By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Any running folk on here

sean

Started going out again after two years of very inconsistent exercise. Turned 43 last week and, work-aside, my pace of life has slowed down massively since the pandemic so I really need to start looking after myself better. I’ve got a two stone weight-loss target but the main thing is just my health. 

Anyway, i’m doing 3 short runs a week for a month to build up a modicum of fitness. Just 3/4k’s for now - need to get back in the habit.

Next month i’ll go up to 5/6 and then maybe think about doing some 10’s in the new year. 

Hard innit. 

Edited by Stanley Leisure
  • Like 3

On 12/11/2022 at 07:56, Stanley Leisure said:

Started going out again after two years of very inconsistent exercise. Turned 43 last week and, work-aside, my pace of life has slowed down massively since the pandemic so I really need to start looking after myself better. I’ve got a two stone weight-loss target but the main thing is just my health. 

Anyway, i’m doing 3 short runs a week for a month to build up a modicum of fitness. Just 3/4k’s for now - need to get back in the habit.

Next month i’ll go up to 5/6 and then maybe think about doing some 10’s in the new year. 

Hard innit. 

remember with weight loss that muscle weighs more than fat so at a point you'll stop losing weight

building up distance isn't that hard - focus on day on/day off - increase 10% a week. Doesn't seem like much but it soon starts to add up - like in miles, 2, 2, 3 = 7

wk 2 - 2, 3, 3 = 8

then 3, 3, 3 

in about 10 weeks you can be at 20mpw if you follow that and after that eventually you have to bin the 10% or you'll be at 60, or 90 by spring

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sir Tokyo Sexwale said:

remember with weight loss that muscle weighs more than fat so at a point you'll stop losing weight

building up distance isn't that hard - focus on day on/day off - increase 10% a week. Doesn't seem like much but it soon starts to add up - like in miles, 2, 2, 3 = 7

wk 2 - 2, 3, 3 = 8

then 3, 3, 3 

in about 10 weeks you can be at 20mpw if you follow that and after that eventually you have to bin the 10% or you'll be at 60, or 90 by spring

Thanks, mate. 

• Upvote 1

I'm thinking of restarting running. After the seizure back in May my fitness, which was never high to start with, has dropped through the floor. Not the best time of year to do it I guess it's better doing it when the weather's cold and wet than in the summer when it's too hot to move.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2022 at 12:56, Stanley Leisure said:

Hard innit. 

Hopefully you'll enjoy it and become addicted which will make it easier. The only thing stopping me from running more is the toll it takes on my body so am cycling more but still running a bit. Exercise is definitely my drug of choice these days for both physical and mental health.

1 hour ago, charlie clown said:

I'm thinking of restarting running. After the seizure back in May my fitness, which was never high to start with, has dropped through the floor. Not the best time of year to do it I guess it's better doing it when the weather's cold and wet than in the summer when it's too hot to move.

layers & it's ok.

I went out in double L/S tops today & it wasn't bad.

Have at least 1 quality item as a top layer - North Face, Patagonia, Arcteryx etc & you're sorted

On 18/11/2022 at 15:32, Sir Tokyo Sexwale said:

layers & it's ok.

I went out in double L/S tops today & it wasn't bad.

Have at least 1 quality item as a top layer - North Face, Patagonia, Arcteryx etc & you're sorted

Yeah, I have a breathable, wind-proof and shower-proof running top that I use in the wet and windy months. Makes a massive difference.

• Like 1

Ran a 4M yesterday - it's not as massively a competitive race as many NYC ones b/c the marathon was 2w ago so many of the really good runners did that. 

Was happy with my time - 24.29 - 2nd in my age group but 1 f***ing second off winning it (the AG). Top 3 place was the goal (I've done it 2x in this race before) so happy with that but 1 second...now I just keep thinking about the 1s I could have made up on the course somewhere.

There's a moral here but dunno what it is.

It was f***ing cold though - about 1C (33F) but windy so windchill was minus 3 or minus 5 - wore a compression top (like the footy players wear under their shirts) a smartwoll long sleeve over that and a racing singlet on top. Totally did the job

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Sir Tokyo Sexwale said:

Nice work @Dan - peak district - hilly?

Unusually flat mate for round here (577ft elevation). I'm used to the hills though here so that's probably why I did well.

Edited by Dan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good end to the year with the running. Happy with the progress since I started back up in March / April. 

First 5k of the year was around 31 mins. Got a 5K PB of 23:34 a few weeks back and regularly hitting under 25 mins for 5ks which was a massive effort only a couple months back. Early aim next year is to regularly hit sub 24 and attempt a 22:30 PB. Would like to see if I can get close to 20mins next year but that does really seem like next level. Even going 1km at the pace required is very hard and tiring and feels like your sprinting for your life 🤣

Did first 10km race at Wesham at the end of November. Ended up around 53:30 which was happy with. Was pretty wavy roads and windy! I’d like to try and get sub 50 early next year on a 10k. Stretch goal will be prob in between 45-47.

Also did my longest run (16km) today. Could have carried on but it’s quite a good bit more than I’ve ever done so didn’t wanna risk injury. Sets me up for attempting half marathon distance in next couple months too. 

Edited by crisps
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Nice work crisps

I'm just back from the UK & Senegal - 2w off running, I find the less I run the more I hurt, I get deep tissue pains and stuff. 

Have a 10k race on Sat so that's going to be interesting as I haven't raced that distance since the same race in 2019 but my late-2022 results were good so I think I'll do well enough. Unlikely a PR, more a solid base to start. Have a half on the 22nd which is in Central park so hilly as f*** and again, won't be ripping up trees, more a solid run and a base for an April marathon Boston if I can't wing a London spot through charity (and assuming I stay injury free)

• 2 weeks later...

got a charity spot in the London Marathon, so going to bounce Boston for it. I'll also have to hit up the forum for donations.

A mate of mine, in my team is 62. He's one of 82 people ever to do all 6 majors in a calendar year (London will be my 5th major) - and he's doing them all again this year. Safe bet he'll be in a group of maybe 1 to have done that twice. It also means running Boston on 17 April & London on 23 April

• Like 2

Anyone else into the Nike shoes (r)evolution? Have to say I've been a cynic but got a pair of vaporflys and alphaflys (with carbon plates) and I find it makes me run far more efficiently by ensuring I run forward on my toes, as opposed to heel striking. Did 10 miles on Sunday in alphas and ran 10 min/mile pace without really trying.

Not sure if I'll be able to use them for marathon long run training as I usually need insoles for a long standing IT band issue from flat arches.

Wondering what the consensus is here as not many fans of them in the running group I'm in.

17 hours ago, Sir Tokyo Sexwale said:

got a charity spot in the London Marathon, so going to bounce Boston for it. I'll also have to hit up the forum for donations.

A mate of mine, in my team is 62. He's one of 82 people ever to do all 6 majors in a calendar year (London will be my 5th major) - and he's doing them all again this year. Safe bet he'll be in a group of maybe 1 to have done that twice. It also means running Boston on 17 April & London on 23 April

Whatever🙄

( https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-64286469 )

• Confused 1