Swan Red

Random low content stuff

16 hours ago, Eskimo said:

Bought a bag of weed last summer, it was an impulse buy probably something to do with recapturing youth or something - I haven't smoked for 15 odd years.

Is it 15 years since that YNWA London do?

36 minutes ago, cymrococh said:

Must be close, I've been in Dorset for 9 years...

2 hours ago, cymrococh said:

Yeah it was 2005 or so.

On 18/03/2020 at 10:07, cymrococh said:

Was after Instanbul wasn't it? So must be.

28 minutes ago, cymrococh said:

I wonder how many companies will get rid of physical offices totally after all this. Must be a big overhead for anyone.

Loads of stuff from my employer about not going back to previous ways of working after this.

Just hope I've still got a job, obviously.

1 hour ago, cymrococh said:

I wonder how many companies will get rid of physical offices totally after all this. Must be a big overhead for anyone.

I was in the process of being in a position where I was going to work from home in a new role three days a week and commute to London three days a week to do my old role which I'm currently doing five days a week from Liverpool. Surely they can't look at it in 6 months time and think I need to do that every single week?

10 hours ago, Earl Hafler said:

Anyone else seen the Starlink satellite trains yet?

Yes, I watched them with my girls the night before last followed by a very bright passing of the ISS.

10 hours ago, Earl Hafler said:

Anyone else seen the Starlink satellite trains yet?

Tell me more...

My Facebook feed has an ad this morning from Vintage Books with a pic of a book called “Appeasing Hitler. Chamberlain, Churchill and the road to war”

with a strapline of “ a finely researched and well-argued book”- *Books of the year * - Daily Mail. 

1 hour ago, Tosh said:

Tell me more...

The Elon Musk satellites? Some sight when they're clearly visible.

Although the whole premise sounds like a Bond plot.

1 hour ago, Redwire said:

Yes, I watched them with my girls the night before last followed by a very bright passing of the ISS.

Yeah, the ISS has been very bright but the sat trains have often been invisible to the naked eye despite the website stating otherwise

Thanks, I looked them up. ISS is over me at about 8pm and the Starlink just before 9. Assuming the light pollution allows

10 minutes ago, Earl Hafler said:

The Elon Musk satellites? Some sight when they're clearly visible.

Although the whole premise sounds like a Bond plot.

Yeah, the ISS has been very bright but the sat trains have often been invisible to the naked eye despite the website stating otherwise

We could see them clearly, at least twenty of them and quite bright.  It was a really clear night and it's relatively dark where I live.

Is it me or is the concept of these satellites really offensive. Musk is unilaterally f***ing up the night sky for commercial gain. There’s going to be tens of thousands of these eventually 

No, I’m with you. Except he’s not the only one sending a network of satellites up. Never mind the rocket fuel...

1 minute ago, Gethin said:

Is it me or is the concept of these satellites really offensive. Musk is unilaterally f***ing up the night sky for commercial gain. There’s going to be tens of thousands of these eventually 

Yeah it is.  He's a prick.

I think the later satellites are going to be much less reflective but he's still a prick.

19 hours ago, Ostrich Man said:

for running a fry up shop?

I have 5 rings on the hob so that leaves a spare for the beans or tomatoes. And I'm unemployed.

3 minutes ago, muleskinner said:

What is the purpose of the Musk satellites ?

I haven't read up on the Musk stuff but have done work bits about low earth orbit satellites designed to create a globe-encompassing network of internet coverage. Ostensibly for connecting remote sites like oil rigs and mines but also ships at sea and remote islands, all by satellite connectivity. 

11 minutes ago, Stevie H said:

I haven't read up on the Musk stuff but have done work bits about low earth orbit satellites designed to create a globe-encompassing network of internet coverage. Ostensibly for connecting remote sites like oil rigs and mines but also ships at sea and remote islands, all by satellite connectivity. 

Yeah it's this, plus rural communities where it's not "economic" to connect them to decent standard broadband.

In 10 years your view of the night sky is going to look radically different as Musk and other companies chuck their satellites up there