By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Joe Gomez

Dan

4 hours ago, Leo No.8 said:

Such a pity for the lad, you do have to assume his knees are going to continue to cause issues.

Players with persistent knee injuries tend to be the ones that have to retire early. You can’t keep causing major damage to your knee which is such a crucial and load bearing area of your leg, without the threat of it jeopardising your mobility later in life.

So this is exactly what we should be doing. From a footballing perspective we should even be looking to upgrade on the Gomez of the last 9 months or so. In his career with us he’s had a couple of spells of outstanding form and a couple of spells of shaky form.

You have to think the injuries are a factor in that. It is such a shame because he’s a class act at his best.

The positive spins are: - 

His career will be longer than most, because he won't have as many miles in his legs by the time he is 32; he could end up being as effective a perma-crock CB as say Paul McGrath or Ledley King; and he will miss the waste of time and effort Euros next Summer. Win-Win-Win, basically.

2 hours ago, JRC said:

The positive spins are: - 

His career will be longer than most, because he won't have as many miles in his legs by the time he is 32; he could end up being as effective a perma-crock CB as say Paul McGrath or Ledley King; and he will miss the waste of time and effort Euros next Summer. Win-Win-Win, basically.

King retired at 32

Keepers could still pick up a back pass when McGrath was 32.

Good luck, Joe. 

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Swipe said:

Really? Due to the injury itself of just the fact it’s another bad one his body has taken?

The severity of this one combined with a couple of the monster ones he’s had but this one sounds bad enough in itself.

I can’t see him back to early 18/19 or mid 19/20 form. I feel like he’ll go the way of Kewell.

4 minutes ago, Barnesy_10 said:

Aye... His body has had to deal with some awful injuries at such a young age. 

Real shame as he would be a long term good option at CB, but he has horrendous luck with injuries 

It feels structural. Why would his whole knee just go like that otherwise.

Yeah true. It’s for the fans that type of thing with VVD isn’t it. Just reassuring people he’s on track. The more I think about it though it must be Gomez is a good bit behind in terms of recovery and probably hasn’t been at the training complex since.

44 minutes ago, sammy & a said:

I think even if he does come back then he is done

I was going to say the same thing Sammy, I have a really bad feeling that he won’t be the same player again, but of course very much hope I’m wrong.

I just don’t think you can suffer repeated major knee injuries like he has and not pay a price.

Injuring yourself this badly when running or kicking a football on your own has to suggest some major weakness in the structure of his knee I would think.

He seems like a great lad, very likeable and down to earth. And on the pitch for a time him and VVD were the best partnership in the business - such a shame. 

Edited by Leo No.8

9 minutes ago, Swipe said:

Yeah true. It’s for the fans that type of thing with VVD isn’t it. Just reassuring people he’s on track. The more I think about it though it must be Gomez is a good bit behind in terms of recovery and probably hasn’t been at the training complex since.

Yeah, think Joe is definitely out for the season, VVD is 2-3 months away at worst hopefully

On a lighter note I missed the stuff about Swipe’s chronic ear wax last time around. Get well soon mate, will you be providing social media updates on your battle with it? Close up pictures of cleaner ear buds, video of someone speaking to you in a normal voice and you hearing them etc. 

Edited by Leo No.8
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

In the interview Gomez did a couple of months ago he mentioned doing lots of weight training when he was a kid - made me wonder whether doing that with a still developing body increases the risk of injury longer term

Klopp made him lose muscle. Said something like you only need that muscle to show off at the beach.