By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Random low content stuff

Swan Red

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Begbie said:

This sort of thing is getting silly now

I'm not trying to excuse £19 for 2 bacon baps, but a lot of the responsibility for this is on the festivals. They're charging so much for the pitches that - especially with the current cost of raw ingredients and energy - it's becoming stupid for the stallholders now. Talking to someone on Sunday that was meant to have been doing a bunch of smaller festivals this year but decided to pull out as they would barely break even on them

22 minutes ago, Gethin said:

I'm not trying to excuse £19 for 2 bacon baps, but a lot of the responsibility for this is on the festivals. They're charging so much for the pitches that - especially with the current cost of raw ingredients and energy - it's becoming stupid for the stallholders now. Talking to someone on Sunday that was meant to have been doing a bunch of smaller festivals this year but decided to pull out as they would barely break even on them

Had a couple of rows at fezzies  this year being madly overcharged on the card, like double bubble - one woman tried charging forty quid for two plates of curry rice and chicken.  Reckon they were at it all weekend too cos saw a few other moody faces.  

30 minutes ago, Gethin said:

Yeah I get that this isn't simply a case of the caterers profiteering, but its getting out of control. Festivals used to be great for youngsters, now they cost a fortune and then it's £8 for crap lager in a paper cup and a tenner for a bacon sarnie

Festivals are Tory 

2 minutes ago, Begbie said:

Yeah I get that this isn't simply a case of the caterers profiteering, but its getting out of control. Festivals used to be great for youngsters, now they cost a fortune and then it's £8 for crap lager in a paper cup and a tenner for a bacon sarnie

Festivals are Tory 

The problem at the moment is that everything in hospitality is f***ing expensive to do - in an industry that was already running on tiny profit margins.

Saw a tweet today from the owner of a mini chain of *really* good Spanish places in Cardiff and Bristol (Bar44 group) saying they've just had their leccy bill for the next year - 4 medium sized restaurants and a small 8 bed hotel - is gonna be £0.5m. What are you mean to do with that as business owner? Hospitality (amongst many other things) is about to be utterly f***ed.

(And yeah I absolutely know that some caterers at festivals will be taking the piss, there's knobheads in every industry)

14 minutes ago, Gethin said:

The problem at the moment is that everything in hospitality is f***ing expensive to do - in an industry that was already running on tiny profit margins.

Saw a tweet today from the owner of a mini chain of *really* good Spanish places in Cardiff and Bristol (Bar44 group) saying they've just had their leccy bill for the next year - 4 medium sized restaurants and a small 8 bed hotel - is gonna be £0.5m. What are you mean to do with that as business owner? Hospitality (amongst many other things) is about to be utterly f***ed.

(And yeah I absolutely know that some caterers at festivals will be taking the piss, there's knobheads in every industry)

The point I'm making is that things are too expensive,I'm not apportioning blame to the hospitality industry...I'm just irritated that you can't go to a festival anymore without needing £100 a day for basic food and a few beers. 

I just can't see things working much longer when pints are £6+. It's the secondary impact of this mad inflation 

BTW I know the Bar44 group...I'm from round that way

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Begbie said:

The point I'm making is that things are too expensive,I'm not apportioning blame to the hospitality industry...I'm just irritated that you can't go to a festival anymore without needing £100 a day for basic food and a few beers. 

I just can't see things working much longer when pints are £6+. It's the secondary impact of this mad inflation 

BTW I know the Bar44 group...I'm from round that way

Yeah sorry I guess I'm just trying to get some of my frustrations out whilst empathising a bit with the stalls.

Completely get what you're saying about festivals - hopefully if we're not doing the B&B next year we'll be going to Green Man - but I can see a very likely scenario where festivals aren't happening next year as everything is so expensive that it's financially not possible to put them on.

14 hours ago, Gethin said:

Not quite the same but a friend of mine is a one-woman-band producing art-related objects that she sells for a living. She has stopped altogether doing the fairs and festivals - sitting at a stall all weekend after paying a small fortune for a pitch and then spending her Saturday/Sunday selling next to nothing whilst getting abused or taken for granted by member of the great British public is quite simply not worth the effort.  She's sticking to gallery and online sales only now. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, charlie clown said:

Not quite the same but a friend of mine is a one-woman-band producing art-related objects that she sells for a living. She has stopped altogether doing the fairs and festivals - sitting at a stall all weekend after paying a small fortune for a pitch and then spending her Saturday/Sunday selling next to nothing whilst getting abused or taken for granted by member of the great British public is quite simply not worth the effort.  She's sticking to gallery and online sales only now. 

I remember speaking to someone similar and the costs absolutely baffled me. I think she mentioned one art fair in Cheltenham wanting £2000 for the pitch for a weekend.

11 minutes ago, cymrococh said:

I remember speaking to someone similar and the costs absolutely baffled me. I think she mentioned one art fair in Cheltenham wanting £2000 for the pitch for a weekend.

Its a double whammy as well because you lose the money that you pay out for the pitch but you also lose a day of producing work as well. It needs serious sales to break even when you look at the overall cost to the business.

Two grand for a pitch is shocking though. Wow.

3 minutes ago, charlie clown said:

Its a double whammy as well because you lose the money that you pay out for the pitch but you also lose a day of producing work as well. It needs serious sales to break even when you look at the overall cost to the business.

Two grand for a pitch is shocking though. Wow.

I'm sure i heard about 10 years ago that Glastonbury was £7500 for a food truck so you can see why the prices are crazy.

But presumably they're still making profit.

Edited by cymrococh

Just booked flights to come back to the UK at Christmas. Not been on a plane since September 2020 at the height of COVID. It's exciting to think about seeing the family again but I hate flying and am already anxious about it. Going to have to try out valium, Xanax and whatever else before then I think to get me through it. I wish I could be rational about flights but 6.5 hours in the air followed by a short break and then another 7 just gives me the fear. 

23 minutes ago, Stevie H said:

Just booked flights to come back to the UK at Christmas. Not been on a plane since September 2020 at the height of COVID. It's exciting to think about seeing the family again but I hate flying and am already anxious about it. Going to have to try out valium, Xanax and whatever else before then I think to get me through it. I wish I could be rational about flights but 6.5 hours in the air followed by a short break and then another 7 just gives me the fear. 

Have you ever considered sweet lady booze?

3 hours ago, Stevie H said:

I hate flying but thankfully don't do it very often. I take diazepam and have good few drinks on top.Takes the fear off nicely.

On 17/08/2022 at 22:42, mofus77 said:

Have you ever considered sweet lady booze?

Yeah I generally drink an awful lot before a flight so I can get on board the plane and then hopefully fall asleep. I can't drink on flights though as it makes me want a cigarette.

On 18/08/2022 at 02:10, D.Boon said:

I hate flying but thankfully don't do it very often. I take diazepam and have good few drinks on top.Takes the fear off nicely.

Think diazepam is going to be worth a try this time.