'd arther see a golf club not have its lease renewed and that land be used to build much needed housing than I would see more public green spaces lost.