9 hours ago, Redwire said:

That's sad.  He always came across as a good man and was an excellent presenter.

I read that one of the BAFTAs he was involved in was for coverage of the Morecambe Bay cockle pickers disaster.  Was that the one?

Yeah - the Morecambe Bay thing. That was an experience.

2 hours ago, Jarg Armani said:

He seemed really nice. What did he die of?

Cancer

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wish more people were onto him.  I wish more people were onto him.  I wish more people were onto him.  I wish more people were onto him.  I’m not even going to edit that. I do wish

In 1995 I went to Marbella on a Sales Convention with Eagle Star. We had a 'mystery guest', to my absolute delight Big Jack turned up, to my even greater joy I was put in his four ball with him, Tony

Oh bollix

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Bootser said:

Sad to think that Paisley, Craig et al stymied any power sharing with Hume, Mallon, Cooper, Devin, Fitt etc etc. Could have saved so many from death and trauma. Hume was the right man at the right time and a natural leader.

That he was able to get Sinn Fein on board, whilst a masterful stroke, was electoral suicide for the SDLP. Hume must have known that SF had the capacity to eat a large chunk of their vote. A remarkable man. RIP

Duncan Disorderly - I worked in the big White House to Mark Durkan Sr for a few years.  Another intelligent guy.

Aye, I like Mark Durkan (no need for Sr, as his namesake is his nephew/nice fella).

You heard the story about him and Martin McGuinness at one of the early official round-table talks?

Apparently it was a boiling hot day, all sitting round, jackets off, fans blowing, all quite stilted, and Mark was trying to get around Martin's chair, tripped on the lead of a fan, and it fell into Martin's lap, and, quick as a flash, Mark Durkan says:

"Well, that's the first time I've ever seen the fan hit the sh*t..."

The place erupted. And who was laughing the loudest? Martin McGuinness.

14 hours ago, Guatered said:

There were many heroes that helped Northern Ireland out of the Troubles and John Hume was one of the very greatest. One of the best memories of my life is being at that concert at the Waterfront Hall with Ash and U2. He cut a fairly improbably figure on stage with Bono et al but he did it to help get every last vote out for the agreement referendum.

His bravery and lifelong dedication to nonviolence was inspirational. He also gave all the prize money from the Nobel prize straight to charity.

I wonder if he knew that the Good Friday Agreement would also end up resulting in the SDLP being thoroughly eclipsed by SF? The nature of the power sharing agreement has favoured more hardline parties, on both sides. In any case - he gave everything he had to achieving the peace agreement that has made immeasurable impact on the lives of everyone in Northern Ireland. 

A true great, RIP John Hume. 

He knew for certain it would be to the detriment of the SDLP, but he was no political egotist. The number of times when in the States he refused donations to the party and insisted they invest in jobs in Derry instead, says it all about how he was dedicated to the betterment of the people and society above any selfish political gains.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Durkan told me that during the final push to get the GFA over the line there were ‘into the night’ negotiations. This was all fuelled by tea and coffee trolleys appearing very hour or so. 

The Unionist mantra and the sticking point was the the question of decommissioning IRA weapons; no guns- no deal. When the trolley arrived about 3am with just tea and coffee apparently some SDLP wag shouted ‘No buns- no deal’. 

A candle was lit in ours at 9pm. 

• Haha 1
On 05/08/2020 at 08:35, Bootser said:

Durkan told me that during the final push to get the GFA over the line there were ‘into the night’ negotiations. This was all fuelled by tea and coffee trolleys appearing very hour or so. 

The Unionist mantra and the sticking point was the the question of decommissioning IRA weapons; no guns- no deal. When the trolley arrived about 3am with just tea and coffee apparently some SDLP wag shouted ‘No buns- no deal’. 

A candle was lit in ours at 9pm. 

Yeah, we lit a candle for him too.

A life well lived.

Not really a famous guy, but a friend of mine died over the weekend from a head injury sustained a year ago. He used to work for Joe Kennedy Jr and they were visiting NI in the early 80’s leading some Irish-American delegation. They stopped at a checkpoint and the British soldiers there gave them a bit of a hard time. One of them said:

”Why don’t you go back to your own country”. 

To which Jim replied:

”Why don’t you go back to yours”. 

RIP mate. 

• 2 weeks later...