Sign in to follow this  
DazzlaJ

EU Referendum

EU Referendum  

327 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

And the party with the 3rd largest members of Parliament have how much exactly?? 

Sooner we are gone the better.

National polling intention polls usually only include parties who stand in all parts of the country. Where this isn't the case, it will be clearly stated - but polls including Scottish constituencies are taken less frequently. So, no it doesn't tell us the whole picture, but you can only judge trends properly if you compare equivalent polls.

I know. Like I say, don't give them ammo. Gove ripped him yesterday about everything other than Brexit and his policies.

That says a lot about how s*** scared they are.

Corbyn could wear a suit and bellow the national anthem out - they’d still go for him so why play on their board?

Maybe your problem is that you base your opinions entirely on media coverage without any examination of what is really happening.

There is some truth in that, absolutely I'll admit that. But equally, it's wrong to down play the significance the media coverage plays, imo

That says a lot about how s*** scared they are.

Corbyn could wear a suit and bellow the national anthem out - they’d still go for him so why play on their board?

Yes!

Do you reckon there is an electable pro another referendum play here?

I'm torn on it, because it seems a no brainer to me, but then it is what I want. 

There is some truth in that, absolutely I'll admit that. But equally, it's wrong to down play the significance the media coverage plays, imo

I'm not saying it has no effect, it clearly does otherwise they wouldn't do it. What was interesting though in the last election, when there are rules that broadcasters need to give proportional coverage to each of the parties and Corbyn got as close to a fair hearing as he will ever get, Labour went from the mid twenties in the polls at the beginning which then rose dramatically in the space of a few weeks until they actually polled 40% in the election. A rise in popularity that I believe is pretty much unprecedented.

Labour's proposed policies are popular with the electorate, and this is why so much bulls*** gets thrown at Corbyn because the media know it.

Do you reckon there is an electable pro another referendum play here?

I'm torn on it, because it seems a no brainer to me, but then it is what I want. 

I think it's tough and I think the preferred line was getting elected on the basis of pursuing brexit with a 2nd ref available if a satisfactory deal couldn't be reached because then he's in government.

I don't know where the votes come from to get him elected unless the Tory remain vote goes to the Lib Dems which I don't expect because A it's terrible and B a lot of Tory remainers would rather a soft brexit than a Corbyn government

I think it's tough and I think the preferred line was getting elected on the basis of pursuing brexit with a 2nd ref available if a satisfactory deal couldn't be reached because then he's in government.

I don't know where the votes come from to get him elected unless the Tory remain vote goes to the Lib Dems which I don't expect because A it's terrible and B a lot of Tory remainers would rather a soft brexit than a Corbyn government

Yeah, the numbers breakdown would be hard to have with any confidence and it would be a single issue campaign almost. 

Plus you'd get accused of disrespecting democracy etc etc

All of this ignores the practicalities of arranging a 2nd vote as well. Apparently it would take a minimum of 22 weeks which takes us past the A50 deadline, then there's the question of securing a parliamentary majority for it, then there's the issue of what the question on the ballot will be.

All of that, and then no guarantee that the PV people get the result they want anyway even if they do manage to get another vote. I think it would just create more problems than it solves.

Guy on the radio just said that if there's another referendum, the country will have effectively become a dictatorship. That's some logic.

:lol:

Yeah, the numbers breakdown would be hard to have with any confidence and it would be a single issue campaign almost. 

Plus you'd get accused of disrespecting democracy etc etc

Exactly it's an incredibly difficult position and I've no real idea how it should be played. The disrespecting democracy I think can be answered to, close call nefarious practices, no plan for what it meant, not ideal but at least answers but putting yourself in that position without a clear path to victory would be nuts.

All of this ignores the practicalities of arranging a 2nd vote as well. Apparently it would take a minimum of 22 weeks which takes us past the A50 deadline, then there's the question of securing a parliamentary majority for it, then there's the issue of what the question on the ballot will be.

All of that, and then no guarantee that the PV people get the result they want anyway even if they do manage to get another vote. I think it would just create more problems than it solves.

This is also correct and tbh I find the practical challenges greater than the principled ones.

not looking for any guarantees

just a say on what deal the politicians actually obtain rather than the criminal/fantasy/bulls*** version that won the vote in 2016

and if that takes 22 weeks, so be it. 

think it's pretty clear Art 50 needs extending

Edited by Cobs

No.10 has said the only points of the deal May might be willing to shift position on in talks are worker's rights and environmental protections.

A second referendum and a Norway style Customs Union are not up for discussion.

No.10 has said the only points of the deal May might be willing to shift position on in talks are worker's rights and environmental protections.

Which means that f*** you is the appropriate LP response

She’s using no deal as threat to promote her own deal. Won’t be allowed. There has to be an election as the only real way of breaking the deadlock

'kinell

someone needs to remind her that her deal just lost by 230 votes !!

So what’s the point of Corby meeting her then? None. He’s dead right on this.

Why isn’t Corbyn helping bring about a second referendum by talking to someone who refuses to consider one?

you think the reason he's not promoting a 2nd Ref is because of Theresa May?

Vince Cable has indicated that the Libs will vote with the Tories in any future no confidence vote

what's his thinking there?

Why isn’t Corbyn helping bring about a second referendum by talking to someone who refuses to consider one?

If this deadlock continues and we get closer to No Deal, what chance yer Soubrys, Clarkes and Grieves putting their money where their mouth is and voting against May in a confidence vote?

Not rhetorical, that's a genuine question.

Corbyn

"But if the government remains intransigent, if support for Labour’s alternative is blocked for party advantage, and the country is facing the potential disaster of No Deal, our duty will then be to look at other options which we’ve set out in our conference motion, including the option of a public vote."

"Labour will put down our own amendment next week, setting out our alternative plan based around a permanent customs union with a British say in future trade deals; a strong single market relationship; and a guarantee at least to keep pace with EU rights at work, environmental protections, and consumer standards.

Those three elements provide the essential building blocks of a sensible deal with the clear potential to win majority support in parliament."