New York Red

The US President

3 minutes ago, Flasher said:

Golf is loved and played by many that can't afford private courses, including me. 

There's s*** loads of green space for people to walk around without closing clubs. 

Come to my club, its council owned, full, and used by working class golfers, which I'd suggest most golfers in this country are. 

Meanwhile loads of green space around us that is barely used, if used at all. 

Given the contraction in the golf market, private courses are going to have to make themselves more affordable or go out of business.

If (as Raj said) a private company can't make it work financially then the council can't be making money off it either. So the space needs to be put to more productive uses. Football, rugby, hockey, walking trails & safe cycling routes would all bring way more people into using a publicly owned green space.

Not specifically singling out Bootle here - same applies to any council owned course.

3 minutes ago, Gethin said:

Given the contraction in the golf market, private courses are going to have to make themselves more affordable or go out of business.

If (as Raj said) a private company can't make it work financially then the council can't be making money off it either. So the space needs to be put to more productive uses. Football, rugby, hockey, walking trails & safe cycling routes would all bring way more people into using a publicly owned green space.

Not specifically singling out Bootle here - same applies to any council owned course.

Golf, football, rugby, hockey, all in the same boat. All take too long and are now socially unacceptable for a family man, participation numbers e off a cliff. Gym and cycling are the new leisure pursuits, you will be getting your wish Gethin, for sure. A members club which can be sold off for development is pretty much f*cked in most cases.

Local Councils should take ownership of the private courses.

Councils should be supporting a wide range of activities including golf.

Our local municipal golf course has turned into a motor cross track since it closed a couple of years back.

I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

3 minutes ago, Swan Red said:

Local Councils should take ownership of the private courses.

Councils should be supporting a wide range of activities including golf.

If the club own the freehold, they can't just take ownership. The council generally does encourage and support activities which help the general health of the community, that it isn't enough is down to funding. Skint councils selling off school land to build houses is something to get properly pissed off with.

4 minutes ago, RedSalmon said:

Our local municipal golf course has turned into a motor cross track since it closed a couple of years back.

I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

I'll bet you wouldn't say that if your house backed onto it?

2 minutes ago, Murphman said:

Golf, football, rugby, hockey, all in the same boat. All take too long and are now socially unacceptable for a family man, participation numbers e off a cliff. Gym and cycling are the new leisure pursuits, you will be getting your wish Gethin, for sure. A members club which can be sold off for development is pretty much f*cked in most cases.

Have a think about how many football, rugby and hockey pitches you can put in the space taken by a golf course. I'm not anti-golf but it's a huge drain on space, money & environmental resources for a publicly owned space.

Also the bit in bold, dear lord you're showing your age :nono:

Anyway this probably should move over to the golf thread - I'll leave this one for Macca ranting about being banned from Twitter for yelling at Trump....

5 minutes ago, Murphman said:

If the club own the freehold, they can't just take ownership. The council generally does encourage and support activities which help the general health of the community, that it isn't enough is down to funding. Skint councils selling off school land to build houses is something to get properly pissed off with.

I'll bet you wouldn't say that if your house backed onto it?

I'm talking about nationalising land Murph

Just now, Gethin said:

Have a think about how many football, rugby and hockey pitches you can put in the space taken by a golf course. I'm not anti-golf but it's a huge drain on space, money & environmental resources for a publicly owned space.

Also the bit in bold, dear lord you're showing your age :nono:

Anyway this probably should move over to the golf thread - I'll leave this one for Macca ranting about being banned from Twitter for yelling at Trump....

There is no shortage of pitches for all these things. I could give you some numbers to illustrate the decline but won't bore you. A typical day of golf, booze then go home to wifey and the kids after 6 hours doesn't work these days is all I'm saying.

2 minutes ago, Swan Red said:

I'm talking about nationalising land Murph

I gathered that Vic but I think the ability to do that is in a world many years away.

3 minutes ago, Murphman said:

I gathered that Vic but I think the ability to do that is in a world many years away.

happens all the time mate, you ever heard of a CPO

1 minute ago, Murphman said:

A typical day of golf, booze then go home to wifey and the kids after 6 hours doesn't work these days is all I'm saying.

No sports club will thrive in this day and age if that's what it's catering for. That's a good thing.

These days, women are just as likely to want to play sport - and want it to be in an environment where they're treated as equals. Most sports have an image problem to overcome in that regard. Golf is one of the worst and it may surprise you to learn that cycling is almost as bad for inherent sexism

2 hours ago, Gethin said:

If (as Raj said) a private company can't make it work financially then the council can't be making money off it either. 

