By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Any running folk on here

sean

Thoughts on road v treadmill work. I tend to do speed-work on the treadmill but find my shins ache after it. I'm 41, this may have zero to do with the type of workout and everything to do with my body saying 'f*** this'.

Periodic IT Band problem too but I manage this.

so much to it - like your running style - try not to hit the ground hard on the heel, get your shoulders fwd & lean fwd try to land more on the ball. Also a goal is to hit 170-180 strides/min - so count only one foot hitting the ground & double it (over a min). Too many strides below this means you're over extending when you run & as a result are using more energy & hitting the ground harder.

Don't overdo the mileage increases.

Some people get shin splints - doctors don't really know what causes them - some don't.

Personally I can't abide a treadmill - although I put it on a 2% incline when I do as it's apparently more like outdoor running then

Slowly does it if you are scaling up for distance or pace.

Road over treadmill for me always - for no other reason than you get to look at something if you are out and about

Agree with Macca/Tokyo - get your head and shoulders forward and then you won't "brake" with each stride. If you are always pushing back then you don't waste energy.

High foot fall rate imperative to save energy and to keep the head forward.

Find the time of day which works best for you (just prior to lunch for me, any other time and I can't get my energy levels right)

Recognizing that a rest day or an easy run is part of a training schedule.

And if you don't train at a high pace then you won't achieve that pace in an event.

Absolutely love running. Gives me a huge buzz.

Got some sage advice a few years back to get a little metronome and set it to 90 per minute and time one foot to land as it clicks. Took about 2 weeks but improved my running posture immeasurably.

Have done a lot of 5 & 10k's and a few half marathons but simply can't train for a marathon due to the IT band flaring once I hit about 60-70k per week in training. Have tried everything, all the usual advice and changes of footwear to suit my gait.

I think the main issue with the treadmill is that the scenery doesn't change so it's just far less rewarding mentally. I don't feel I can endure too much time on it due to it being boring as hell, so I tend to keep it to speed workouts, Yasso 800's and the like.

Cheers lads

Edited by sean

I have run lightly off and on for a few years but only really started doing it regulary from early this year (aged 51). I have no great ambitions to run marathons or owt, just to get our for an hour or so a few times a week to stretch my legs and lungs and feel the wind and rain on my face - which I get very little off being stuck in an office and/or car up to 12 hours a day.

Absolutely hate the idea of indoor work and treadmills - the whole point fo rme is getting out into the open air.

Bought some new running shoes the the weekend - Saucony ISO Triumphs.hoping to give them their first try out tomorrow evening.

I have run lightly off and on for a few years but only really started doing it regulary from early this year (aged 51). I have no great ambitions to run marathons or owt, just to get our for an hour or so a few times a week to stretch my legs and lungs and feel the wind and rain on my face - which I get very little off being stuck in an office and/or car up to 12 hours a day.

Absolutely hate the idea of indoor work and treadmills - the whole point fo rme is getting out into the open air.

Bought some new running shoes the the weekend - Saucony ISO Triumphs.hoping to give them their first try out tomorrow evening.

I've Saucony flats for short/fast runs and Brooks Ghost for longer plods

I've never used a treadmill so not much help- here but.... If you aren't getting the injury on tarmac it could be footfall? Do you get the shin pain if you do speedwork on tarmac? grass? Never been convinced by attempts to change gait & posture, very difficult to achieve and just as likely to cause injuries. Your body has ended up running like that for a reason....

On adding mileage - never add more than 10% a week (to total distance & longest run).

There's no need to run 60-70k a week to run a good marathon time, I know people who've ran very good times (2:45 male, 3:02 female) on 3-4 sessions a week and rarely running consecutive days just concentrate on key sessions 1*speed, 1*tempo/hills and 1*long run

I've never used a treadmill so not much help- here but.... If you aren't getting the injury on tarmac it could be footfall? Do you get the shin pain if you do speedwork on tarmac? grass? Never been convinced by attempts to change gait & posture, very difficult to achieve and just as likely to cause injuries. Your body has ended up running like that for a reason....

On adding mileage - never add more than 10% a week (to total distance & longest run).

There's no need to run 60-70k a week to run a good marathon time, I know people who've ran very good times (2:45 male, 3:02 female) on 3-4 sessions a week and rarely running consecutive days just concentrate on key sessions 1*speed, 1*tempo/hills and 1*long run

No, it's definitely the change from road to the treadmill, was just wondering if anyone else experienced it. It goes pretty quick.

The long run is the problem, so I've tended to split it into more frequent but shorter runs (10-15k). Once I start to do the longer ones on the final training curve it starts at me.

No, it's definitely the change from road to the treadmill, was just wondering if anyone else experienced it. It goes pretty quick.

The long run is the problem, so I've tended to split it into more frequent but shorter runs (10-15k). Once I start to do the longer ones on the final training curve it starts at me.

I used to get something similar running in a pair of adidas supernova (but not on a treadmill). It won't be shin splints, loads of people think they have shin splints but they don't.

Sounds like it could how the impact is distributed on your foot to me - I'm guessing you use the saucony (which model) on the treadmill. Tried running on it in the Brooks? Also, where the Brooks recommended after the gait analysis, only ask as I know that model used to have a reputation for extreme cushioning.

I used to get something similar running in a pair of adidas supernova (but not on a treadmill). It won't be shin splints, loads of people think they have shin splints but they don't.

Sounds like it could how the impact is distributed on your foot to me - I'm guessing you use the saucony (which model) on the treadmill. Tried running on it in the Brooks? Also, where the Brooks recommended after the gait analysis, only ask as I know that model used to have a reputation for extreme cushioning.

I use the Kinvara from the Saucony family, I couldn't use these on anything longr than 10k.

The Brooks were after the gait analysis, they are prefect for my footfall, being a supinator. They're minimal 4mm drop from heel to toe.

Sean, are you training for an event?

I train in the gym and hardly ever run because I get injured

but my fitness is ok because I do other workouts

the body gets fit by being shocked rather than doing the same thing all the time, and HIT is the quickest way

now and again I do some kind of charity run but I don't have to run in order to train for it; I just turn up and it's easy as I keep fit 3 times a week or more in the gym -

and I'm 48 and 'not slim'

as an example, yesterday I did 15 mins on the bike, including 3x 30 second sprints, which is the hardest thing of all, 15 mins on a fast walk on the treadmill, on a level 5 gradient, including 3x 1 minute on the top gradient of 15, and 15 mins on the cross trainer at a consistent but reasonably good pace, to finish off

just the act of varying the order or putting the sprints at the beginning or the middle of the 15 minute sections will shock you body and get you fit much faster than just going on runs and gradually increasing the distance would

the other good one is squats - gets you fit, loses weight via firing up the quads and builds strength

I'd always be registered for a race in the future, just to keep me from losing interest. Nothing specific.

I'm not sure I agree with the shocking aspect of getting fit. Your fitness base is built on a lot of 'junk' miles being put in the legs. I understand the theory and that your body 'super-adapts' to a really high impact session but it's not something I'd look to do much. I do speed/hill/interval workouts that keep the legs guessing and to be able to have a 'gear', so to speak.

I use the Kinvara from the Saucony family, I couldn't use these on anything longr than 10k.

The Brooks were after the gait analysis, they are prefect for my footfall, being a supinator. They're minimal 4mm drop from heel to toe.

Definitely try the Brooks on the treadmill. They'll feel clunky and like you haven't got enough room to run it but should give you a clue if the problem is related to shoes, treadmill or physical

I'd always be registered for a race in the future, just to keep me from losing interest. Nothing specific.

I'm not sure I agree with the shocking aspect of getting fit. Your fitness base is built on a lot of 'junk' miles being put in the legs. I understand the theory and that your body 'super-adapts' to a really high impact session but it's not something I'd look to do much. I do speed/hill/interval workouts that keep the legs guessing and to be able to have a 'gear', so to speak.

that's what I mean by shocks

just variety, but I think it's defo worth using the bike and the cross trainer and squats too - it also means you put less stress on your muscles and can train on consecutive days if that's how your diary dictates and you can't space it out on certain weeks

so many people just do the same thing every time, myself included if I let myself fall in to that habit

Definitely try the Brooks on the treadmill. They'll feel clunky and like you haven't got enough room to run it but should give you a clue if the problem is related to shoes, treadmill or physical

It's a good idea. I don't ever think of wearing them on it as it feels like I've boots on.

Sean - I was talking to a woman I train with last week. She ran NY in 3:00:26 and was only really doing 40mi/w. She's not a high mileage runner but the guy who takes out training - a 2:18 marathoner - said that the long runs (20mi) are key. If you can get one long one in per week the rest of the total mileage is less important.

Shoes - I use the Kinvara too. Love them to bits. I use them for half-marathons. For shorter - 10k & sub I have the Mizuno Hitogami. They're bloody great too.

Used to use the Mizuno Wave Precision which were great but then they stopped them & changed to the Sayonara, I found in them after about 8mi I got crazy pains in my toes like I was getting electric shocks. So binned them off

Sean - I was talking to a woman I train with last week. She ran NY in 3:00:26 and was only really doing 40mi/w. She's not a high mileage runner but the guy who takes out training - a 2:18 marathoner - said that the long runs (20mi) are key. If you can get one long one in per week the rest of the total mileage is less important.

Shoes - I use the Kinvara too. Love them to bits. I use them for half-marathons. For shorter - 10k & sub I have the Mizuno Hitogami. They're bloody great too.

Used to use the Mizuno Wave Precision which were great but then they stopped them & changed to the Sayonara, I found in them after about 8mi I got crazy pains in my toes like I was getting electric shocks. So binned them off

Whatever about 2:18, the 3:00 is like my best 5k race pace (sub 20mins once) except it's over 8 times the distance. That's great running.

Getting awful shin splints which is now stopping me running at all - anyone actually beaten this?

better trainees helped me a while ago when i used to run further. Also, alternating between treadmill and road helped. Treadmill is more cushioned. I am heavy as well which doesnt help. Even when fit I'm well over 14 stone so if you are heavy then weight off helps. Finally have a sprint session instead of one of your running sessions. That helped me

better trainees helped me a while ago when i used to run further. Also, alternating between treadmill and road helped. Treadmill is more cushioned. I am heavy as well which doesnt help. Even when fit I'm well over 14 stone so if you are heavy then weight off helps. Finally have a sprint session instead of one of your running sessions. That helped me

Thanks mate. Getting the problem on both treadmill and road so maybe time to invest in better trainers.

I enjoy running, but I'm probably limited to how good I can get purely by being quite big and broad shouldered. It takes a lot of energy to move 14.5 stone! The distance runners I know who are really good are much more slim of build.

I was doing 10ks but I realised that again at my size, I'm probably likely to injure myself so I'm trying to do faster 5k runs instead now. Think my best 10k was 48:20, thought I was doing alright but seeing that people do it in under 40 minutes just made me realise I'm not cut out for it! I could never run 10k that fast in a million years.

I've got my 5k time down to 22:47 which for a big lump I'm happy with!

Thanks mate. Getting the problem on both treadmill and road so maybe time to invest in better trainers.

Footwear is really important, I wore Adidas and had 2 knee ligament injuries and loads of niggles inside a few years, changed to Nike Lunaglide, the New Balance and haven't had a problem since. I also changed the way I trained from just endurance, to high intensity intervals. I can still do the running, but improved injuries and fitness as well