I don’t agree with that at all in many circumstances and industries

in this instance, the council owned the land and it was leased by a private company. I don’t know what the terms of the deal were but I doubt it was cheap. In essence it’s a cost saving which could turn a loss into a profit 

either way. I think there’s space for all these services for the community.

Edited by Raj

11 hours ago, Murphman said:

Firstly I was amazed such a place existed.

Secondly, I was really amazed to read this.

Bootle Golf Course is currently maintained by Sefton Council and is open for pay & play 7 days a week. Our membership currently stands at 121, approximately 20% of whom play off single figure handicaps and they are the heartbeat of our club. In addition to weekly competitions, many club members enjoy outings to other golf courses at home and abroad and participate in many external events.

Any idea how many rounds a year they get? Bethpage is near me and they have five courses that each do 40-50K rounds a year. It makes a ton of money.

9 hours ago, Swan Red said:

happens all the time mate, you ever heard of a CPO

Yes but they involve money and compensation and that. Which is fine, but you and I know given the licence to do so you you would just take it and tell the golfers to f*ck off?  🙃

9 hours ago, muleskinner said:

Be nice lids

This is all cool Muley, in fact I've been mightily impressed with the courtesy shown by and to all, proper respectful.

Apart from that loppy haired c*nt Macca, obviously.

Nationalisation often involves compensation paid and I don't want golfers to f*** off I want the clubs to. Council ownership, some democratisation of the clubs look at what other shared usage is possible to protect the players not the owners. In areas with a lot there may be some consolidation or whatever based on usage.

19 minutes ago, Swan Red said:

Nationalisation often involves compensation paid and I don't want golfers to f*** off I want the clubs to. Council ownership, some democratisation of the clubs look at what other shared usage is possible to protect the players not the owners. In areas with a lot there may be some consolidation or whatever based on usage.

A club typically is owned by the members and has vacancies for anybody who wishes to join. Members clubs are non profit making organisations run by elected fixed term Captain, committees and/or board with paid employees including a manager. They  creates jobs and actively encourage youngsters to get involved. The fees reflect the quality of the course, if not they go skint.

How do you democratise that, as I wrote my thoughts down it occurred to me it sounds like a commune open to all?

Public courses only differ in that they are run by the local authority, there really isn't that much difference these days. Bournemouth have two public courses that are little short of superb. 

Edited by Murphman

20 hours ago, Murphman said:

Firstly I was amazed such a place existed.

Secondly, I was really amazed to read this.

Bootle Golf Course is currently maintained by Sefton Council and is open for pay & play 7 days a week. Our membership currently stands at 121, approximately 20% of whom play off single figure handicaps and they are the heartbeat of our club. In addition to weekly competitions, many club members enjoy outings to other golf courses at home and abroad and participate in many external events.

I play at a Municipal, we have 148 club members and 30 of them are single figures which works out at 21.42%. We have bigger and more prestigious clubs on our doorstep (ex Open qualifying). The 7 what used to be "Council" courses are now ran by a Trust, although Council members are on the board. This has allowed investment through machinery/infrastructure etc and has helped the course.

Unfortunately for the club you can buy a season ticket and choose not to be a member of the club, think last years figures were nearly 600 season tickets sold.Add the Pay and Play figures to that and we are a very busy course.

We are spoiled up here being "The Home of Golf" but clubs are still struggling and can see some shutting due to the present situation.

(Should this not be in the Golf thread???) 

15 minutes ago, Murphman said:

A club typically is owned by the members and has vacancies for anybody who wishes to join. Members clubs are non profit making organisations run by elected fixed term Captain, committees and/or board with paid employees including a manager. They  creates jobs and actively encourage youngsters to get involved. The fees reflect the quality of the course, if not they go skint.

How do you democratise that, as I wrote my thoughts down it occurred to me it sounds like a commune open to all?

Public courses only differ in that they are run by the local authority, there really isn't that much difference these days. Bournemouth have two public courses that are little short of superb. 

Join us again next week for Grandpa f*cks Grammar

5 minutes ago, muleskinner said:

Golf could be good to continue couldnt it, pretty solitary and outside.

Yeah, been walking/running/ up to Crosby a fair bit the last week and they're still open at West Lancs and no real reason why they should shut presuming they can come up with some way of stopping people touching flags and rakes. 

13 minutes ago, Hightown Phil said:

Yeah, been walking/running/ up to Crosby a fair bit the last week and they're still open at West Lancs and no real reason why they should shut presuming they can come up with some way of stopping people touching flags and rakes. 

The rule is now all flags are left in the hole when you putt, all rakes removed from traps. You do your best in a bunker by smoothing over footprints with your shoe, the green keepers paying regular visits (allegedly) with their own personal rake.

Let's hope the Welsh grammar Nazi dOESnt have a problem with this...